Thursday 01st September 2005

Ravens flying high


Saturday 10th
September 2005
FA Cup
First Qualifying Round
Colin Head reports from The Orchard
Bedfont 1 Postins 3
Bromley 4 Amoako 1
McDonnell 57
Boateng 70
Logan 90

Bromley progressed into the next round of the FA Cup after a powerful second half display that saw them past their Combined Counties League hosts, writes Colin Head.

The game was played in a bizarre atmosphere with The Orchard ground situated on the other side of the road to Heathrow Airport.  Every 30 seconds planes appeared behind one goal barely 100 feet above the crossbar creating a deafening sound and making it hard to concentrate!  

The Ravens got off to another great start, after less than a minute of play the ball fell to Adolph Amoako on the edge of the box and he tucked away his chance into the corner of the net for his first goal of the season.

Bedfont though responded immediately with their first attack down the right a good cross found the Bromley defence flat footed and Postings headed home for 1-1 with less than 2mins gone!

Bromley regrouped knowing that the game was starting all over again and had a good spell of pressure, Amoako flicked a corner just wide, Nic McDonnell headed a Sam Wood free kick just wide and the home sides Keeper Pearce was equal to anything else thrown at him.

Bedfont still kept going and troubled The Ravens defence on the break, Joe Vines had to make one brilliant saving tackle on Higgings when Mark Willy was caught trying to play offside.

McDonnell forced another great save out of Pearce as the half came to a close and Amoako couldn’t quite get on the end of a fine move involving Colin Luckett (back from his ankle injury) & Willy. Wood was brilliant in midfield proving to be a real handful all over the pitch.

The second half saw Bromley turn possession into goals, Pearce saved well from Luckett and Wood hit the post before the second goal game on 57minutes, Amoako linked up with Wood who sent over a fine cross for McDonnell to head home.

Bedfont appealed for a push by the ex-Carshalton striker, but Ref Mr Marsh turned the protests away.

Bromley manager George Wakleing rang the changes bringing on Wade Falana & Chin and this gave Bromley even more attacking impetus.

From a corner Tutu Henriques headed the ball back to Des Boateng on the edge of the box and crashed an unstoppable volley home to give Bromley a 3-1 lead.

Falana had a chance go just over as Bromley pushed on, but Bedfont also had their chances and Walker did well to tip over a vicious dipping cross from the right.

With time running out Bromley made the result slightly flattering when Falana played in Fraser Logan who cut in from the left and blasted the ball past Pearce from 10 yards to make it 4-1.

A final mention to Bedfont’s larger than life Keeper Lee Pearce who was a great laugh and kept the Bromley fans entertained during quiet spells of the game, along with the airplanes of course.


Bedfont: Pearce, Sherwood, Cook, Campello, Green, L Willis, A Willis, Jenkins, Buckle, Postings, Higgins. Subs: Danhar, D’Roario, Bryant. 

Bromley: Walker, Julius, Willy, Henriques, Vines, Boateng, Logan, Wood, Luckett, Amoako, McDonnell. Subs: Logan, Falana, Chin, Darko, McLeod.