Beckenham Town 0-6 Brentford - It was difficult for our players to play against a top, top Championship side, admits Beckenham Town assistant Billy Walton

Wednesday 25th September 2019
Beckenham Town 0 – 6 Brentford
Location Eden Park Avenue, Beckenham, Kent BR3 3JL
Kickoff 25/09/2019 19:45

London Senior Cup First Round
Wednesday 25 September 2019
Stephen McCartney reports from Eden Park Avenue

BECKENHAM TOWN assistant manager Billy Walton admits it was very difficult for his players to play against a top, top Championship side after suffering a heavy defeat to Brentford in the London Senior Cup.


Neil MacFarlane’s Brentford B side booked a trip to Southern League Premier Division South side Harrow Borough in the Second Round after impressing at Eden Park Avenue against a Beckenham Town side that made eight changes to their side that won their sixth game on the bounce by winning 3-2 at Greenwich Borough at the weekend.

Welling United beat Brentford 1-0 in the London Senior Cup Final at Wingate & Finchley on Tuesday 9 April 2019.

Brentford took 20 minutes to open the floodgates when Danish striker Christian Tue Jensen, 19, scored, before winger Jaden Brissett doubled their lead right on half-time.

Brentford right-wing-back Mads Roerslev Rasmudden killed the game off with a third just before the hour-mark, before striker Gustav Mogensen got on the goalscoring act with 20 minutes remaining.

Tue Jensen, who was one of four Danish players in the side, went on to score his hat-trick by scoring twice inside the final 15 minutes, his last goal came gift-wrapped from Beckenham’s Australian born goalkeeper Michael McEntegart at the death.

McEntegart and two centre-halves Ike Robertson and Kiki Oshilaja were the only players to keep their shirts as Beckenham Town played a big risk to play a weakened side against such a quality Brentford outfit.

Brentford’s first team are in seventeenth-place in the Championship, while Beckenham Town are seven levels lower and sit in second-place in the Southern Counties East Football League Premier Division table.

“I can’t be disappointed, they’re a top side. It’s a pleasure for me to actually see, finally the penny’s dropped in this country that you can play football on the floor, pass the ball about and move it,” said Walton.

“I’m a football fan and I can’t do nothing but clap that and admire it and learn from it. 

“Listen, we’ve got two scaffolders that have been up since six o’clock in the morning building scaffolds and city blokes working in offices all day and getting home from work so the gulf in professionalism is massive and the fitness levels are a million miles apart.”

When asked why Jason Huntley, Dave Mehmet and Walton made so many changes, Walton replied: “We more than conducted ourselves with players’ coming in that haven’t played for three or four weeks, that haven’t been sitting on the bench so fair play to them. They’ve come in against a top side and absolutely worked their socks off. 

“Purely to give the lads a chance to get a game. If we weren’t going to play them tonight, we was never going to play them. Personally I think there’s a couple of players out there that staked a big claim for Saturday and I’m not going to mention who they are.  There were one or two lads in particular that played really well.

“I thought in phases we did alright, small phases but we did alright.”

The gulf in class was evident as Brentford created their first opening after only 28 seconds when left-wing-back Nick Tsaroulla hit a long ball over the top to put Mogensen through on goal but he failed to dig the ball out from under his feet and managed to flick his shot which was destined to roll behind for a goal-kick before it was picked up by the Beckenham keeper.

Beckenham Town almost scored following their first of four corners with exactly two minutes on the clock.

Left-wing-back Glenn Clarke swung in a deep corner from the right with his left-boot and central midfielder Andrew Mott rose to steer his header straight at Brentford keeper Nathan Shepperd, who plucked the ball from above his head.

The keeper immediately released a long throw that released Mogensen down the right on a swift counter-attack before he cut the ball back for Brissett, who teed up Tue Jensen, who lashed his first time shot over the crossbar – just 15 seconds after Mott’s header at the other end.

“I mean that football and the way they are, you don’t play against that week-in-week-out, even the levels above,” said Walton, who said the word quality 13 times during his interview.

