Thursday 01st September 2005

McGowan makes a point


Tuesday 20th
September 2005
Ryman Premier League Stephen McCartney reports from The Courage Stadium
Bromley 2 Tutu Henriques 25
Des Boateng 66
Margate 2 Daniel Sacha 73
Gavin McGowan 90

A goal 24 seconds into stoppage time by former Bromley midfielder Gavin McGowan salvaged a point for Margate at The Courage Stadium tonight, writes Stephen McCartney.

Since beating Maldon Town (1-0) on the opening day of the season, and then losing 2-1 at Staines Town in their next match, the Thanet side have now drawn their last six Ryman Premier League games, but they left it late tonight with two goals in the final seventeen minutes.

An impressive first half display from Bromley saw defender Tutu Henriques score his first goal of the season and midfielder, Des Boateng's second of the campaign - both headers - put the home side in the driving seat after 66 minutes.

But it was Margate that had the first chance of the game after seven minutes, when Dean Standen's corner - the third of the game - was met by an unmarked Hasim Deen, who powered his header wide of the post.

And at the other end, chances went to Henry Darko, who shot wide following a poor throw from Margate goalkeeper Charlie Mitten went straight to him, and Barry Gardner's 25-yard effort sailed over.

Bromley striker, Adolph Amoako's glancing header, following a cross from Allan McLeod went wide before they deservedly took a 25th minute lead.

The impressive Fraser Logan sent in a corner to the near post and Henriques nipped in front of Mitten to plant a header inside the post from close range.

Logan went agonisingly close to doubling the score three minutes later when the Scotsman unleashed a low, left-footed drive from 30-yards, which thumped against the foot of the right upright.

Darren Watson had replaced Kola Okikiou (thigh) early on and he flicked Mitten's long clearance into Ian Hillaire's path but the front runner wasted the chance.

On the stroke of half time, Warren Ryan's long range effort sailed over Andy Walker's bar and Logan dragged McLeod's pass agonisingly wide of the far post, with Darko racing in.

The second half, however, wasn't as lively as the first, but Margate's Ellis Remy headed a cross from the right agonisingly wide of the far post before Bromley deservedly doubled their lead on 66 minutes.

Logan's cross found Boateng unmarked inside the Bromley penalty area and his header flew past Mitten's outstretched hand to crash into the net.

Surely the three points will be heading Bromley's way? Well, no, as substitute Daniel Sacha stroked a 25-yard free kick to Walker's left to keep Margate's hopes alive with 17 minutes left.

Both sets of fans were clapping after 88 minutes, when Mark Tompkins - once again back in Bromley colours after a brief spell with Whyteleafe - latched onto Mitten's poor clearance some 40 yards from goal, and after taking a touch forward, sent the ball goalwards with the outside of his boot. The goalkeeper, however, made a fine recovery, backpeddling, he tipped the ball over from underneath the crossbar.

But when Standen's shot was blocked inside the Bromley box, McGowan was there to continue Margate's drawing sequence and send the Bromley fans home disappointed.

Speaking after the game, Margate manager Chris Kinnear told "I don't think any of us are pleased with the performance really, but pleased with at least the character to come back.

"We keep changing the side and were just disjointed.

"Greg Oates unfortunately has got family problems and our thoughts are going out to him and his family, but hopefully he'll be back for Saturday.

"It's difficult because we lost Kola (Okikiou) after 15 minutes, and I thought we started very sharply - we just lost our way when he had to go off."

Bromley manager, George Wakeling added: "Yes, very disappointed.  It's two goals in the last 17 minutes, both at home but we've just got to get over it and move on.

"It's displeasing that we've got a lot of players out and it's difficult but at the end of the day the game was there to be won but we lost it."

Sitting in the stands watching their team-mates draw their Kent rivals were Steve Potterill, Sam Wood, Gary Drewett, Mark Willy, Wade Falana and Nic McDonnell, and its the lengthy injury list that is concerning the Bromley manager.

"I want to get players fit, that's my problem," he said.  "They need games, they need to train.  As they get out there one after the other are dropping out with different injuries and it's very frustrating."

Speaking about their season so far - 10 points from a possible 24, Wakeling admitted: "Well, it could have been better and I think injuries have played a big part.  But we've could have done better and you'd agree with that.  I'd like to pick from a big squad."

Wakeling has been given a boost with good news concerning his managerial colleague Billy Smith following major heart surgery.

"Billy's doing well, he's not 100% to watch our games as he gets excited but at the end of the day it won't be long before he comes to watch us."

Both clubs are at home in the FA Cup second qualifying round on Saturday.  Margate host Carshalton and Chipstead visit The Courage Stadium - and Wakeling demands victory.

"We've got to go into the game confident against a team below us in the divisions and we're playing at home.  If we don't win that then we need our backsides kicked, don't we?"

Bromley: Andy Walker, Allan McLeod (capt, Andrew Julius HT), Colin Luckett, Joe Vines, Tutu Henriques, Des Boateng, Barry Gardner, Adam Locke, Adolph Amoako, Fraser Logan, Henry Darko (Mark Tompkins 68).  Sub: Kris Chin

Margate: Charlie Mitten, Samuel Kola Okikiou (Darren Watson 14, Osman Sesey 87), Mark Green (Capt), Bill Edwards, Hasim Deen, Gavin McGowan, Warren Ryan, Jermiane Brown, Ellis Remy, Ian Hillaire (Daniel Sacha 61), Dean Standen.  Subs: Paul Egan (GK), Andrew Burke

Attendance:  362
Referee:  Tony Mason (Sidcup)
Assistants:  Ian Fissenden & Mr T Cogley