Thursday 01st September 2005
Harwood spot on as McIntyre reaches new heights
Bromley  4-0 Molesey
Saturday 23 August 2003
Ryman League Division One South
by Stephen McCartney
The River Ravensbourne close to Bromley's Hayes Lane ground had run dry, and so had last season's top goalscorer Adolph Amoako's goals before this game.
But  following clear the air talks with assistant manager Eddie Saunders and manager Stuart McIntyre following Tuesday's 2-1 defeat at home to Lewes, where the Sussex side snatched victory from the Ravens, Amoako was sailing again, scoring a brace in the opening 29 minutes to send Bromley on their way to their first home victory of the season.
Bromley are sitting in third place, with six points from three games, which is Stuart McIntyre's highest league position at the club since taking over in October 2001.
But Bromley had goalkeeper Danny Harwood to thank for some excellent goalkeeping five minutes into the second half.
Joe Wade, a biting midfielder, went close for Bromley in the first minute as McIntyre's men made their intensions clear at the start.
Kirk Watts' 12th minute free kick from the right was floated in towards the far post and Mark Willy headed wide of the near post inside a crowded Molesey penalty area.
Molesey issued a warning two minutes later when Luke Dowling's free kick was headed wide by an unmarked James Rose.
James Laister peeled off his marker but he poked his shot wide of Bromley's right post from close range.
Bromley took the lead in the 24th minute.  Kirk Watts' corner was missed by goalkeeper Stuart Paul and the ball was poked by Tony Reid.  Adolph Amoako quickly latched onto the loose ball and fired into the back of the net.
Five minutes later, Bromley and Amoako scored again, and after practising set plays in training on Thursday night, it pleased manager McIntyre that his side had scored from a well drilled move.
This time Jason McKoy delivered a corner from the left flank and Reid's downward header fell for Amoako and even the intensions of the defender on the line, couldn't stop Amoako scoring his second goal of the match to send him sailing again.
McIntyre said: "We scored from two set-plays that we were working on in training on Thursday night.  The second goal was a routine so that's good as it gives the players belief and creditability in the training methods we are using."
With a two goal cushion Bromley didn't create another chance until the 36th minute when Reid's screamed an effort over Molesey's crossbar following good possession play from the Ravens.
Sam Lampard, one of two players retained from last season, whistled a forty yard shot wide of Harwood's right post as the Molesey midfielder tried his luck from 40 yards from goal.
Former Everton and Wales goalkeeping legend, Neville Southall, watched the game from the stands, and the former Dover Athletic manager,  who joined Molesey in the close season, must have blasted his players at the break as the Surrey side came out with much more purpose in the opening exchanges in the second half.
Molesey captain James Pearson struck a left footed shot over from 28 yards, before Bromley's Adolph Amoako received a pass from winger Kirk Watts, Paul made a fine block when the Bromley hit-man ghosted into the penalty area.
Bromley goalkeeper, Danny Harwood produced a world class double save from Luke Dowling's penalty kick after 50 minutes.
Mark Willy was adjudged to have fouled Molesey's man of the match, Matthew Bradford following a high cross towards the far post, and Referee Beck pointed to the penalty spot.
After a delay as the Referee told Harwood he couldn't move on his goal-line, Harwood dived quickly to his bottom left hand corner (picture, Mark Avenell, and blocked Dowling's spot kick.  The Ravens shot-stopper quickly got up and adjusted himself and dived to his right to block Dowling's rebound from close range, bringing cries of delight from the home faithful.
Delighted Harwood said after the game: "I thought the penalty was a harsh decision.  The Referee told me I am not allowed to move off the line, so I held my position and the delay probably helped a little bit.  I saw Dowling was a left footer so I knew he was going to shoot in my bottom left hand corner, so I went that way.  I probably got too good a hand on it so the ball came back out and I've had to get up and adjust and make the second save."
Lampard and Dowling fired over for Molesey before the hour but Bromley went on the boil in the last 25 minutes of the game.
Bromley substitute Gary Drewett, squared the ball for Amoako whose right footed shot screamed wide from 25 yards.
Pearson dragged a shot wide of Bromley's left upright after 76 minutes but Bromley pressed harder with thirteen minutes left on the clock.
Amoako won the Ravens a free kick and Kirk Watts squared the ball to McKoy whose dipping shot from 30 yards produced a brilliant save from Paul diving to push the shot over the crossbar.
Grant Watts replaced Amoako after 80 minutes and seven minutes later, Bromley had a great chance to add to the score-line.
Grant Watts won the ball in midfield and played a ball upfield for Reid.  The former Lewes striker spun past Michael Brady and was on his way towards goal.  Facing a one-on-one with goalkeeper Paul, Reid set himself for a shot, but the goalkeeper read his body shape - trying to slot the ball inside the bottom left hand corner - and Paul got down to block the shot.
But substitute, Grant Watts showed his class scoring Bromley's third goal in the 89th minute.
Just like Reid, Grant Watts was faced with a one-on-one with Paul.  Paul came out to try to smother the ball at the strikers feet, Watts went around the goalkeeper, side stepped the defender who rushed back and with the goal at his mercy, slotted the ball home despite defenders swarming around him.
Kirk Watts wanted to get in the act but he was unlucky when he lifted his shot narrowly over the right post but Bromley wrapped up a classical performance, two minutes into injury time.
Kirk Watts retrieved the ball from the right by-line, passed back to Joe Wade and his whipped in cross was met by a powerful Mark Willy header finding the right hand corner of Molesey's net.
A delighted Adolph Amoako said:  "I scored two very important goals today.  I have been struggling throughout pre-season as I haven't scored before today.  I know this team is going somewhere this season.  After Tuesday's 2-1 defeat against Lewes, it proves no-one is dwelling on the defeat."
Amoako had clear the air talks with assistant manager Eddie Saunders on Tuesday night.  Amoako admitted:  "Everything that came out was positive and I come here today and gave a good performance for the team and everyone is happy."
Bromley travel to Short Lane in Stanwell to take on Ashford Town (Middlesex) on Bank Holiday Monday (3pm) before North Leigh visit Hayes Lane next Saturday, 30 August (3pm) in the FA Cup Preliminary Round.
Bromley: Danny Harwood (STAR MAN), Steve Potterill, Joe Wade, Joe Vines (Michael Harney 51), Mark Willy, Dean Forbes (Capt), David Smith (Gary Drewett 64), Jason McKoy, Tony Reid, Adolph Amoako (Grant Watts 80), Kirk Watts.  Subs:  Andy Hunt and John Butler
Molesey: Stuart Paul, Matthew Bradford (STAR MAN), Luke Dowling, Michael Brady, Jamie Laister, Sam Lampard (Danny Ray 56), Steve Warren, James Pearson (Capt), James Rose, Stephen Gale, Craig Parrington (Michael Rose HT), Subs: Phillip Williams, Simon Teague
Attendance:  187
Referee: Mr  S  Beck
Assistants:  Mr P Piepponen and Mr P Costello
Photographs from this game, taken by Mark Avenell - visit