Thursday 01st September 2005
Bromley booted by Slough
Happy Hakki helps Slough into top six
Bromley 0-4 Slough Town
Tuesday 10 February 2004
Ryman League Division One South
by Stephen McCartney

Slough Town’s twenty-three year old talented midfielder, Veli Hakki stole the show as the Rebels convincingly completed the double over Bromley to shell-shock the Hayes Lane outfit on Tuesday.

The Forest Hill based former Dulwich Hamlet player, playing only his third game for the Rebels, helped the Berkshire side move into the top six.

A delighted Hakki, speaking after the demolition of seventh placed Bromley, said: “It was my third game and we have picked up nine points now, so I am pleased with that.

“Our aim is to make the top six.  We do, however, have three hard games coming up now and we want to pick up points and we want to win those games.”

The Rebels now face stiff competition with a trip to Staines Town on Saturday, before they host Lewes in midweek and a trip to Hakki’s former club, Dulwich Hamlet.

Hakki, however is confident they can do well against these promotion rivals, especially after their 4-0 thrashing over Bromley.

He added: “They are going to be tough games so this will show them what the team is capable of!”

An incentive for victory for Bromley would have placed them into the top six and makes Saturday’s home game against Worthing another important must-win game.

Worthing, were knocked out of the FA Trophy, going down 2-1 at home to Hednesford Town in Tuesday’s fourth round replay, and the Rebels from Sussex, will also be looking to bounce back from their cup exit.

Bromley are a side that play at a very high tempo, but they sadly lacked their highly charged opponents, who defeated Bromley 4-2 at Windsor’s Stag Meadow ground in November.

On that Tuesday night, Slough came quickly out of the blocks and were incredibly 2-0 ahead after goalkeeper Andy Hunt was beaten twice inside 151 seconds.

However, inside the first minute at Hayes Lane, Bromley defender Mark Willy was forced to head over his own crossbar before goalkeeper Danny Harwood was tested from Hakki’s long-range effort.

With both sets of supporters exchanging vocal banter, Bromley’s first chance fell to Jason McKoy after nine minutes but his long range shot drilled well wide of the goal and whistled over the Bromley Times sponsored terracing.

A minute later Ryan Williams’ laid the ball back for Hakki whose shot lacked the killer touch flying well wide of the right post from 23 yards.

After sixteen minutes Hakki was fouled by Michael Harney just outside the penalty area and but the Bromley wall did their job blocking Michael Murphy’s fiercely struck free kick.  The ball, however, was floated back into the danger area by Hakki but Bromley survived the raid.

Lee Riddell did his utmost to get up and down the flank for the Berkshire side and his cross from the right bounced in front of Harwood who made a hash of the delivery.

But once the home faithful got behind their side, came their best chance of the game after 23 minutes.  Mark Hammond’s high cross was won in the air by target-man Wade Falana and skipper John Myatt shot straight into the arms of Slough goalkeeper Alan Foster.

Two superb crosses from Michael Harney from the left almost gave Falana a chance to hit the target but they both evaded him inside the penalty area.

A minute before Slough took the lead, Harney’s throw was headed from the left channel by Falana finding his strike partner Adolph Amoako who turned on the edge of the penalty area but shot wide of the right post.

Once Slough took the lead after 35 minutes, however, they didn’t look back!

Amoako was fouled but play was waved on and the ball bobbled under John Wilfort’s feet.  Ian Hodges slid the ball to his prolific strike partner Tony Boot who slotted the ball past Harwood and into the middle of the net.

It was a deserved lead for the visitors who almost added to the score on the stroke of half time as Boot’s driven shot was saved by shaky Harwood.

Another electric start from Slough saw them go close when Boot drove wide of the near post as Harwood tried to smother the ball at the strikers feet, but it didn’t take the visitors long to increase their lead after 47 minutes.

Ryan Williams’ playing out of position, ran down the right and his low centre from the right evaded Boot but Hodges was there to pounce at the far post to fire low into the left corner.

Two-nil soon became three-nil after 53 minutes when Bromley failed to clear and Boot set up Glen Harris for him to fire past Harwood and to end the game as a contest.

Bromley boss Stuart McIntyre made two substitutions in the space of three minutes bringing on Gary Drewett and Paul Vines for Harney and Falana.

On the hour-mark the many traveling contingent started to sign “Brazil of the Ryman League” and wearing amber shirts and blue socks you could be forgiven Bromley were playing a side of that caliber as Slough Town were the best side to play at Hayes Lane for many years.

Bromley did find the net, albeit the roof of the net, after 71 minutes but Hammond’s corner from the left went out of play hitting the roof of the net before Williams’ 25 yard shot was spilled by off-form Harwood who recovered at the second attempt.

Slough scored a fourth goal after 77 minutes but luckily for the home side the goal was ruled out by the assistant referee for offside.

Another Slough shot was spilled by Harwood as Harris’ tried his luck with a low drive from outside the box.  Williams’ followed up and the ball was finally put away by Boot but as their players and fans celebrated the flag was raised and after speaking to his assistant, referee Mr G Hoare disallowed the goal.

But Bromley were put to bed in the 82nd minute.  Wilfort lost the ball to Hodges outside the penalty area and the central defender clipped the striker just outside the penalty area.  Play was waved on, Harwood (pictured, below) came rushing off his line and brought him down.





Being the last man, Harwood’s horrific night was summed up when he  was shown a straight red card by Hoare and will now face a three-match ban.
Twenty-year old, striker, Paul Vines, who has played in goal whilst playing for Cray Wanderers’ reserves, bravely took the green goalkeeping jersey and gloves from Harwood but he couldn’t prevent Boot putting away the low penalty close to Vines’ feet.

Vines’ however, pulled off two saves late in the game from Hakki’s free kick from eighteen yards that brought ironic cheers from the Slough fans, shouting “Bromley’s number one” and from Slough substitute Danny Steer who tried to beat the stand in with a snap shot from 22 yards.

Hakki, praised the whole of the Slough team for their performance.  He added: “The two front men, Ian Hodges and Tony Boot stood out for me, but the whole side really were tremendous tonight.

“It was our most convincing performance since I have been a  Slough player.  We’ve had a hard fought game against Tooting & Mitcham at home, and we got the three points against a side that were flying at the time.  We then played Horsham and we took a two goal lead and almost threw it away, before winning 3-2.  But this is the most convincing of the three, but they have all been good performances really in their different ways.”

So as Bromley drop to ninth in the table, the top eleven sides in the table; Windsor & Eton, Lewes, Hampton & Richmond Borough, Dulwich Hamlet, Staines Town, Slough Town, Worthing, Leatherhead, Bromley, Croydon Athletic and Tooting & Mitcham United will all be doing their utmost to finish in the top six at 5.00pm on Saturday 1st May 2004.

Bromley: Danny Harwood (sent off 81), Steve Potterill, Michael Harney (Gary Drewett 57), John Wilfort, Colin Luckett, Mark Willy, Mark Hammond, John Myatt (Capt), Adolph Amoako, Wade Falana (Paul Vines 60), Jason McKoy.  Subs: David Smith, John Butler, Bobby George

Slough Town: Alan Foster, Lee Riddell, Paul Barrowcliff, Steve Daly (Capt), Michael Murphy, Darron Wilkinson, Ryan Williams (Matt Miller 84), Glen Harris, Ian Hodges (Danny Steer 83), Tony Boot (Andrew Deaner 83), Veli Hakki.  Subs: Ryan Spencer, Martin Moller

Attendance: 227

Referee: Mr G Hoare

Assistants: Mr R Albert and Mr T Bakare

To advertise here telephone Stephen McCartney 07979 418 360