Thursday 01st September 2005

Becks start to struggle on deteriorating pitches

Saturday 10th
December 2005
Kentish Observer League Ian Muir reports from Culverden Stadium
Tunbridge Wells 2 Hickmott 18
Hilden 28
Beckenham Town 2 Morris 3,55

Beckenham shared the points against a tough Tunbridge Wells side on Saturday, despite storming into the lead within the first five minutes Becks allowed Wells back into the game, writes Ian Muir.
Daniel Morris raced through to lift the ball over the advancing keepers head on three minutes and a minute later Kadi drove in a fierce shot which rebounded off the post.

Difficult conditions forced Beckenham to abandon their normal passing game and were just content with playing a more direct approach feeding the wide players.

With Beckenham’s rotation policy forcing Kent League top scorer Vines to sit on the bench it was up to Morris to lead the line.

The home side were reduced to shooting from range, but nerveless still managed to get themselves into goalscoring opportunities. The visitors never really looked comfortable at the back often getting caught square and it was in the 18th minute when a good move by the home side left Sinclair in no-mans-land and Hickmott fired home beyond the diving Tolfrey.

The goal raised Wells' who now felt that they could get something from the game.

Beckenham continued to press forward but did not have the same urgency of their opponents. It was no surprise when Tunbridge took the lead in the 28th with a tremendous strike from Ben Hilden into the top corner - his first goal for the club.
Going into the break Beckenham started to play some neat football and it appeared that a second half comeback was on the cards.
Beckenham started the second period at an impressive rate, clearly keen to make amends for the first-half performance, their passing often reducing Tunbridge Wells to onlookers and it was Morris again who ran-on to a through ball from Adeniyi to slide the ball under the helpless keeper.

Beckenham now took the game by the scruff of the neck with quick passing and direct running and another goal looked certain. Adeniyi picked up the ball just inside the Wells' half and burst through a pack of defenders only to be tripped just inside the area, loud appeals for a certain penalty were dismissed, even the home supporters felt it was a penalty.

To make matters worse another appeal five minutes later was turned down as substitute Dean lodge was to fast for the home side.

Ten minutes later a two-footed challenge on Town’s Hudson saw the ref produce a yellow card, Hudson was also cautioned for retaliation, the match was held up for about four minutes as the ref consulted his assistants. The game seemed to lose its momentum from then on and both sides had to settle for a point.
The game was not a pretty one and League leaders Beckenham will have to adjust their game to suit the conditions in the next few months as pitches start to deteriorate. It was more bad news for Beckenham as influential defender Tony Sinclair went off with a knee injury.
Beckenham entertain Thamesmead Town in the Kent League at Eden Park Avenue on Saturday, whilst Tunbridge Wells host Herne Bay.

Beckenham Town:  Rob Tolfrey, Nicolas Plumain, Jake Daniels (capt), Peter Adeniyi, Errison Ahwan, Tony Sinclair, Gavin Rose, Junior Kadi, Ryan Martin, Daniel Morris, James Cheeseman.
Subs. Asher Hudson, Ohran Stewart, Paul Vines, Dean Lodge, Cedric Meeko.