Thursday 01st September 2005

Knight's golden strike lands League Cup for Whitstable

Whitstable's under eighteen's end ten year wait to land trophy

Whitstable Town U18  2-1  Tonbridge Angels U18
Sunday 4 April 2004
by Tony Rouse -

Whitstable Town's under eighteen's were triumphant as they won the Plaaya League Cup Final with a Golden Goal extra time winner.  This is a massive achievement for the management of Peter Budge, Peter Blackmore and Lee Andrews and players who claim the first under eighteen's triumph for ten years.

The nerves were there for all to see as Whitstable went in search of cup final glory. 

Tonbridge had the first good chance when a corner fell loose and Tonbridge striker Patrick Blackman's shot skimmed the post.

Whitstable's best chance in the opening stages came from an Adam Wilson cross, which flew across goal but no one got on the end of it.

Both sides didn't produce what they would say was their best performance but the stakes were high as this was it, win today and become cup winners.

Half an hour in and Tonbridge took the lead when a good move was finished off in style as the Tonbridge's player flew past Beresford and into the top corner.

The goal seemed to liven Whitstable up and Aaron Knight almost hit an instant reply when put through by Steve Aslett, shooting inches wide.

Whitstable were then dealt a big blow as influential midfielder Mark Lowdon was stretchered off with an ankle injury which could end his season.

Soon after though Lowdon was celebrating from the bench as Town were level.  Adam Wilson ran clear of the Tonbridge defence and with the goalkeeper charging out he curled a magnificent shot round the goalkeeper and into the bottom corner.

The second half remained very tight and Tonbridge had the better of the first half an hour but Town hit back strongly in the last fifteen but neither side could find that winning goal.

The introduction of Craig Gardiner fired Whitstable up and Adam Wilson had a very impressive game until he left the field with another possible season ending injury.  Wilson was lively all game, he scored a stunning goal and contributed to a lot of Town's forward play all game.

Neither side could find a winning golden goal in the first period of extra time but come the second it was Town who did.

It was a superb winning goal, Aslett released Brister down the right and he flashed his cross across the face of goal and that man Aaron Knight was poaching on the back post to fire the ball into the roof of the net.

Jubilant scenes followed as Town celebrated their terrific victory and they now look forward to pressing for title honours and Kent County Cup glory.

Whitstable Town: Beresford, Duffy, Tanner, Sayer, Baker, Wilson (Brister), Stunt (Gardiner), Aslett, Parker, Lowdon (Seagers), Knight.  Subs: Furner, Keavney