“We’re not trained or conditioned or anything to play against a team like that. It’s just very difficult for our players’ to be able to.  You ask them to come out here tonight and play against a top, top Championship side that are so professional.  I don’t know why they’re in this competition. I can’t see anyone getting near them!”

Beckenham Town’s players were strangled by a Brentford side that were super quick at closing them down as the part-timers weren’t allowed their usual time on the ball as they will be against Bearsted in their next outing.

Both sides though, kept the ball on the carpet of a pitch and there was talk post-match that Brentford may well be returning for a pre-season friendly next summer.

Beckenham Town held out until 19 minutes and 28 seconds until the inevitable breakthrough goal arrived.

Mott was seen clearly winning the ball but he took out Tue Jensen from behind afterwards and referee James Hurst awarded Brentford a free-kick in a dangerous position, just 25-yards from goal.

Tue Jensen stroked his right-footed free-kick over the wall and planted the ball into the left-hand corner, a third of the way up, leaving McEntegart rooted to the spot.

Walton said: “In all fairness to the referee, he’s the first referee at any level that I’ve played at that’s come up at half-time and said to me he’s ‘made a mistake’.  He realised that it wasn’t a foul but they got the foul and when you’ve got someone of that quality, that’s Premiership quality those free-kicks! To put it in those areas wherever the goalkeeper stands, it’s going to beat you!”

Brentford’s French holding midfielder Julien Carre fed the ball into Tsaroulla and he danced his way to the edge of the penalty area but his weak shot rolled into McEntegart’s gloves for a comfortable pick-up.

Tsaroulla, who was a summer signing from Tottenham Hotspur, played a quick one-two with Tue Jensen before skipping past Mudiagha Wanogho – the centre of a three-man central defence – and driving a shot into the base of the side netting.

Brissett broke down the right and cut in and showed quick feet to cut past his man before spreading the ball over to the left to winger Joe Adams who skipped past Jamie Brown before rifling a shot towards the top far corner from the left-hand side of the box, which was palmed away by McEntegart, high to his left.

“I think they can do that to you at will,” said Walton.

“The movement they’ve got is incredible! I think the whole game, every chance they created is through sheer pace and movement.  You ain’t going to be able to do anything against that!”

On night’s like this, you need your defenders to put their bodies on the line and that’s exactly what Oshilaja did to deny Brentford scoring a second goal on the half-hour mark.

Danish centre-half Japhet Sery Larsen hit a long ball out of defence, which released Mogensen down the right and he reached the by-line before cutting the ball back to an unmarked Tue Jensen, who was all set to pull the trigger, only for Oshilaja to dive in to make a vital block.

Adams played an inside pass to Brissett, who took a touch before drilling his right-footed shot sailing over the Beckenham Town crossbar from 25-yards out.

Beckenham Town weathered the storm, however, and started to venture forward during the final five minutes.

Robertson hit a long ball over the top of Brentford left-wing-back Tsaroulla and Brown showed desire to chase after a lost cause and just before the ball rolled behind for a goal-kick, he did well to wrap his foot around the ball and Shepperd had to get down to cut out the cross.

Beckenham Town kept two men up front for 85 minutes of the game and striker Anhthuan Tran-West was fouled by Rasmussen just outside the corner of the area but Clarke’s delivery was too floaty and Shepperd easily plucked the ball out of the air.

Tran-West burst into life with 42:59 on the clock with their best chance of the night when he was released down the left channel, cut into the box and drilled his right-footed angled drive across the keeper, who tipped the ball around the post.

“There again, I know they were few and far between but what was pleasing when we did have it, we tried to play through the thirds and we done a couple of good moves that on another day could’ve gone in,” said Walton.

“I don’t think it would’ve made a difference to the result but it would’ve got us on the scoresheet!”

Beckenham Town winger Malik Nosike got in behind Tsaroulla again and drove in a hard and low cross from the right which was blocked at the near post by Scottish centre-half Jonny Mitchell but Clarke swept his first time shot past the right-hand post from 10-yards.

