Thursday 01st September 2005

Adeniyi's wonder strike grabs three points for Lewes
Bromley 1-2 Lewes
Tuesday 19 August 2003
Ryman League Division One South
by Stephen McCartney,

Bromley goalscorer Grant Watts praised Lewes match winner, Peter Adeniyi's 73rd minute strike that grabbed three points for Lewes at Hayes Lane.

Watts, scorer of Bromley's seventh minute opener said: "Missed chances again have cost us victory. Peter Adeniyi has scored a fantastic goal. He has cut inside and his shot found the top corner. That was the difference between the two sides. Lewes took their chances!"

Former Lewes frontman, twenty seven year old, Tony Reid had two opportunities to give Bromley the lead in the first four minutes, but two shots fired wide of the right upright.

A well practised move lead to Bromley taking the lead after seven minutes. South African Steve Potterill launched a long throw from the right flank into the Lewes penalty area. Former Crystal Palace striker, Grant Watts' shot from close range finding the left of Lewes net past a motionless Lewes goalkeeper.

Bromley's play in the first half was a joy to watch and Lewes were defunct off attacking ideas on a green Hayes Lane surface.

Reid won Bromley a free kick which saw Grant Watts strike a right footed free kick over Jean-Zepherin's crossbar when well placed.

A rare Lewes attack, after 24 minutes saw a cross from the left from Dwain Clarke found Paul Kennett's head but he lacked direction.

Poor goalkeeping from Jean-Zepherin gave Reid another chance on goal, hooking his shot wide before chances fell to Dean Forbes, with a header at the far post, and David Smith, from inside the D, should have done better with a shot that flew well over the Lewes crossbar.

Lewes' Junior Kadi struck a right footed free kick from the left flank wide of the far post as his team-mates waited for a better delivery.

More chances were created, and missed, by Bromley late in the first half. Reid skimmed a low drive wide of the right post before Lewes went close deep into injury time when Luke Fontana's deflected shot narrowly went over Danny Harwood's crossbar.

Whatever was said by Lewes manager Steven King during the half time interval, did the trick as the visiting side came out for the second half and were ready to make a game of it. King brought on substitute Lee Newman and this change inspired the Sussex side.

Clarke was twice denied by Harwood, one a flying save, and the other getting down low to save.

Eleven minutes into the second half, Bromley were awarded a free kick. Grant Watts ran over the ball and his younger brother, Kirk, saw his left footed free kick sail narrowly over the crossbar.

Bromley's play was hampered by an injury to David Smith, and the tricky right midfielder was replaced by Adolph Amoako.

Amoako tested the Lewes goalkeeper on the hour, hitting a low shot which the goalkeeper was equal to.

Another Bromley substitute, Bobby Nolan, who had replaced Grant Watts, struck a left footed attempt over the bar.

Bromley were made to pay for these missed chances as Lewes equalised after 64 minutes.

Former Manchester United player, Marc Whiteman, finished off a superb free flowing Lewes move from close range. He received the ball from Fontana's flick on the right by-line. Whiteman shot low and across Harwood and the ball found the bottom left hand corner of Bromley's net.

Newman's curler tested Harwood moments later before Nolan tried his luck from distance but Jean-Zepherin made a comfortable save.

Lewes gained the upper hand for the remainder of the game and Bromley were shell-shocked after 73 minutes when Lewes grabbed the winning goal.

Former Dulwich Hamlet player, Peter Adeniyi cut inside before unleashing an unstoppable shot that flew over Harwood's reach, finding the top far corner of Bromley's net.

Another chance from former Wimbledon player, Nolan went over the Lewes crossbar from 25 yards.

Brilliant last ditch defending from Bromley central defender Joe Vines denied Lewes an unthinkable third goal after 80 minutes. Harwood lost the ball outside the penalty area and Whiteman's shot was heading for the net. Vines managed to get his foot around the ball before hooking the ball clear off the goal-line by the right upright.

As Lewes finished the game stronger, Harwood made amends for his earlier mistake by saving from Newman. Match winner Adeniyi hit a low shot narrowly wide of the right stick at the death.

Bromley will hope to get back to winning ways when Molesey visit Hayes Lane on Saturday (23rd August) before the Ravens travel to Short Lane in Stanwell to play Ashford Town (Middlesex) on Bank Holiday Monday. Both Ryman League Division One South games kicking off at 3.00pm.

Bromley: Danny Harwood, Steve Potterill, Paul Kember (Michael Harney 78), Joe Vines, Mark Willy, Dean Forbes (Capt), David Smith (Bobby Nolan 59), Jason McKoy, Tony Reid, Grant Watts (Adolph Amoako 56), Kirk Watts. Subs: Andy Hunt, John Butler


Lewes: Dominique-Jean Zepherin, Julian Curnow, Tony Chin, Paul Kennett, Dwain Clarke, Marc Cable (Capt) (Tom Graves 90), Peter Adeniyi, Danny Davis (Lee Newman HT), Luke Fontana (Dave Soutar 67), Junior Kadi, Marc Whiteman. Subs: Robert Hughes, Ahmet Suleymanoglu


Attendance: 271

Referee: Mr G S Evetts Assistants: Mr N Wilde and Mr M Drury