Welling United 2-3 Ebbsfleet United - I want to be successful at Ebbsfleet, says Jamie Day

Tuesday 23rd December 2014

(after extra time)
The FA Trophy First Round Replay
Tuesday 23rd December 2014
Stephen McCartney reports from Park View Road

JAMIE DAY says he wants to bring success to Ebbsfleet United after returning to Park View Road to knock his old club out of The FA Trophy.

The two sides were locked at 1-1 in the First Round tie at Stonebridge Road on 13 December, but Day won his first game in charge of The Fleet by winning the replay after extra-time.

Welling United, who went into the game sitting in sixteenth-place in the Vanarama Conference table with 32 points from 26 games, nine points clear of the relegation zone, grabbed a 2-0 lead at the break.

But Ebbsfleet United, who arrived at Park View Road in the top five in the Vanarama Conference South table with 32 points from 20 games – ten points adrift of leaders Boreham Wood – sealed a deserved victory, despite finishing the game with ten men.

The Wings had grabbed the lead – against the run of play – when Kieron St Aimie, 25, scored from the spot, before on-loan striker Tyrone Marsh, 20, drilled home a second right on half-time.

But winger Brendan Kiernan scored his first goal for Ebbsfleet early in the second half before Anthony Cook, 25, came off the bench to force extra-time.

Ebbsfleet United played the final eleven minutes of extra-time with ten men after former Welling United defender Anthony Acheampong picked up his second yellow card.

Ebbsfleet United will now welcome former player Adrian Pennock and his Forest Green Rovers side to Stonebridge Road in the Second Round on 10 January after Matt Godden, 23, scored the winner with three minutes remaining.

It proved to be a happy return for Day, 35.

He said: “If I’m being honest, I thought we were the better team.  I thought we started the game really well, created a good amount of chances in the first half – similar to Saturday (a 1-0 home defeat to Weston-super-Mare) – and we didn’t take them.

“It was a silly penalty to give away. It was definitely a penalty.  I don’t know what Anthony is doing there and then I thought we were on the front foot again.

“We got done on a break right at the death at half-time so I was disappointed with that.  I think that was the only two things in the half that I was not pleased with.

“At half-time we had a little chat and we felt if we kept the same tempo, the same desire, then we’ll get ourselves back in to the game and credit to the boys for the performance that they put in for the whole 90 minutes and extra-time. I can’t praise them highly enough.”

Injured right-back Loui Fazakerley, 30, was in caretaker charge for Welling United and was disappointed with the exit.

He said: “Just very disappointing, especially after a good first half that we had.

“Disappointing to start the second half the way we did and I thought we actually did quite well in extra-time, showed good character and we had a chance to win the game when they went down to ten men but they had a moment of quality and ended up winning the game.”

New Welling United manager Jody Brown watched the game from the stands and it was the Fleet that created the first chance after only 79 seconds through Godden, who drilled a low shot from 20-yards which forced Liechtenstein international Benjamin Buchel, 25, diving low to his right to make the save at the second attempt.

Ebbsfleet United should have taken the lead inside seven minutes.

Joe Howe threw the ball to winger Kiernan, who whipped in a low centre towards the near post, which was spilt by Buchel and Godden swept his shot against the crossbar and the ball came out to Matt Johnson to drill his first time shot over.

Day said: “We created a load (of chances) on Saturday, just didn’t take them and tonight.

“Matty had a chance first minute and after that we’ve had four or five opportunities so we’re creating, we just have to make sure we put them in the net and kill games off earlier.”

Fazakerley added: “They were good going forward, quite a threat going forward so we always knew they were going to be dangerous and they were going to create chances. It was just a matter of defending well.”

Welling United took 12 minutes to create their first opening.

Sam Corne hooked a diagonal ball from right to left to the unmarked Malachi Hudson, the striker curling his right-footed shot around the far post from sixteen-yards.

Ebbsfleet United were enjoying plenty of possession but Welling United grabbed the lead against the run of play in the 28th minute.

