Hampton & Richmond Borough 2-0 Tonbridge Angels

Tuesday 17th December 2019
Hampton & Richmond Borough 2 – 0 Tonbridge Angels
Location Beveree Stadium, Beaver Close, Station Road, Hampton, Middlesex TW12 2BX
Kickoff 17/12/2019 19:45

The Buildbase FA Trophy First Round Replay
Tuesday 17 December 2019
Stephen McCartney reports from Beveree Stadium

TONBRIDGE ANGELS were knocked out of The Buildbase FA Trophy by Hampton & Richmond Borough in tonight’s First Round Replay.

Gary McCann’s side will travel to Vanarama National League highflyers Yeovil Town in the last 32 on Saturday 11 January 2020, courtesy of goals from striker Danilo Orsi-Dadomo and winger Ruaridh Donaldson.

The two sides met at Longmead Stadium on Saturday with Steve McKimm’s men grabbing two late goals to force tonight’s second bite of the cherry.

Hampton & Richmond Borough extended their unbeaten run to six games in all competitions after ending Tonbridge Angels’ interest in the competition.

The home side went into the game sitting in ninth-place in the Vanarama National League South table with 26 points from 20 games, while Tonbridge Angels are in the bottom three with 19 points and facing a relegation battle to ensure they don’t return to the Isthmian League Premier Division after winning promotion via the super-play-offs, with Hungerford Town on 17 points and St Albans City at the foot of the table on 16.

Hampton & Richmond Borough created the first chance of the game after only 194 seconds following the first of their four corners on the night.

Left-back Kyron Farrell swung a deep delivery in from the left and centre-half Charlie Wassmer planted his header over the crossbar from eight-yards.

Hampton & Richmond Borough took the lead with only seven minutes and 35 seconds on the clock.

Tonbridge Angels’ left-back Alex Bentley hit the left-channel with a first time ball which was chased by striker Tom Derry, but home keeper Dan Lincoln got to the ball first and launched the ball upfield from outside his penalty area in a right-back position.

Tonbridge Angels’ centre-half Sonny Miles was caught out and Orsi-Dadomo raced through, skipped past keeper Jonathan Henly and kept composed to slot his shot into the bottom far corner to score his tenth-goal of the season.

The home side were winning their individual battles early on before Tonbridge Angels went close to equalising in the 20th minute.

Bentley played the ball into Harry Donovan, who sprayed the ball to Miles, who was in oceans of space to pump a long ball into the home side’s penalty area for Derry to tower over centre-half Dean Inman to loop his header narrowly over the top of the far post from 12-yards.

Hampton & Richmond Borough went close to scoring just 93 seconds later, following another set-piece.

Farrell floated a corner in from the left towards the far post for Inman to see his header drift past the far post.

When Tonbridge Angels kept the ball on the deck at the halfway point of the half, they produced some good goalscoring chances.

The quiet Donovan played the ball down the line from inside his own half down the right flank which released striker D’Sean Theobalds down the channel and he played Derry on an overlapping run and his low cross was met first time by Theobalds, who ran into the box before slicing his shot across the keeper and past the far post from 16-yards.

Donaldson found himself in a central position and he switched the play by playing the ball out to his left-back Farrell, who whipped in a deep cross towards Matt Young, who cut the ball onto his left-foot to arrow in an angled drive, which deflected into the hands of the visiting keeper for a comfortable save.

Tonbridge Angles went close to scoring in the 32nd minute, following a good move on the deck.

Winger Khale Da Costa played the ball inside to Donovan, who clipped a sublime through ball with the outside of his boot to put in right-back James Folkes in behind Farrell and he played in a low cross towards the near post which set up Theobalds, who got in between Inman and Wassmer, to poke his shot just past the foot of the right-hand post.

Shortly afterwards Tonbridge Angels were thankful to their goalkeeper for keeping them in the game as they were hit on the counter-attack.

Wideman Ryan Hill latched onto a diagonal pass before he whipped in a low cross towards Orsi-Dadomo, who swept his left-footed shot towards goal, only to be denied by Henly, smothering the ball low to his right.

Hampton & Richmond Borough’s central midfielder Wadah Ahmidi linked up well with Donaldson in midfield before the ball was played out to Hill on the right and his low centre gave Young a chance but a ricochet fell kindly for the Tonbridge keeper.

Tonbridge Angels created a couple of late first half chances.

