Thursday 01st September 2005
Bromley show character following McIntyre's shock resignation
Bromley 2-0 Hampton & Richmond Borough
Saturday 25 October 2003
Ryman League Division One South
by Stephen McCartney,
In the two years he was manager, Stuart McIntyre changed Bromley from a struggling bottom of the table side into promotion contenders, so it was a shock to the Hayes Lane club when he resigned from his position as Bromley manager last Thursday.
McIntyre said: "After two years as manager of Bromley FC I have decided to step down.  During my time as manager I have given my all to try to take the club forward and to achieve as much success as possible.
"Most people who have watched us over the last few years will have seen good players join our club and some success be achieved.  However, in all walks of life you cannot please all of the people all of the time and some never.
"The job of manager of any ambitious non-league club these days is a big one and one that I have attacked with energy and enthusiasm.  However, I have reached a point where certain things are not pleasing me and I feel it is time for a change.
"I would like to thank all of the people who have assisted me during the last two years, including backroom staff and all of my players who have always been reliable and on occasions quite brilliant with of course the odd bad day. 
"I would like to thank the directors for the opportunity to manage Bromley FC.  I have had excellent support from (I think) the majority of the fans but for those of you I never got through to, thanks for coming and continuing to support the team.
"I have thoroughly enjoyed most of my time and wish everyone well."
However, the players the Scot signed during his reign at Hayes Lane are full of character and talent, and they gave caretaker manager, Eddie Saunders, 32, from Putney everything they had in such devastating times.
Saunders has called upon the help of injured Bromley players, John Myatt and Paul Kember and the club's under eighteen manager, and goalkeeping coach, Derek Parnham to assist him and all four can be pleased with the reaction of the players against fifth placed, and unbeaten in eight games, Hampton & Richmond Borough.
The Middlesex side have only lost one league game before their visit to Hayes Lane, and that was a 2-1 defeat at Dulwich Hamlet on August Bank Holiday Monday.
Hampton started brightly against a nervous looking Bromley side and after three minutes Marcello Fernandes shot wide of the right post from sixteen yards.
Bromley goalkeeper Danny Harwood saved from Michael Currie before Adrian Allen fired high over the bar for the visitors.
Bromley's first real chance came after 21 minutes when Colin Luckett drilled a low shot narrowly wide of the right upright.
Two minutes later, Bromley's commanding skipper Dean Forbes, back in the side following a toe injury, deflected Richard O'Connor's low shot from twenty yards, narrowly wide of the foot of the right post.
Bromley's depression was lifted when they took the lead after 42 minutes.
Tony Reid held the ball up on the left side of midfield and brought Leroy Huggins into play.  Huggins took the ball on sliding the ball past Orlando Jeffrey before getting to the edge of the Hampton penalty area.  Jason McKoy, whose run wasn't tracked by his marker, received a square low pass and fired right footed from 25 yards into the top left corner of the net.
Moments after the goal, John Wilfort, who has returned to the side with energy and passion following a lengthy shoulder injury, surged forward, setting up a chance for Mark Hammond but his shot went over the bar from sixteen yards.
Both goalkeepers were tested in the opening minute of the second half.  Bromley's Danny Harwood saved from O'Connor's quickly taken free kick before Huggins' effort was parried by the experienced Adrian Blake.
Reid had to stretch to make contact with the ball after 47 minutes as the shot went wide of the right upright.
Allen missed a good chance for the visitors after 56 minutes when bad control let him down inside the Bromley penalty area and his eight yard shot bounced wide.
Hammond's hanging free kick after 64 minutes found the head of Wilfort at the back post but his header, under pressure, was wide of the left post.
With fourteen minutes remaining, Allen shot at goal from an acute angle.  Harwood got a slight touch to the shot as the ball clipped the top of the near post.
Hampton, who played three men up front during the later stages of the second half, couldn't beat a solid defence, who have only conceded 8 goals in 12 league games.
Bromley wrapped up the important three points in demanding times after 86 minutes.
Substitute Adolph Amoako, who replaced Leroy Huggins, put pressure on Hampton defender Rob Paris on the right by-line forcing a corner kick to the delight of the Bromley faithful.
Colin Luckett's well thought corner was cut to Mark Hammond whose shot took a deflection off a defender before finding the bottom of the right hand corner.
All the Bromley outfield players ran to the bench to celebrate with Eddie Saunders and his back room staff and every player and member of the coaching staff must take credit for getting through a devastating couple of days.
Stuart McIntyre laid the foundations during his two year spell at Hayes Lane, where he helped Bromley win the London Senior Cup and finish in the top six last season.  It was such a shame he felt he couldn't continue and finish off the job.
Bromley: Danny Harwood, Danny Smith, Mark Willy, Joe Vines, Colin Luckett, Dean Forbes (Capt), Jason McKoy, Mark Hammond, Tony Reid (Grant Watts 90), Leroy Huggins (Adolph Amoako 77), John Wilfort (Michael Harney 86).  Subs: Paul Vines, James Gardner
Hampton & Richmond Borough: Adrian Blake, Obinna Ulasi (Jamie Jarvis 78), Sam Okafor, Marcello Fernandes, Rob Paris, Orlando Jeffrey, Michael Currie (Steve Omonua 67), Adrian Allen, Richard O'Connor (Eric Kwayke 70), Andrew Morley.  Subs: Owalbi Hamza, Lee Channell.
Attendance: 256
Referee: Mr D Ford
Assistants: Mr R Whitton and Mr S Good