Thursday 01st September 2005
Amoako's winning strike sets up Ashford cup clash
Bromley 2-1 North Leigh
FA Cup Preliminary Round
Saturday 30 August 2003
by Stephen McCartney -
Hellenic League champions and current league leaders North Leigh made Bromley work hard for their 2-1 victory at Hayes Lane in the FA Cup Preliminary Round.
Bromley travel to Dr Martens League Eastern Division side Ashford Town in the First Qualifying Round on Saturday 13th September.
Bromley made their intensions clear from the very first whistle and winger Kirk Watts struck the left post from 22 yards after only fifteen seconds into the game.
Watts and Bobby George both had half chances before North Leigh goalkeeper Kevin Alder made a low smart save from Adolph Amoako's shot after eight minutes.
George saw his low shot bounce off a North Leigh defender narrowly wide of the foot of the left upright after eleven minutes.
Kirk Watts won the Ravens a corner and Joe Wade's high flag kick was met at the far post by Mark Willy but the former Cray Wanderers defender was off target with a header.
More chances came Bromley's way and the crossbar saved North Leigh after 21 minutes when Kirk Watts sent in a cross from the left hand side and Bobby George saw his header crash off the woodwork.
Meaty challenges by the Oxfordshire side on Watts and George resulted in a Bromley free kick from 30 yards.  Wade tried his luck and his free kick sailed narrowly over the crossbar.
North Leigh's first chance came after 26 minutes when Matty Shelton's cross from the left found Nick Forrester but goalkeeper Danny Harwood made a fine save blocking the goal-bound shot.
Shelton's threw the ball for Mark Lewis, who was unmarked, but the alert Amoako stole the ball off him close to the half-way line.  His pace caused North Leigh problems before he fed Kirk Watts but Stuart Huxkley made a fine block inside the penalty area.
North Leigh felt confident after Bromley missing a whole host of chances and Adam Hemp tried his luck from distance but the ball sailed over Harwood's goal.  Shelton delivered a free kick towards the far post and Lewis headed wide when unmarked  but North Leigh took the lead after 39 minutes.
Shelton delivered another free kick from the right and Bromley goalkeeper Harwood called for the ball.  Under no pressure he thumbled the ball allowing Mark Lewis to head home from close range.
Bromley responded to this shock well and  Wade's cutting pass found Colin Luckett inside the North Leigh penalty area.  Luckett shot across Alder and found the bottom far corner of the net to score the equaliser in the 45th minute.
Six minutes into the second half Wade struck a right footed shot narrowly over the bar before Bobby George dragged a shot wide of the left post.
Just after the hour, Luckett sent in a high left footed free kick and Mark Willy, under pressure from two North Leigh defenders, saw his hanging header plucked out of the air by Alder.
With twenty-two minutes left on the clock, Gary Drewett replaced George and this change gave the Ravens more attacking energy.
Kirk Watts skill on the ball saw him make a goalscoring chance for himself but his shot from outside the penalty area flew over the North Leigh crossbar.
Drewett set up Luckett and his left footed shot screamed narrowly over the crossbar before Steve Potterill tried his luck from 25 yards, suffering the same fate.
Amoako was denied by a goal-line clearance but he wasn't going to be stopped in the 81st minute.
Kirk Watts made a run along the penalty box and fed Amoako.  A defender tried to clear the ball and it bounced up.  Kirk Watts headed the ball for Amoako to pounce onto and he lobbed the ball over Alder.  A defender tried in vain to clear the ball off the line and Bromley were able to celebrate the winning goal.
Substitute, James Goodwin, making his debut for Bromley after a close season move from Corinthian-Casuals had three bites of the cherry to score on his debut late in the game.
Bromley:  Danny Harwood,  Steve Potterill, Colin Luckett (STAR MAN) (James Goodwin 80) Joe Vines, Mark Willy, Dean Forbes (Capt), Danny Smith, Joe Wade (Jason McKoy 59), Bobby George (Gary Drewett 68), Adolph Amoako, Kirk Watts.  Subs:  Andy Hunt and John Butler
North Leigh: Kevin Alder, Tom Smith, Jamie Cole (Stuval Cooper 82), Mark Lewis, Stuart Huxley (Sam Burnell 86), Jo Burnell, Matty Ellis, Nick Hughes (Capt), Adam Hamp, Nick Forrester, Matty Shelton.  Sub:  Darren Maisley
Attendance: 262
Referee:  Mr A J Conn  Assistants:  Mr G Johnson and Mr B Young
Photographs from the game, taken by Mark Avenell
Saturday 6 September   3.00pm   Bromley  vs  Walton & Hersham  (Ryman League Div 1 South)
Tuesday 9 September    7.45   Windsor & Eton  vs  Bromley  (Ryman League Div 1 South)
Saturday 13 September  3.00  Ashford Town (Kent )  vs Bromley  (FA Cup 1st Qualifying Round)