Thursday 01st September 2005
Convincing Bromley complete double over Leatherhead
but Ravens skipper Myatt blasts Ekoku for X-rated challenge on Wilfort
Bromley 2-0 Leatherhead
Saturday 24 January 2004
Ryman League Division One South
Stephen McCartney reports from Hayes Lane
Bromley roared to a convincing 2-0 victory over Leatherhead to complete the double over the Surrey side and moved up to eighth place in the Ryman League Division One South table.
Bromley thrashed Leatherhead 5-0 at Fetcham Grove in the middle of October, and Stuart McIntyre's men looked to repeat that score-line with an attacking attitude in the opening thirty minutes.
They did, however, open the scoring after only 107 seconds on the clock.  Colin Luckett passed short to Mark Hammond who delivered a high cross into the penalty area.  Wade Falana flicked the ball over to Michael Harney who smashed the ball home inside the near post.
Leatherhead goalkeeper Michael Johnston saved Wade Falana's shot before he pushed Jason McKoy's 22 yard stinging drive over the bar.
Another chance fell electric Bromley's way after ten minutes when Steve Potterill's long throw bounced over Falana and dropped for on-form Bobby George.  Instead of hitting the ball on the volley which would have resulted in the second goal, the ball bounced before he shot and this allowed Johnston to save the ball above his head.
Leatherhead player-manager, Alex Inglethorpe had the ball in Bromley's net but his eleventh minute header was ruled out for offside.
Passion and talent filled Bromley tore Leatherhead apart and George passed to McKoy on his right before the midfielder unleashed another fierce drive from outside the penalty box which whistled wide of the left post from a deflection off a grateful defender.
Appeals for a Bromley penalty were turned down after 20 minutes when George's skill got him to the by-line and his centre struck Iain Hendry but Referee Mr Meilack waved play on.
A minute later, on-form Harney crossed for Potterill who powerfully headed narrowly wide of the left upright at the far post but the flag was raised for a foul.
Shell-shocked Leatherhead went close after 23 minutes when prolific striker, Phil Ruggles pulled the ball back for Marc Charles-Smith who struck a left footed 20 yard effort narrowly wide of the foot of the right upright.
After thirty pulsating minutes, Harney was denied his second of the game when Johnston got down low to his right to push the fierce 22 yard left footed drive around the post.  Bromley skipper, John Myatt, whose route to goal was closed down, laid the ball across the penalty area for Harney who was unlucky not to score.
Was this the best 30 minutes of football played at Hayes Lane by Bromley this season? It certainly was!  But football is about two teams and Leatherhead came out of their shell in the closing stages of the first half with Bromley shot-stopper, Danny Harwood parrying Inglethorpe's shot with six minutes remaining.
A well-positioned Harwood saved Ruggles right footed shot just before half time, as Bromley went in 1-0 at half time, but had they taken their many chances, Leatherhead would have been well and truly finished off.
Two minutes after the break, McKoy in midfield, played the ball to his right for man-of-the-match, Hammond who took the ball on down the right channel.  He was unlucky when he shot across the goalkeeper but the ball went the wrong side of the far post.
Leatherhead were forced to shoot from distance and Jon Lloyd flashed a 30 yard shot wide of the right post before Ruggles headed straight at Harwood a minute later.
On the hour, another teasing cross from Hammond was tipped away by Johnston and as McKoy played the ball back into the danger area, George headed wide of the right upright.
Inglethorpe was left unmarked on the right hand side of the Bromley penalty area but blasted his 22 yard shot high and wide before George was ever so unlucky not to score a wonder goal.  His right footed 22 yard shot struck halfway up the right post and was denied moments later by the goalkeeper who dived to his left.
At 1-0 there was always a chance Leatherhead would snatch an unlikely point and they almost did this with Ruggles and substitute Wes Harrison well off target when they should have tested Harwood.
Bromley's three points, however, were wrapped up in style with six minutes remaining and once again their hero was super-sub, Adolph Amoako.
He received the ball from George's flick and from an acute angle his shot had enough purchase on it to beat the defender and found the far corner of the net.
The game, however, was marred by an X-rated two footed tackle by Leatherhead's Nko Ekoko on John Wilfort.  The 50/50 ball close to the half way line and touch line infront of the main stand was cleanly won by Wilfort but Ekoko came in late with two feet on Wilfort's left knee.
Incenced by the horrific challenge, this sparked off a brawl in which Bromley's Danny Smith was caught up in.  Referee Meilack, who had tried to play advantage throughout the encounter, whistled and tried to break up the melee. 
With Wilfort receiving treatment, Ekoko was brandished a deserved red card and before he left the field went over to Wilfort who was receiving treatment.  This enraged the Bromley players and some chased him down the players tunnel with some Tanners players.
Smith was also brandished a straight red card for his part in the brawl but once play was re-started Leatherhead came close when substitute Harrison fired over from a good position inside the penalty area as Harwood came rushing off his line.
Harwood made a fine save to his right to deny hit-man Ruggles at the death.
Bromley skipper, John Myatt, blasted Ekoko for his horrific challenge on Wilfort.  He said: "It was an absolutely disgraceful tackle.  I felt the same way as Danny Smith.  Ekoku has gone in to show his vengeance what was an atrocious tackle.  As captain you go in there and try to calm everybody down and hopefully not have such a bad feeling between the players.  Everybody felt the same way and wanted to put their point across.  It's just a shame that Danny Smith was there first and got caught up in it."

Myatt added: "You saw in that situation that everybody at Bromley is in it together and nobody wants to see their mate dealt with in a tackle like that.  It is weak of any player that goes into a tackle like that.  You go in committed and wanting to win the ball and if you come out hurt at the end of it you can be very unfortunate but if you go in jumping in like that two footed tackle its poor, weak and it's not what anybody wants to see."
Wilfort, however, was praised by his skipper.  Myatt continued: "John Wilfort is a good lad, he is strong and again he showed what a talent he is.  He will be strong enough to come back and knows exactly what it's all about.  He will be allright and in a couple of weeks we will see him back."
Tonbridge Angels visit Hayes Lane on Tuesday (27 January, 7.45pm) in the John Ullman Kent Senior Cup Quarter-Final.  Bromley are without a game next Saturday as Staines Town are involved in the FA Trophy.  Bromley, holders of the London Senior Cup, try to keep their grasp on the trophy, when Dulwich Hamlet visit Hayes Lane in the Quarter-Finals on Tuesday 3 February (7.45pm).
Bromley: Danny Harwood, Steve Potterill, Michael Harney, John Wilfort (Paul Kember 90), Colin Luckett, Danny Smith (sent off 87), Mark Hammond (Gary Drewett 90), John Myatt (Capt), Bobby George, Wade Falana (Adolph Amoako 67), Jason McKoy.  Subs: Paul Vines, David Smith
Leatherhead:  Michael Johnston, Adam Gray, Nko Ekoku (sent off 87), Jon Lloyd, Danny Lavender (Capt), Iain Hendry, Dante Alighieri (Michael Webb 77), Paul McKay, Alex Inglethorpe, Marc Charles-Smith (Wes Harrison 69), Phil Ruggles.  Subs: Dean Carpenter, Gary Syrett, Charlie Martin.
Referee: Mr F Meilack
Assistants: Mr M Foley and Mr K Pope
Attendance: 306
To advertise here, telephone Stephen McCartney 07979 418 360