Thursday 01st September 2005
Bromley lack hunger

Bromley 1-2 Egham Town
Tuesday 2 December 2003
Ryman League Division One South
by Stephen McCartney

Bromley chairman Jerry Dolke said there would be a "big clear out" following the team's shocking, passionless display against ten-man, fourth from bottom, Egham Town at the Clive Christian Stadium in Hayes Lane.

Egham substitute Paul Deluca, who replaced Paul Reed after nineteen minutes, was booked after 56 minutes for retaliating to Paul Kember's foul in midfield, before being shown his second yellow card eight minutes later for scything down Bromley right winger Bobby George.

Unfortunately, Bromley's manager Eddie Saunders and his team lacked ideas and passion, playing with a back four, against a struggling side in the table.

Egham brought a handful of vocal supporters, and they saw their side take the game to their hosts with Jeff Golding heading a Matt Edwards cross wide of the left upright after five minutes.

But Bromley's striker Adolph Amoako had a superb chance to open the scoring three minutes later.  A long ball was chased by the young striker, beating a static Egham defence.  As James Mercer, a goalkeeper recently signed from Ryman Division Two side Clapton, came off his line, Amoako tried to place the ball low inside the near post, but Mercer managed to block the shot with his legs.

Egham took the lead after thirteen minutes.  Mark Xavier was given acres of space on the right by-line and crossed the ball into the six yard box.

Marked by Danny Smith, the smallest player in the Bromley team, Golding won the ball in the air and the ball struck Harwood, before the striker fired home the rebound high into the net from close range.

Mercer made another fine save after 13 minutes, pushing Tony Reid's downward header over the crossbar before Jason McKoy lashed a 25 yard shot over the bar before Bromley levelled proceedings after 23 minutes.

Mark Hammond's cross was flicked by Adolph Amoako on the right hand side of the D, falling into Tony Reid's path.  Although he seemed to lose control of the ball, Reid managed to fire a low shot to Mercer's left and into the net.

Another Xavier cross after 31 minutes was headed over the bar by Youness Nabil, after leaping in front of his marker, Mark Hammond.

Egham finished the first half with Edwards heading over the crossbar from Xavier's free kick before Golding, who had made a run from deep, lashed over from seventeen yards with the goal at his mercy.

Victory for Bromley would have put them in a very healthy ninth position ahead of Saturday's trip to basement boys Epsom & Ewell, but unfortunately they lacked ideas and passion against a side they should have beaten.

Harwood standing off his line saw Nabil's fifty yard shot sail over his crossbar before the Sarnies scored the winning goal after 53 minutes.

Golding, brought the ball under control, and rifled a shot from 25 yards out over Harwood's head into the roof of the net.

Following's Egham's red card, Tony Reid headed Kember's long ball across goal towards the far post and Egham skipper Andy Dugdale was forced to head the ball wide of the left upright for a corner.

Bromley defender Mark Willy kicked thin-air and gave Edwards a chance on goal.  With only Harwood to beat, the goalkeeper made a fine block to deny the prolific goalscorer.

With their loyal fans streaming out of the ground, Bromley's most worthwhile chance on goal against ten men came with three minutes remaining when Mercer dived low to his left to push Michael Harney's 30 yard drive around the upright.

Bromley: Danny Harwood, Steve Potterill, Mark Willy, Mark Hammond (David Smith 46, Paul Vines 66), Danny Smith (Capt), Paul Kember, Jason McKoy, Bobby George (Nigel Pearce 88), Tony Reid, Adolph Amoako, Michael Harney.  Subs: Dean Cairns, John Butler

Egham Town: James Mercer, Graham Jacks, Paul Reed (Paul Deluca 19), Bryan Smith, Derick Payne, Thierry Messi (Aaron Nicholls 46), Youness Nabil, Mark Xavier, Matt Edwards (Clayton Whittle 89), Jeff Golding.  Sub: Eddie Gray

Referee:  Mr B Gee
Assistants: Mr S Roots and Mr K Pope

Attendance: 166