Left-back Chris Bush clipped a free-kick from the half-way line towards the inside of the penalty area and Aristide Bassele was brought down by Acheampong and referee David Rock pointed to the spot.

Brandon Hall was left rooted to the spot as St Aimie drilled his right-footed free-kick into the left-hand corner.

Fazakerley said: “He’s confident at the moment. He’s been playing well, scoring goals so I was really confident when he stepped up to take that.”

Day added: “It was a definite penalty.  It was a stupid bit of play from Anthony. He didn’t get up well enough and ended up getting himself under the ball and fouling Bass. I’m disappointed with that because at that time we was on top of the game.”

The game then turned into a bit of a feisty affair, but Ebbsfleet United went close when set-piece specialist Daryl McMahon floated in a free-kick into the Welling box and Kenny Clark came up from the back to power his header wide from fifteen-yards.

The Fleet called Buchel into action again in the 36th minute when Howe clipped the ball forward from left-back, the ball was chested across field by substitute Billy Bricknell and Godden’s low right-footed drive from 30-yards was saved low to the keeper’s right.

Buchel got his body behind the ball to catch McMahon’s right-footed driven free-kick from 35-yards.

Welling United doubled their lead with only their second shot on target inside injury time.

Fazakerely added: “It’s good stats, it’s good numbers!”

Hudson played the ball inside to Corne, who played a sublime low defence splitting pass into the box which was back-heeled by Bassele and Marsh drilled his shot into the bottom near corner from eight-yards.

Fazakerley said: “Ty’s been on form as well. He’s been excellent for us. He’s starting to score more goals. He always works hard, he’s always played well. It’s just a matter of him just getting the goals to finish off his performance and he’s been doing that recently.”

Day added: “We know what Tyrone’s capable of doing – I brought him here so if you give him a chance, he takes it!

“We got caught out and the timing of the goal is not great, just before half-time as well, so I was disappointed with that but we got in, regrouped and went again.”

Marsh’s ninth goal for Welling United while on loan from Oxford United ensured Ebbsfleet United faced a mountain to climb.

Both were asked their thoughts at the break.

Fazakerley said: “Just basically said it was a good half. Told them not to take the foot of the gas. Told them we want more of the same in the second half, to expect Ebbsfleet to come out and be a bit more direct, which they were and it’s a shame we haven’t managed to hold them off.”

Day added: “I felt if we could get a goal in the first fifteen minutes of the second half, we’d put them on the back foot and I felt we was the better team.  Once we got that and kept pushing and kept going at them, I’m pleased that we got the second one and the win in extra-time.”

The Fleet came out with all guns blazing and dominated large chunks of the second half.

Striker Bricknell flashed his right-footed angled drive just past the foot of the far post from 20-yards inside the opening two minutes, before Johnson headed down Howe’s cross into Buchel’s hands for a comfortable save.

Ebbsfleet United’s fight-back started in the 51st minute when former AFC Wimbledon, Bromley and Lingfield winger Kiernan scored.

Midfielder Johnson clipped a fine ball over the top of Bush to release Alex Osborn down the right and he swept the ball across the face of the penalty area to the unmarked Kiernan to sweep his shot into the bottom left-hand corner.

Day said: “We played some good football. I felt we scored some good goals tonight, all three of our goals were good so good play from the boys.

“We said about the wide players attacking the far post and it happened twice tonight and we got two goals from it.

“They’re listening and taking on board what we’re saying. We’ve not had a load of sessions with them but it’s pleasing when people start listening and they want to learn and you get the rewards for it.”

Fazakerley felt the goal should have been chalked off.

“To me it looked offside,” he said.

“So it’s just a matter of the linesman making the right decision.  The first ball over the top could’ve been dealt with.  There was a deep runner so I was disappointed with that but then obviously the decision didn’t go out way.”

Ebbsfleet sensed blood and they kept Welling United on the back foot and it was a case of the higher-league hosts hanging on.

