Thursday 01st September 2005

Bromley improve on poor first half showing

Bromley 1-1 Banstead Athletic
Tuesday 21 October 2003
Ryman League Division One South
by Stephen McCartney

There was cause for concern in the Bromley camp following their 1-1 draw against Banstead Athletic as talented midfielder Gary Drewett had to leave the pitch with a serious knee injury.

Drewett was replaced by James Gardner with twenty minutes remaining and left the ground on crutches and his manager Stuart McIntyre said: "We are not sure exactly yet, but I don't think it's good news.  I think Gary has got a nasty knee injury and he left the ground on crutches."

Banstead Athletic got off to an electrifying start in chilly conditions, taking the lead within 34 SECONDS of the kick off.

A Bromley attack broke down and Barry Langford blasted the ball upfield.  Bromley defender Joe Vines was caught out at the back and Stuart White drilled the ball low into the bottom far corner of the Bromley net from inside the penalty area.

Colin Luckett's cross picked out Drewett on the right and his surge set up a shooting chance after six minutes, but his shot flew over the crossbar.

White headed wide of the right upright for talented Banstead before Bromley goalkeeper Danny Harwood got down low to parry Michael Beale's low shot and the rebound fell to White.  The Banstead striker was unmarked and had an open goal gaping, but somehow shot wide of the right upright after fifteen minutes.

Mark Hammond hooked a shot into former Tooting & Mitcham United goalkeeper, Tony Webb's arms before Tony Reid, who scored twice in Bromley's emphatic 5-0 win at Leatherhead last Saturday, missed an opening following Danny Smith's high cross.

John Wilfort's cross was narrowly headed wide of his own post by Banstead skipper Mark Leahy and Mark Willy headed wide of the left upright following Luckett's delivery.

In what was a poor first half by Bromley's high standards, the second half was a bit better, and following McIntyre's words during the half time break, Bromley equalised within two minutes of the re-start.

Smith played the ball to Hammond down the right flank, and his cross was met by Leroy Huggins at the far post to score his seventh goal of the season from close range.

Reid missed an gilt edged chance after 52 minutes hitting a low drive narrowly wide of the right post before he headed wide of the same post following Hammond's pin-point cross nineteen minutes later.

Bromley went for the winning goal towards the end of the game and were unlucky not to find that much-needed strike after 81 minutes.

Hammond's long ball was chased by Reid and Banstead goalkeeper Webb came rushing out of his penalty area and headed the ball clear.  The ball was brought under control by Huggins before striking a left footed shot from forty yards.  The shot rose up in the air and came down, but unfortunately for Bromley it was the wrong side of the left upright.

Athleticism from Bromley central defender Joe Vines, denied Banstead the winning goal two minutes later when he hooked the ball off the line after Nigel Webb lifted the ball over Harwood.

Bromley applied the pressure at the death but couldn't find the magic touch to banish Banstead.

Bromley return to Hayes Lane on Saturday when Hampton & Richmond Borough are the visitors (3.00pm).  Bromley will need to put on a better show for their supporters, and victory the final outcome.

Bromley: Danny Harwood, Steve Potterill, Mark Willy, Joe Vines, Colin Luckett (Capt), Danny Smith, Gary Drewett (James Gardner 70), Mark Hammond, Tony Reid, Leroy Huggins (Adolph Amoako 84), John Wilfort.  Subs: Paul Vines, John Butler, Grant Watts

Banstead Athletic: Tony Webb, Aaron Day, Barry Langford, Mark Leahy (Capt), Wayne Finnie, James Greenaway, Marcel Dennis, Graham Knight, Stuart White (Nigel Webb 69), Richard Laming, Michael Beale.  Subs: Danny Wise, Steve Shaw, Lee Cormack

Attendance: 168
Referee: B Ayers
Assistants: T Bakare and J Garrat