“There again, it’s another little bit of good football from us. Those periods were few and far between unfortunately. We just couldn’t get hold of the ball and keep it for long enough spells to create.”

Brentford doubled their lead by scoring with 44 minutes and 34 seconds on the clock.

Mogensen released Adams down the left and he whipped in a low cross, which flashed across the face of the goal and an unmarked Brissett drilled the ball across the keeper, nestling into the bottom far corner.

“We can talk about it all night long, just quality, quality, quality, quality and the seven leagues above stands out,” came Walton’s response.

“I just come in, we came in and we just said to them at half-time we was a bit unfortunate to go two down. We gave the ball away in a sloppy area and I think we let him turn, after shutting him down, we let him turn and get a cross in and right on half-time for them to go 2-0 up.

“The free-kick weren’t a free-kick but they still scored a great goal from it and so we was a bit disappointed to be 2-0 down at half-time, although in fairness we didn’t create an awful lot ourselves.

“I would’ve took 1-0 down at half-time. I feel we were a bit unfortunate to be 2-0 down.”

Beckenham Town created an opening inside the opening five minutes when Mott played the ball to Billy Martins, who was in space 35-yards from goal but he sliced his left-footed drive harmlessly wide.

Londoner Arthur Read pinged a sublime diagonal pass that released Tue Jensen in behind Brown, the striker cut into the box and McEntegart used his legs to ensure he blocked the shot and the ball bounced behind for a corner.

“Yes, same scenario, another good move from them and a good save from Macca,” added Walton.

However, Brentford raced into a three-goal lead with 13 minutes and 11 seconds on the clock, courtesy of another counter-attack.

Read broke through the heart of the pitch before playing the ball out wide to Brissett on the right and he played the ball on the outside to Rasmussen, who kept composed to unleash a right-footed angled drive across McEntegart to find the bottom far corner of the net from 15-yards.

“Yes, another good quality finish. This reports going to be about quality, quality, quality, so I think we might as well say they scored six quality goals,” added Walton.

Rasmussen’s long ball sailed over Robertson’s head and released Mogensen through on goal but he dragged his low shot across the keeper and past the foot of the far post.

Martins pounced on a loose ball within the final third but flashed a left-footed drive through the Bees penalty area and past the far post.

Brentford slotted in their fourth goal of the night with 24 minutes and 14 seconds when Beckenham’s defenders turned into statues following a set-piece.

Tue Jensen stroked a dipping right-footed free-kick towards the bottom near corner from 25-yards, which McEntegart did superbly to dive to his right to push the ball onto his near post and Mogensen reacted the quickest to tuck home the rebound into the bottom left-hand corner from inside the six-yard box.

“I mean disappointed from us, that’s basic defending, follow the shot in! Macca’s made a good save, pushed it onto the post and we should’ve have a centre-half or a full-back or a defender that gets to the ball and clears it.  We haven’t reacted quick enough and they’ve got to the ball first and tucked home the rebound.

“My thoughts were it’s a free hit for us.  I was more interested to see how we see out the game and how we kept control of the ball and if we can keep it and pass it around a little bit, which I think in little phases of that second half we actually made some good passing moves and passed the ball through and got in.  If we did that Saturday the way we did tonight then we’ll be fine.”

Brentford upped the tempo as Beckenham Town started to tire and drilled home their fifth goal of the night with 29 minutes and 50 seconds gone.

Brissett was in a central position when he latched onto the ball and tried to scoop the ball over to Mogensen but it was blocked and he had a second bite of the cherry to slip in Tue Jensen, who beat the offside trap to drill a low left-footed shot past the keeper from 16-yards.

“A great finish from the lad, a great finish,” added Walton, who was then asked what he was thinking with 15 minutes of the game remaining.

“Try to get five goals and try to get back to five-all!

“Full credit to the boys, those who took to the pitch today. There’s players there that haven’t played, that are not as fit as that and they’re running on empty so to see the game out in the manner that they did, I was well pleased.”

