Beckenham Town 4 Erith Town 0

Monday 10th April 2006

Erith Town came into the game on a run of good form and looked promising in the early exchanges, writes Ian Muir.

However, it was Beckenham who were creating all the chances and took an early lead with a typical Paul Vines goal as he blasted into the top corner from six yards after only 15 minutes.

From then on Erith were on the back foot as the league leaders dominated the game without going into top gear.

It was the Becks' classic counter acting play that almost paid further dividends. On 20 minutes Green looked odds on to score when he latched onto a Stewart pass and managed turn to hit a powerful shot that was just cleared off the line.

A minute later Vines goal-bound header was headed away. A series of goal line clearances followed with Cheeseman and Adeniyi both being foiled.

Beckenham’s passing in contrast to Erith’s was sharp and mixed with movement. Erith kept knocking in their high balls and defending in numbers.

Despite the home side having plenty of possession and chances the score still remained 1-0 going into the break. In the closing minute of the half Vines again was denied as his header from a Cheeseman corner hit the bar.

The incident that settled the game occurred on 56 minutes. Another excellent counter attack saw a Stewart cross reach Vines in the area who made no mistake from close range.

This was the signal for Beckenham to introduce all three of their substitutes. Within minutes a great save by Tolfrey prevented former Beckenham player Cooney scoring in what would be the visitors only clear cut chance.

Erith were still busy but they weren’t threatening, Martin meanwhile, was everywhere twisting and turning and a real headache for the visitors. Increased Beckenham pressure forced a defensive error culminating in an own goal after 65 minutes.

Adeniyi, who was playing in an unfamiliar role just in front of the back four was an absolute terrier in the tackle all afternoon and was disrupting the flow when Erith did venture into the Beckenham half.

Beckenham’s back four were never put under any serous pressure, allowing Daniels to get forward on the left flank combining well with Martin.

With minutes remaining Lodge intercepted a stray pass and careered past three Erith defenders and slid the ball to Stewart who outpaced his marker before firing in an unstoppable shot from outside the area.

In the end it was a surprisingly easy and emphatic victory over a strong Erith side. Beckenham remain at the top of The Kent Premier Division and now play their last home game of the season next Saturday 18th April when Slade Green visit Eden Park Avenue.

Beckenham Town: Rob Tolfrey, Junior kadi, Jake Daniels, Peter Adeniyi, Tony Sinclair, Errison Ahwan, Ellis Green, Ohran Stewart, Paul Vines, Jamie Cheeseman, Ryan Martin.  Subs: Gavin Rose, Asher Hudson, Carlton Price, Daniel Morris, Dean Lodge.