Folkes, from inside the centre-circle, swept forward a free-kick into the home side’s penalty area and the ball was flicked on by the quiet Joe Turner.  The ball came out to Donovan, who took a touch before stinging Lincoln’s fingers with a left-footed drive from 18-yards, the keeper grabbing hold of the ball at the second attempt.

Bentley played a low ball into the Hampton & Richmond Borough penalty area from within the channel and Derry switched the play by playing the ball out to Da Costa, who cut inside and from 20-yards tried to curl his left-footed shot into the bottom near corner, only for Lincoln to dive low to his left to spill the ball.

McKimm made his first change five minutes into the second half by bringing on Ben Greenhalgh, who played in the number 10 role behind lone striker Derry and added a lot more height to the attack.

Tonbridge Angels were to be denied an equaliser in the 50th minute when Lincoln dived high to his left and used his outstretched left hand to push over Da Costa’s left-footed free-kick from 35-yards, which was heading towards the top right-hand corner.

Tonbridge Angels’ football during the entire second half was atrocious as the ball stayed mainly in the air, with midfielders on both sides looking up and seeing the ball sail over their heads, which kept them all out of the game. It wasn’t pretty to watch!

Greenhalgh floated in a cross from the right which was met by Turner’s free-header, which was comfortably plucked out of the air by Lincoln.

Hampton & Richmond Borough sealed their progress by scoring their second goal with 16 minutes and 10 seconds on the clock, with a clinical finish.

Holding midfielder Shaun McAuley released Hill who played a 20-yard pass towards the unmarked Donaldson, who took a touch before drilling his left-footed angled drive across Henly to find the bottom far corner from 18-yards.

Frustrated Tonbridge Angels midfielder Christ Tiehi attempted to roll the ball over to Turner out on the right but the pass was intercepted by Farrell, who sprinted down the left channel for around 50-yards before playing the ball over to Hill at the far post. He put the ball back into the box and Farrell flicked his shot across the keeper and past the far post from six-yards.

Tonbridge Angels lacked composure when they missed a glorious chance to fight their way back into the game inside the final 13 minutes.

Centre-half Rian Bray ventured forward a couple of times and floated in a couple of crosses into the box, this one fell kindly for Da Costa, at the far post, but he lacked composure and lashed his first time right-footed drive high over the top of the far post, as he tried to curl his shot into top bins.

Eighty-two seconds later, Tonbridge Angels were closer when Da Costa fed Turner, who drove his right-footed drive just past the foot of the right-hand post from 30-yards.

The away side kept knocking on the door but their direct style of football was awful to watch!

They threw bodies into the Hampton & Richmond Borough box as Bray floated in another deep cross, this time Turner rose to see Lincoln comfortably catch his looping header underneath the crossbar.

Hampton & Richmond Borough’s back four, however, were a well-organised outfit and slammed the door shut.

Tonbridge Angels created their final chance of the night with 48 minutes and 37 seconds on the clock, following their seventh and final corner.

Greenhalgh swung a corner in from the left and Tiehi’s brave diving header from six-yards was pushed away by the outstanding Lincoln, diving to his right.

Tiehi took a whack for his troubles and there was concern as he received treatment for seven minutes before he was forced off on a stretcher, while referee Dean Skipper played 11 minutes and 33 seconds of time added on.

Hampton & Richmond Borough: Dan Lincoln, Sam Cox, Kyron Farrell, Shaun McAuley (Louie Soares 64), Charlie Wassmer, Dean Inman, Matt Young, Wadah Ahmidi, Danilo Orsi-Dadomo (Tyrone Lewthwaite 76), Ryan Hill (Jefferson Louis 87), Ruaridh Donaldson.
Subs: Tyrell Miller-Rodney, Cole Brown, Luke Ruddick, Joe Wotton

Goals: Danilo Orsi-Dadomo 8, Ruaridh Donaldson 62

Tonbridge Angels: Jonathan Henly, James Folkes (Jared Small 76), Alex Bentley, Christ Tiehi (Josh Stirman 90), Sonny Miles, Rian Bray, Khale Da Costa, Harry Donovan (Ben Greenhalgh 50), Tom Derry, D’Sean Theobalds, Joe Turner.
Subs: Jack Parter, Edward McDonald

Booked: Harry Donovan 18

Attendance: 238
Referee: Mr Dean Skipper
Assistants: Mr Nicholas Metcalfe & Mr Greig Walker
Fourth Official: Mr Dele Sotimirin

Join our valued sponsors and
advertise here until May 2022. 
For further details please email

This website has been established
since June 2003 and attracts
at least 1,000 hits per day, pre-Covid-19.