Brentford keeper Shepperd handed over the captains armband to Mitchell when he was substituted for Swedish substitute goalkeeper Simon Andersson for the final 11 minutes.

Read was given acres of space to have a pop at goal from 30-yards, forcing McEntegart to dive to his left to make another flying save.

Beckenham Town were reduced to 10 men for the final five minutes of normal time, having lost centre-half Robertson to an ankle injury.

“It’s a little bit of a blow for us in terms of injuries, we’re a little bit skinny at the moment. He twisted his ankle so we’ll have a look at him on Friday and see if he’s alright for Saturday,” revealed Walton.

They lined up with two banks of four with Shameek Farrell the lone striker and Brentford took full advantage by rattling in their sixth goal of the night with 44 minutes and 38 seconds on the clock.

McEntegart blotted his book by kicking the ball straight at Tue Jensen, who was inside the penalty area and he slotted in his hat-trick into the corner.

“To be honest I was on my hands and knees praying at the time so I didn’t see the sixth goal,” added Walton.

“I was looking up at the heavens thinking just don’t let them beat us nine or 10. I did hear about it after but I didn’t see it.”

Brentford still had time to create a couple more chances into added time. Brissett drove a shot into the foot of the side netting before Read drove straight through the heart of the pitch and left the keeper rooted to the spot as his shot flashed just past the right-hand post.

“What we got out of it was absolutely nothing! Apart from another game against a top, top quality side and it was good for our lads.  We had a lot of young lads out there that have played and we learnt two or three things tonight so hopefully they’ve learnt two or three things,” said Walton.

“I learnt how they break, how they get back behind the ball when they lose it, how quickly they go and get after the ball when they lose it, three little things there.  They were remarkable, remarkable!”

Chatham Town suffered a 1-0 defeat at their Medway rivals Hollands & Blair tonight so have 18 points on the board from their 10 games, but Beckenham Town are level on points but have three games in hand now.

Beckenham Town host seventh-placed Bearsted at Eden Park Avenue on Saturday 28 September (15:00), looking to seize advantage at this early stage in the title race.

“It will be a good game. It will be a tough game. They’ll come here with their tails up like they always do,” said Walton.

“We’ll have quite a few players back for Saturday that haven’t played tonight and a few that’s staked a claim from tonight’s performance.  I thought some of them played really well.

“Our main aim for the whole season is to win this league but first and foremost that is our number one aim.  The rest of the cups are a massive bonus if we do well in them, we just want to win this league and that’s it!

“I watched Bearsted the other night and they’re a good footballing side so they’ll come here and enjoy playing on the pitch.  They’ve got a style that I saw quite a few plusses from them the other night and we’ve seen quite a few minuses so hopefully we can work on their minuses and stop their plusses.”

Beckenham Town: Michael McEntegart, Jamie Brown, Glenn Clarke, Mudiagha Wanogho (Harvey Brand 46), Ike Robertson, Kiki Oshilaja, Billy Martins, Andrew Mott, Harry Salter (Shameek Farrell 56), Anhthuan Tran-West (Archie Johnson 65), Malik Nosike.
Subs: Junior Kaffo, Jamie Humpris

Booked: Billy Martins 89

Brentford: Nathan Shepperd (Simon Andersson 79), Mads Roerslev Rasmussen, Nick Tsaroulla, Julien Carre, Japhet Sery Larsen (Aubrel Koutismouka 71), Jonny Mitchell, Joe Adams, Arthur Read, Gustav Mogensen, Christian Tue Jensen, Jaden Brissett.
Subs: Kane O’Connor, David Titov, Jaakko Oksanen

Goals: Christian Tue Jensen 20, 75, 90, Jaden Brissett 45, Mads Roerslev Rasmussen 70

Attendance: 85
Referee: Mr James Hurst (East Dulwich, London SE22)
Assistants: Mr Chris Bowdery (Grove Park, London SE12) & Mr Epameinondas Liappis (Roehampton, London SW15)