Thursday 01st September 2005
Blade's sharp words inspire Thamesmead
Whitstable Town 0-4 Thamesmead Town
Saturday 25 October 2003
Go Travel Kent League Premier Division
 Thamesmead Town manager Paul Blade blasted his side during the half time interval at the Belmont, admitted Sam Thomas.
Thomas, speaking after the game, revealed:  "The manager gave us a bit of a talking to at half time,  he told us that we had been second to the ball throughout the first half and we needed to step it up a bit.  When we came out we were really up for it in the second half and those two quick goals just about killed the game off, two early goals in a couple of minutes, and that was it.  All through the game Peter Deadman put in some great crosses and showed what is all about.  We should have had a few more but it was a good result and I am dead pleased."
Many times this season Whitstable have flattered to deceive their loyal home supporters with a sterling first half showing but then come out like a different team to let the visitors romp to a win that looked as unlikely on their first half performance.
New signing Shane Davis from Sittingbourne slotted in well and enjoyed a good first half, like-wise his namesake Ryan Davis who battled along with captain Marc Seager to hold the high ground, both contributed to a strong first half showing, as did all the home players.
If there was a criticism of Whitstable in the first half it was only in their collective failure to put the ball into the back of the net, a couple of missed chances by Andy Constable and John Utterson they came apart from two sterling efforts from Andy Kier. One, a goal bound header from a Seager corner hit Lee Whitehead on the back of the head whilst he stood on the goal line and rebounded out of play with keeper Steve Northwood beaten.
The tall defender met the other, a Whitehead corner to the far post powerfully with his head but was just wide of  Northwood’s post.
For the visitors Sam Thomas was always a threat with his pace and constant worrying of defenders, as was the tall Michael Powers when urged on by the evergreen Peter Deadman as Thamesmead struggled to maintain any attacking momentum.
It looked as Town were the more likely to score first, maybe just nick the game by the odd goal of get a creditable draw. That was until the three minutes of madness at the start of the second half swept the game beyond them.

There were moans around the ground less than three minutes into the second half after Peter Deadman’s far post cross evaded Town’s keeper Mark Lane to be headed in at the far post by the tall Michael Powers.

Two minutes later Lane was picking the ball out of his net a second time after Jason Clews waltzed through Town’s defence slotting the ball home from close range.

The game was effectively dead for Whitstable at that point, they lost their shape their heads dropped and Thamesmead to their credit took a firm grip on the game, never allowing Whitstable to regain a any proper rhythm.

It was hard to see what manager Toms had done wrong judging by the first half performance, when his half time team talk must have been of the order: “We’ve done everything right, we just need a goal, just keep playing the way you have been”, instead 5 minutes into the second half they needed a miracle.

Things got worst for Town in the minute Power’s made it 3-0 after neat ball from Marc Merriden split Town’s defence giving the tall centre forward time to drive the ball beneath Lane. It was only a matter of time before goal number four was scored Power’s netting his third with ease after a Deadman long throw was allowed to bounce in the area Power’s spun and hit a first time shot in off Lane’s left hand post to round off his hat trick.

There was little cheer for Town in the second half and it was not until the 80th minute they tested Thamsmead’s keeper Steve Northwood and then it was blasted straight at him or wayward.