Huke won the ball from Hudson as the Welling attacker attempted to break down the left and Huke whipped in a cross which Jamal Fyfield’s stabbed clearance went to Godden, who teed up McMahon who drilled his left-footed shot high over the bar from 20-yards.

Osborn then teed up Bricknell on the edge of the box and the six-goal striker drilled his right-footed shot past the near post.

The introduction of talented winger Cook inspired Ebbsfleet United to increase the pressure on Welling.

Cook issued a warning when he drilled his right-footed half-volley past the near post from 20-yards, before McMahon flashed his 30-yard drive past the far post.

But Welling United should have killed the game off with fifteen minutes left.

Substitute Charlie Penny was introduced and the former Millwall striker reached the by-line to cut the ball back to the unmarked Bassele, who inexplicably missed the rolling ball completely inside the box - and the chance of progressing through to the next round.

“When you have chances you have to take them because if you don’t take them you end up getting punished down at the other end so it’s just a shame we didn’t make a connection with that,” said Fazakerley.

Welling United were to rue that missed opportunity because Cook’s fifth goal of the season brought Ebbsfleet United deservedly level with eight minutes left.

McMahon swung in a corner from the right, the ball was headed away but dropped to Cook, who took a touch before drilling his right-footed shot through a crowd of players into the bottom left-hand corner from sixteen-yards.

“He’s got pace, he’s direct, got good feet and I think he won the corner,” said Day.

“It was a good delivery and he reacted the quickest in the box. He’s reacted to a knock down, a good touch, a cool finish.

“I’m pleased that he’s picked up the second ball.”

Fazakerley clearly wasn’t, adding, “The ball got headed out and you’ve got to close down a little bit better than that!

“He’s managed to work his way through and get his shot off so I was disappointed that no-one could get a block or prevent that from happening.”

Ebbsfleet United created two further chances to win it before the end of normal time.

Cook went close with a free-kick from the corner of the box, which dipped narrowly over the crossbar.

Cook then made progress down the right channel before cutting the ball back to Johnson, who whipped in a first time cross and Godden held his head in his hands in agony after planting his header over the bar.

Day admitted: “Matt said he should’ve scored it.  He had a free header. It was a good leap to be fair to him. He should’ve hit the target but again he’s missed a chance but he gets himself in the box and gets the winner so credit to him and credit to the boys.”

Both teams clearly didn’t want extra-time, especially with Welling United travelling to Dover Athletic – and Ebbsfleet United travelling to Chelmsford City -on Boxing Day.

Fazakerley said: “The legs are going to be a little bit heavier for our game on Friday.  We could’ve done without that but if we would’ve gone on and won then we wouldn’t have minded it – it’s just frustrating!”

Day said: “In fairness we could’ve done without the game tonight. I’d rather have had training but when they put in that type of effort and that type of work rate then it’s pleasing.”

There were only three chances created during the first period of extra-time.

Ebbsfleet United created the first, in the 12th minute, when Huke launched one of his trademark throws into the box, which came out to Howe at the far post and the defender directed his header straight into Buchel’s gloves for a comfortable catch.

Ebbsfleet United keeper Hall made his first saves of the game towards the end of the first period.

Corne whipped in a corner from the right, the ball was flicked on by Jamal Fyfield – who was immense in the air all night – and the ball fell at St Aimie’s feet but the unmarked striker stroked his right-footed shot straight at the keeper’s legs.

Fazakerley knew it was a great chance to win the game and the £5,000 in prize money.

“Exactly! Once again when you get your chances you have to put them away because they’ve got some good attacking players and they will punish you when they get their chances. We’ve got to try to take our chances in the future.”

Barney Williams then whipped in a cross from the right and Marsh cracked a right-footed volley, which was saved by Hall at the near post.

Day said: “That for me is a sign of a good goalkeeper, when you’ve not had much to do in the game and then you’re called upon to pull out a fantastic save, point blank range to keep us in it.

“It wouldn’t have been justice had they won the game because of the way we dominated so much but the keeper’s pulled off a good save when we needed and got us to win.”

