Thursday 01st September 2005

Nugent delivers knockout punch

Bromley 0-1 Dulwich Hamlet
London Senior Cup Quarter-Final
Tuesday 3 February 2004
Stephen McCartney reports from Hayes Lane

Holders Bromley surrendered their grasp on the London Senior Cup in a disappointing display against old rivals Dulwich Hamlet at Hayes Lane.

Dulwich entertain Ford United in the last four of the competition, the side Bromley beat 1-0 in last season's final at Victoria Road, Dagenham.

With the trophy sitting inside the home dressing room as a reminder of their exploits at Dagenham & Redbridge last April, Bromley started their defence of their trophy at the quarter-final stage, but unfortunately they clearly lacked motivation to keep the famous old trophy at Hayes Lane for another season.

Dulwich Hamlet second-choice goalkeeper Paul Seuke denied Adolph Amoako after nine minutes following a flick on from his strike-partner Bobby George, who withdrew from the action three minutes before the break with a groin strain, following a Steve Potterill throw-in in what was Bromley's only real chance throughout the game.

After being booked in the 19th minute for scathing down Ronnie Green, Bromley defender Mark Willy was the home side's best player on the night.  Willy has been out of action since Christmas with a head injury, and showed his committed form again, even though he played with a bandage covering his forehead.

Lee Akers' resulting free kick from the left hand side of the D rolled comfortably to Bromley goalkeeper Danny Harwood, who was the busier of the two goalkeepers.

Harwood, however, made a brilliant reaction save diving to his right to push Meshach Nugent's fierce shot over the crossbar, a minute before Nugent scored the winning goal for the visitors in the 24th minute.

Former Bromley player Justin Bowen lifted the ball into Nugent's path and as Harwood advanced off his line, the nineteen-year-old striker flicked the ball over him and over the goal-line from 12 yards.

Nugent, who is understudy to the prolific Omari Coleman who was sitting on the bench, must have impressed the watching Carshalton Athletic management team of Billy Smith and George Wakeling and he twice went close to scoring another goal in as many minutes.

His first shot, from 25 yards, sailed over Harwood's bar before the goalkeeper had to  get his body fully behind his next shot moments later.

Another Dulwich chance came just before the break when Tony Houghton squared the ball to Francis Quarm and the midfielder flashed a shot narrowly wide of the top of the left upright from 30 yards.

A response from the cup holders failed to materialise after the break and Harwood, who was standing four yards from his goal-line, saved at chest height from Akers stinging free kick ten yards from the half way line.

Bromley midfielder, Jason McKoy was awarded a free kick after 55 minutes but Michael Harney's 26 yard free kick sailed over the five man wall and high over the Dulwich crossbar.

Three minutes later Harwood made another fine save saving Green's shot from sixteen yards.  The Bromley shot-stopper parried the shot around the post before a dubious offside flag denied Dulwich a perfect goal after 63 minutes.

Russell Bedford floated a cross from the right channel over Harwood and the ball dropped inside the far post but the flag was raised for an offside offence inside the penalty area.

In the 71st minute, Referee Mr J Bottomer showed Dulwich Hamlet skipper Alex O'Brien a yellow card for kicking a basketball, which was lying on the sidelines, onto the pitch.

With only four minutes remaining Harwood saved Jason Turley's driven shot on goal.

Bromley will need to recover their motivation when they travel to Metropolitan Police in the Ryman League Division One South on Saturday (3pm) before they host Slough Town (Tuesday 10 February, 7.45pm), Worthing (Saturday 14 February, 3pm) and Croydon Athletic (Tuesday 17 February, 7.45pm) at Hayes Lane in vital must-win league games.

Bromley: Danny Harwood, Steve Potterill, Michael Harney, John Butler, Mark Willy, Danny Smith (Capt), Mark Hammond, Paul Kember, Bobby George (Paul Vines 42), Adolph Amoako, Jason McKoy.  Subs: Gary Drewett, John Myatt, David Smith, Edwin Mante

STAR MAN: Mark Willy

Dulwich Hamlet:  Paul Seuke, Tony Houghton, Lee Akers, Alex O'Brien (Capt), Justin Bowen, Russell Bedford, Jason Turley, Francis Quarm, Meshach Nugent, Danny Ward, Ronnie Green (Charley Side 77).  Subs: Omari Coleman, David Moore, Scott Edgar, Scott Ward

STAR MAN: Meshach Nugent

Attendance: 222
Referee: Mr J Bottomer
Assistants: Mr D Sotimirin & Mr A Ajibola

To advertise here telephone Stephen McCartney 07979 418 360