Thursday 01st September 2005

Edwards nets rare goal as Kent rivals share points

Tuesday 22nd
November 2005
Ryman Premier League Steve Wells reports from Hartsdown Park
Margate 1 Edwards 74
Bromley 1 McDonnell 72 (pen)

The 1-1 score-line only tells half the story of another entertaining game between the two Kent rivals, writes Steve Wells.

There were two sendings off: Colin Luckett (two bookable offences) and Lawrence Yiga (a straight red card for a two-footed challenge). In addition, Frank Coles, a member of the Bromley coaching staff was ordered from the dugout.

Bromley’s goal came from a harsh looking penalty decision and the Margate goal – a real collectors item - from Bill Edwards.

For Gate, John Keister was restored to the side after missing out against Windsor and Charlie Mitten looked to be carrying a thigh or hamstring strain – Edwards or James Donavan taking the goal kicks.

The game started in open fashion with both sets of attacking players involved. For Margate, Osman Sesay and Adolph Amoako (against his former club) were prominent, as was Barry Gardener for the visitors with his over-lapping right-wing runs.

The was a moment of panic for the Bromley defence when a wayward defensive header by Joe Vines left keeper Andy Walker with little choice but to clear for a throw in from just outside his area as the Margate forwards closed him down at pace.

Then from another throw on the left, the Blues fashioned a chance for Anthony Allman on 12 minutes. Dean Standen found Charlie Taylor from the throw. Taylor moved towards the edge of the area – twisting and turning with the close attention of Bromley defenders, before slipping the ball to Allman who hit a low effort from the edge of the box, that Walker saved comfortably.

A minute later, Bromley broke quickly through the middle, Jones Awuah picking the ball up just outside the area before firing in a shot that flew just wide of Charlie Mitten’s left post.

Then on 14 minutes, Margate won a corner – their first of the match – on the right. Standen floated the ball into the far post where Allman hit a left foot shot that Walker was well positioned to save from the middle of his goal.

Bromley responded in kind – Gardner and Fraser Logan combining well before Gardner himself hit a half volley goal-wards that Mitten saved comfortably.

For Margate, Taylor had an effort on 20 minutes that once again the keeper was equal to. Three minutes later, Osman Sesay crossed form the right and Gavin McGowan – another former Bromley man – headed just wide of Walker’s left post.

On the half hour mark, Margate lost possession just outside their own area. Bromley top scorer Nic McDonald pounced, firing in an effort from 20 yards that went just wide of Mitten’s right post.

Then Gary Drewett tried his luck from distance, but his effort was weak and lacked direction. With 36 minutes on the clock, Bromley came within a whisker of opening the scoring. Awuah found Gardner on the edge of the Margate area from where the Bromley full back unleashed a stunning left foot rising drive that hit the bar and then went out for a goal kick.

With five minutes to go to half time, Margate won another corner after good work from Edwards and Allman – Edwards putting in the cross that won the corner. Standen’s corner dropped invitingly in the Bromley area before Edwards' effort was cleared by a combination of keeper and defender for the visitors.

On the stroke of half time, Margate showed some neat touches moving through midfield. Allman’s throw-in found Keister who neatly turned his man and found McGowan. McGowan slipped the ball back to Keister who in turn found Allman, who checked, went inside his man before crossing for Amoako on the edge of the six-yard box, but Walker beat him to the ball.

Margate had a scare in the opening stages of the second half when Mark Willy’s effort hit the bar, but the assistant referee had flagged for offside.

But then the Blues had a golden chance to open the scoring. Mitten came quickly off his line to claim the ball ahead of the approaching Bromley forwards. He cleared quickly to Keister who found Amoako. The Margate front man then found Taylor who from 10 yards out fired his effort over the bar.

On 52 minutes, Colin Luckett’s challenge on a Margate player earned him a second yellow card of the match, and dismissal. Then, Bromley coach Coles was ordered from the dugout presumably for protesting too much about the previous decision.

Seven minutes later, Taylor went close again for the home side when hitting a right foot effort from just inside the Bromley box – Walker needing to be at his best to save.

On 69 minutes, Bromley went close when Sam Wood’s cross-come-shot looked to be dropping into the goal but Mitten was alert to the danger and caught the ball safely, under his bar. Margate attacked through midfield with Keister. He found Standen who lined up a long-range effort – his shot flying just inches over Walker’s bar.

But three minutes later, Bromley went ahead from the penalty spot when a Margate defender was judged by referee to be pushing down Awuah. Top scorer Nic McDonnell stepped up to fire his spot kick out of Mitten’s reach.

Bromley’s lead only lasted two minutes. Margate won a corner on the right. Standen took the kick and Bill Edwards came in at the near post to powerfully head home for a deserved equaliser.

Then with two minutes to go, Edwards went close to claiming a second goal. McGowan was involved in some good build up play. Edwards picked up possession on the edge of the Bromley area and hit a rising effort that flew just over the bar.

On the stroke of full time, substitute Yiga was (according to some observers) unfortunate to be shown a red card for a two-footed challenge on Drewett, leaving both sides to finish the game with 10 men.

Margate: Mitten, Sesay, Allman, Edwards, Okikiolu, Donovan, Keister, McGowan, Amaoko (Corbett), Taylor (Yiga), Standen.
Subs: Egan, Hilaire, Remy.

Bromley: Walker, Gardner, Luckett, Vines, Willy, Henriques, Drewett, Logan, Awuah (Falana), McDonald, Wood.
Subs not used: McLeod, Stone, Collier, Boateng.