Welling United fancied their chances when Acheampong was shown his second yellow card with eleven minutes of the game left for bringing down Bassele.

Day said: “I can’t argue with it. Anthony’s dived in when he didn’t need to. It was a definitely a yellow card and you can’t argue with it.”

Fazakerley added: “Oh well, two yellows. It’s going to happen. I thought we could go on then and actually nick the game and win the game so we tried to push players on but got caught out going the other way.”

Bush drilled his speculative left-footed free-kick wide from 35-yards, before Bassele cut into the box and whipped his low shot across Hall and agonisingly past the far post.

The Wings were pressing for the winner, but McMahon, 31, produced a moment of quality for Ebbsfleet United to seal the deserved victory.

McMahon exchanged a one-two with Johnson, then turned Bush on the corner of the box before whipping in an excellent cross towards the far post and Godden swept home the winner from six-yards to send their fans into raptures.

Day said: “It’s a great bit of feet for someone so old! He showed a bit of pace as well and then Macca’s got that quality to pick out someone at the far post. Great delivery when needed and pleased for Matty attacking it and putting it at the back of the net.”

Fazakerley added: “It was a good piece of skill from McMahon but you’ve got to stop crosses going into the box. You’ve got to make a better effort.  Also the marking once the cross came in wasn’t good enough as well. There’s areas to address.”

Day is relishing meeting his former Welling United manager Pennock in the next round of The FA Trophy.

“I loved my time playing here for Aidy,” said Day.

“I’ve got a lot of respect for him and I’ve taken some of what I learnt from him into my management style, so I’m looking forward to it.

“I speak to him on a regular basis so it’s going to be a real tough game. They’re a very good side, very organised, good outfit with very good players so it’s not going to be easy but if we show what we’ve shown tonight, we’ll give ourselves a chance of getting something from the game.”

Reflecting on his swift return to Welling United, Day said: “It probably still hasn’t hit properly yet. When you come out remembering what side to go but I had a real great time here and it’s still pleasing to see the boys performing to good levels.

“Obviously now for me it’s a new adventure and one I’m really looking forward to and I want to be successful at this club.

“That (my time at Welling) has moved away now and I’m fully focused on getting Ebbsfleet to where they want to be. It’s not going to be easy but one I’m really looking forward to and I want to be successful.”

Fazakerley was asked how it felt with Day standing in the opposite dug-out.

“It’s a new experience tonight, it was quite a strange experience especially I’ve been playing underneath him for the last six seasons.

“When the game’s going on you don’t even think about those things, you just think about the game but yes I would’ve liked to be on the end of the right result but it wasn’t to be.

“I’m disappointed, but it’s now time to focus on the league now.”

Welling United: Benjamin Buchel, Barney Williams, Chris Bush, Jake Gallagher, Zachari Fagan, Jamal Fyfield, Aristide Bassele, Sam Corne, Malachi Hudson (Charlie Penny 75), Kieron St Aimie, Tyrone Marsh.
Subs: Archie Johnson, Marcus Kempton, Louis Birch, Charlie Plummer

Goals: Kieron St Aimie 28 (penalty), Tyrone Marsh 45

Booked: Jake Gallagher 32, Chris Bush 73, Charlie Penny 86, Kieron St Aimie 108

Ebbsfleet United: Brandon Hall, Shane Huke, Joe Howe, Dean Rance (Billy Bricknell 28), Anthony Acheampong, Kenny Clark, Matt Johnson, Daryl McMahon, Alex Osborn (Anthony Cook 68), Matthew Godden, Brendan Kiernan (Karn Miller-Neave 106).

Goals: Brendan Kiernan 51, Anthony Cook 82, Matthew Godden 117

Booked: Alex Osborn 30, Anthony Acheampong 85

Sent Off: Anthony Acheampong 109

Attendance: 616
Referee: Mr David Rock (Hertford, Hertfordshire)
Assistants: Mr Christopher Francis & Mr Jason Richardson (Northwood, Middlesex)
Fourth Official: Mr Dele Sotimirin (Brixton, London SW9)