Thursday 01st September 2005
Bromley and Amoako take flight
Bromley 3-0 Dartford
FA Cup Second Qualifying Round
Saturday 27 September 2003
by Stephen McCartney
Bromley goalkeeper Danny Harwood has now kept four clean sheets in succession, and has not conceded a goal in 444 minutes of football as Bromley cruised into the third qualifying round of the FA Cup in front off Bromley's highest attendance since Stuart McIntyre took over at Hayes Lane in October 2001.
The passionate, vocal crowd off 542 saw Bromley put on their best performance in front of their supporters at the Clive Christian Stadium to go into Monday's draw, knowing another two wins will get the Ravens into the FA Cup First Round proper for the first time since 1996. 
It took Bromley five minutes to break the deadlock.  Mark Willy travelled with the ball before crossing for Adolph Amoako and his header under pressure crept into the bottom left hand corner of Dartford's net.
Martin Buglione wasted two free kicks for Dartford in the space of two minutes. 
Mark Hammond's whipped in free kick from the left channel found buzzing Amoako but his overhead kick went over Jimmy Simpson's crossbar.
Simpson came off his line to meet Paul Kember's cross but the goalkeeper missed the ball and Amoako's first shot was blocked by a Dartford defender. Moments later, Danny Smith's centre found Amoako whose shot went narrowly over the bar finding the wrong side of the top of the net.
Bromley doubled their lead and put the game out of Dartford's reach after 28 minutes.
Bromley's talented midfielder Gary Drewett's shirt was first pulled by Paul O'Brien before he evaded the defenders sliding tackle to continue his run down the right channel.  The postman delivered a high ball for Amoako whose 12 yard headed found the top left hand corner of the net.
Simpson pulled off two fine saves after 32 minutes by first blocking Drewett's right footed shot when he found himself in space inside the Darts penalty area.  He then denied Smith before Drewett clipped the ball into the grateful goalkeepers hands.
Hammond scuffed his shot wide of the left upright with ten first half minutes left on the clock before Simpson's clearance struck Leroy Huggins but his blushes were saved as the ball rolled wide of the left upright.
Dartford's Ted Ansell, who had replaced O'Brien after 38 minutes, drove towards goal but Dean Forbes blocked the shot from outside the penalty area as the ball went out for a corner.
Hammond's injury time corner was miskicked at the near post and the ball whizzed to Amoako who headed narrowly over the crossbar.
Dartford's Paul Sykes struck a 16 yard right footed shot over Harwood's crossbar within two minutes of the re-start as the visiting side looked to get back into the game.
Hammond was sandwiched by Danny Tingley and Dave Hassett by the left corner flag, and the former Cray Wanderers, Aldershot Town and Lewes wing wizard used his skills to leave the two defenders in his wake.  His run got him into the penalty area but he scuffed his shot wide of the near post.
Simpson denied Amoako his hat-trick diving to save his deft header after 53 minutes before the striker was replaced by Tony Reid three minutes later to an ovation from the Bromley faithful.
Steve Potterill's excellent work down the right, when he stole the ball off Steve Marriner, before losing it to the defender, and winning it back created a chance for Reid whose bullet header flew over the Dartford crossbar.
Reid then shot against the side netting just after the hour following a teasing cross from Hammond.
Dartford had a brief spell when they got back into the game and after 74 minutes Harwood denied Alan Tutton at the far post and then plucked Marriner's cross out of the air on his goal line.
Bromley were rewarded a penalty with nine minutes left on the clock when Leroy Huggins was fouled by Tingley and referee Ian Gosling pointed to the spot.
Huggins slotted the penalty low into the bottom right hand corner and as Bromley celebrated the referee disallowed the goal and ordered for the spot kick to be retaken.  This time, Simpson saved Huggins retaken spot kick.
But Simpson's joy was short-lived two minutes later when Potterill's low cutting pass found Reid who took the ball around the goalkeeper to slot home his second goal for Bromley from close range.
Reid took off his shirt and jumped into the emotional Hayes Lane crowd which earnt him a booking from Gosling.
Dartford's miserable day was summed up when Steve Robinson's header clipped the right post and goalkeeper Simpson was stretchered off inside injury time.
Bromley goalkeeper Danny Harwood said: "It's going well at the moment, I am very pleased with my form.  I didn't have much to do today, to be honest, but the save from Tutton was at a vital time.  Had it gone in, it could well have been backs to the wall performance again.  Defenders Mark Willy, Joe Vines, Dean Forbes and Steve Potterill were outstanding and solid again. They are as much as part of the init as I am, so I have to thank them as well.
Speaking about the 542 crowd, Harwood added: "Let's hope the extra 200-300 that came, half of them stay for our Ryman League programme.  Obviously Dartford have a good following and brought down a few and the FA Cup always is going to attract a few more people."
Gary Drewett, who set up Amoako's second goal added: "We were very strong today throughout the whole team.  I am pleased for Tony Reid to score our third goal and Leroy Huggins also played well.  We are coming together and looking good now.  We just need to carry this performance on to our league game at Bracknell Town on Tuesday."
Tony Reid, who scored his second goal for Bromley, his first goal in front of the Hayes Lane faithful, said:  "It's my second goal,  but I am pleased for Adolph (Amoako).  The forwards are getting their act together.  An absolutely brilliant result, I am chuffed and the dressing room is bubbly.  Adolph stood out for me he did well and the whole team and the defensive line kept it tight."
Reid spent 56 minutes sitting on the bench, but he said: "It's disappointing starting the game on the bench, because you want to play in the big games, but Stuart McIntyre spoke to me before hand.  Overall its a team performance so we are all happy."
Bromley:  Danny Harwood, Steve Potterill, Mark Willy, Joe Vines, Danny Smith, Dean Forbes (Capt), Gary Drewett, Paul Kember (Colin Luckett 77), Leroy Huggins, Adolph Amoako (Tony Reid 56), Mark Hammond (Bobby George 78).  Subs: Andy Hunt, John Butler.
Dartford: Jimmy Simpson (Michael Bennett 90) Danny Tingley, Tommy Osborne, Alan Tutton (Capt), Steve Marriner, Steve Robinson, Paul O'Brien (Ted Ansell 38), Tommy Martin (Craig Hales 62), Paul Sykes, Martin Buglione, Dave Hassett.  Subs: Danny Nicholls, Jordan Assender.
Attendance: 542
Referee: Ian Gosling
Assistants:  G Johnson and B Smith
Photographs from the game, taken by Mark Avenell -