Thursday 01st September 2005
Zillwood inspires Lordswood
Wednesday 13 August 2003
Tunbridge Wells  (Steve Knell 7, David Burren 39) 2 
Lordswood (Sam Colyer 49, Mike Cunningham 75, 77)   3
Stephen McCartney, Editor of www.kentishfootball.co.uk reports from Culverden Stadium
Barry Zillwood's half time team talk inspired his Lordswood side as they clawed back a 2-0 deficit at the break to win 3-2 at Culverden Stadium to reach the summit of the Go Travel Kent League Premier Division.
MIke Cunningham, was their hero scoring twice in the space of two minutes late in the second half to give Lordswood six points from the opening two games.
Tunbridge Wells thought they had opened the scoring after four minutes.  Lordswood goalkeeper Andy Herbert allowed Jon Myall's free kick from the left  drop into the back of the net.  Referee Mr Ragsdell awarded the home side an in-direct free kick so awarded Lordswood a goal-kick as the home side appealed for a goal.
But after seven minutes, Herbert was beaten, as Tunbridge Wells scored from a well worked move.
Steve Gibbons pass found pint-sized Steve Knell, who took two touches before striking a low shot inside the bottom left hand corner of the net, beating the goalkeeper's dive to the right.
Tunbridge Wells goalkeeper Matt Bronby was tested as Grant Gallagher and Gianluca Peron fired in low shots, but Bronby produced a fine stop from James Short,diving to his right to save the 16 yard goal-bound effort.
Gallagher saw a fine shot, after cutting inside Knell and Jon Myall, saved by the on-form goalkeeper after 23 minutes.
The home side went close when Mark Gibbons overhead kick was saved by Herbert before Adrian James testing shot bounced up off Herbert's body before the goalkeeper saved at the second attempt.
After losing 3-2 at Thamesmead Town last Saturday, Tunbridge Wells doubled their lead after 39 minutes when Wayne Balmer delivered a high cross from the right and Dave Burren, who scored 17 goals for the Culverden Stadium outfit last season, got infront of Herbert and a defender to head into the left corner of the Lordswood net.
Lordswood manager Zillwood delivered the perfect inspiring half time team talk and his players responded pulling a goal back within four minutes of the re-start.
Substitute Steve Weeks, a thorn in the home side, received the ball down the left channel and delivered a cross for Sam Colyer who headed into the same corner of the net as Burren's first half header.
Tunbridge Wells' Gary Valli saw his 59th minute shot drop narrowly over the Lordswood crossbar before the home side went close five minutes later when Myall's clipped shot went agonising close to finding the top right hand corner.
But Lordswood came back with their fighting spirit and two goals from Mike Cunningham in the space of two minutes fired the Lords to the top of the table.
Cunningham received a perfect through ball after 75 minutes and duly despatched a fine shot past Bronby and into the Tunbridge Wells net.
The substitutes bench went wild two minutes later when the home side failed to clear their lines and Gallagher set up Cunningham and Bronby was beaten for the third time in the match.
James Short, scorer of Lordswood's winner against Slade Green on Saturday, could have wrapped up the victory for Lordswood but his header was narrowly wide of the right upright following Kevin Thornburn's whipped in cross from the left flank.
Tunbridge Wells' Gibbons fired a shot under pressure into the side netting before Mayall and Andy Garrett were off target for the home side in the closing stages.
But Lordswood are the team standing at the top of the Go Travel Kent League Premier Division tonight with a 100% record.
Lordswood manager, Barry Zillwood said after the game: "I told the players at half time we were not beat.  We were proberly second to most of the balls in the first half but I knew we could do a lot better and the players came out for the second half and proved me right.
"We have reached the dizzy heights at the top of the table by not losing a game yet.  We have a tough game on Saturday against VCD Athletic, and after watching them last night I know they are a good side and I can tell you more about our chances after that game.
Disappointed Tunbridge Wells manager, Steve Clark, whose side have lost both their opening Kent League games, said: "I think we switched off a little bit at half time and Lordswood scored a silly goal at the start of the second half.  Our players heads went and then we just didn't pick up their runners in the second half.  It's a bit disappointing but hopefully we can learn from the game and pick up some results.
"I thought a few players played well tonight, especially Steve Knell and Wayne Balmer and a few good performances but there was also a lack of concentration."
Tunbridge Wells:  Matt Bronby, Jon Mayall, Andy Garrett, Steve Clark, Gary Valli, Adrian James (Shane Hickmott 80), Wayne Balmer, Ashley Burrows (Peter Merchant 66), Steve Gibbons, Dave Burren, Steve Knell.  Subs:  Scott Fox, Paul Washer
Lordswood:  Andy Herbert, Paul Bates, Kevin Thornburn, Andy Battersby (Steve Clements 56), Dean Woodland, Sam Colyer, Grant Gallagher, Mike Cunningham, James Short, John Gissing (Steve Weeks 26), Gianluca Peron (James Day 73).  Subs: Ray Broad, Paul Piggot
Referee:  Mr D Ragsdell
Assistants:  Mr S Clay and Mr I Pollard