Thursday 01st September 2005

Ashford washed out as Joe Wade's in...
Ravens down to ten men as Potterill sees red

Bromley 1-0 Ashford Town
FA Cup First Qualifying Round Replay
Tuesday 16 September 2003
by Stephen McCartney,

Twenty-two year old substitute Joe Wade smashed Bromley into the FA Cup Second Qualifying Round as the Ravens beat unbeaten Ashford Town 1-0 at Hayes Lane.

Bromley face Dr Martens League Eastern Division side Dartford in the next round at Hayes Lane on Saturday 27 September, but before they contemplate facing Tommy Sampson's side, they have two very important Ryman League matches to collect maximum points.  The Ravens travel to Corinthian-Casuals on Saturday, before a home clash with Tooting & Mitcham United at Hayes Lane next Tuesday.

Bromley right-back Steve Potterill received his marching orders after 64 minutes for a second bookable offence, after a two footed lunge on Aaron O'Leary.

Two minutes prior to the sending off, Bromley manager Stuart McIntyre brought on Wade, who lives in Farnborough, Kent, a bus ride away from Hayes Lane,  for Jason McKoy, and the big central midfielder came up with the goods blasting a
81st minute free kick past Ashford goalkeeper John Whitehouse.

With plenty of space in midfield, Wade played a low pass forward for fellow substitute Adolph Amoako, who was pulled back by last defender Martin Anderson, on the edge of the Ashford penalty area.

The referee, Mr S Briffit failed to produce a card to the defender and this decision angered the Bromley faithful who roared on their hero's.

Wade responded, firing hard towards goal.  The Ashford wall broke up and the ball found the back of Whitehouse's net to bring Hayes Lane to a frenzy.

Wade, who was playing for Bromleians Sports in the British Energy Kent County League last season, said: "I played the ball through to Adolph Amoako and he got fouled.  I've seen the ball go loose, grabbed it and picked my spot.  The ball
has gone through the wall and I got loads of power behind it and its flown into the net."

The game started at a quiet pace with Ashford's Adrian Stone heading over Danny Harwood's goal after five minutes.

Bromley went close six minutes later when Colin Luckett's cross came off Lyndon Tucker and bounced narrowly wide of the left upright.

Bromley striker Tony Reid had three chances to open his Bromley account in the space of seven first half minutes.

His best chance came in the 22nd minute when he flashed a shot from eight yards over the crossbar after Gary Drewett, back to his best, delivered a pinpoint cross from the right.

Ashford skipper Ian Ross drilled a shot wide of the right post just after the half hour mark.

Leroy Huggins, scorer of Bromley's equaliser in the 1-1 draw at The Homelands on Saturday,  crashed a shot narrowly wide of the right post as Bromley couldn't turn their chances into goals.

Seven minutes before the break, Reid drilled a shot wide of the left upright after goalkeeper Whitehouse went to ground early, and McKoy waited for the ball to come down before his effort sailed narrowly over the bar on the stroke of half time.

Ashford manager Tim Thorogood brought on Lewis Phillips at the break and the substitute tested Harwood within seconds of the restart with the shot-stopper coming off his line to smother the ball.

Adrian Stone's snap shot whistled past the right post after 50 minutes for the visitors.

Harwood's 60th minute kick found Drewett on the left and he sent Huggins on his way.  His cross wasn't controlled by Reid inside the penalty area but the ball found Luckett.  He took the ball into the area but blasted his twelve yard shot over the crossbar.

After being booked after 50 minutes, Steve Potterill was shown his second yellow card after 64 minutes for a two footed lunge on O'Leary.

Down to ten men, Bromley grew in strength and their back three of Dean Forbes, Joe Vines and Mark Willy were solid and the Bromley faithful got behind their team.

Forbes praised his defensive partners after the game, saying: "I think you will struggle to find three better players defensively than Mark Willy, Joe Vines and Steve Potterill.  I think they are excellent and they make it easier for me.  I
don't think we are going to concede a lot of goals."

Forbes also praised goalkeeper Harwood, keeping his second clean sheet of the campaign.  He said: "We all know how good a goalkeeper Danny Harwood is - he is an excellent player." 

Ashford had chances against the ten men with Phillips drilling a low shot across the face of goal.

After Wade's match winning strike, Bromley's continued their vocal support, and Harwood made two late saves from Phillips and Thorogood as the Dr Martens League side tried in vain to keep their unbeaten record intact.

Bromley: Danny Harwood, Steve Potterill (sent off 64), Mark Willy, Joe Vines, Danny Smith, Dean Forbes (Capt), Gary Drewett, Jason McKoy (Joe Wade 62), Tony Reid (Adolph Amoako 70), Leroy Huggins, Colin Luckett.  Subs:  Andy Hunt, Bobby Nolan, John Butler

Ashford Town:  John Whitehouse, Martin Anderson, Aaron O'Leary, Ian Ross (Capt), Rob Gillman, Lyndon Tucker, Barry Gardner (Lewis Phillips HT), James Gardner (Tommy Adlington 79), Lee McRobert, Adrian Stone (Toby Thorogood 67), Michael Beale.  Subs: Jay Westwood, Kevin Skinner.

Attendance: 309
Referee:  Mr S Briffit
Assistants:  Mr A Fissenden and Mr J Bradley