Thursday 01st September 2005

Luckett leaves it late as ten-man Bromley make last eight

Tuesday 15th
November 2005
John Ullmann
Kent Senior Cup
First Round
Patrick Harris reports from the
Courage Stadium
Bromley 2 Banks (og) 50
Luckett 90
Ashford Town 1 Clarke 83

On a freezing cold night at Hayes Lane Bromley just managed to edge out their Ryman League Division One opponents despite having to play for over half an hour with ten men, writes Patrick Harris.

Bromley started on the front foot with Nic McDonnell heading just wide, but Ashford also had a couple of chances with Andy Walker making two good saves from Solomon Henry.

The lively Jones Awuah making his home debut had a goal disallowed on 22 minutes and only the Linesman knows why!

With both sides looking lively the tackles were flying in and Mark Willy was booked for a heavy challenge.

McDonnell headed over as Bromley began to put the pressure on Ashford, Sam Wood shot just wide and McDonnell had another header saved from a free kick from former Ashford Town midfielder Barry Gadner.

Just before the break Kevin George played a great ball to Awuah but his effort just missed the target past former Bromley Keeper Dave Wietecha.

Bromley got off to a good start in the second half, George sent over a cross and Wietecha saved from Gary Drewett.

On 50 minutes a low cross by Gardener was headed into his own net by Mark Banks as he tried to clear.

Only a minute later Bromley lost their captain when Mark Willy was sent off for his second yellow card after a clumsy foul in midfield.

Ashford tried to make their numerical advantage count, but Joe Vines made some good saving tackles and when they did break through Walker was in his usual good form.

Henry and Thorogood both shot over for the visitors and when they did get an effort on target and beat Walker, Wood cleared off the line.

Drewett and Wood were both on the end of very bad fouls when The Ravens did attack, but Referee Mr Hoare didn’t produce any cards this time round.

With only seven minutes left Ashford finally grabbed an equaliser when Walker only parried a low cross and the rebound went in off Gary Clarke.

The last few minutes were played at a furious pace Wietcha saved from Wood and Mark Tompkins as Bromley pressed to avoid the threat of extra time and when it looked inevitable a free kick was awarded for a push on Mark Tompkins.

With the game well into injury time Colin Luckett stepped up and curled in a beautiful free kick from 20yards in off the bar to secure The Ravens place in the next eight of the Kent Senior Cup.


Bromley: Walker, George, Luckett, Vines, Willy, Drewett, Gardener, Locke, Awuah, McDonnell, Wood. Subs: Collier, Falana, Tompkins, Stone, Logan.

Ashford Town: Wietecha, Adlington, Ross, Duncan, Banks, Boorman, Henry, Clarke, Thorogood, Pace, Burke. Subs: Croxton, Elliott, Bradshaw, McCann, Skinner.