Tuesday 30th August 2005

Wells looking to bounce back

Tunbridge Wells manager Kevin Metcalf insists his players won't repeat their poor performance in their FA Cup preliminary round replay against Littlehampton Town on Wednesday night, writes Stephen McCartney.

They came away from Woodside Road with a 1-1 draw on Sunday, thanks to Scott McRobert's goal, which earnt them a replay.

In an EXCLUSIVE interview with www.kentishfootball.co.uk, Metcalf reflected: "Basically we've got no answers as the boys didn't perform on a magnificent surface at Worthing.  We just didn't get the ball down and play.

"Littlehampton were there for the taking and basically we just didn't punish them.

"It was a bad game for both sides.  There was plenty of end to end stuff with no end product."

However, the Wells boss is confident his side can finish off the job and progress into the next round, with a trip to Metropolitan Police or Bracknell Town - who replay at Larges Lane tonight - awaiting them on 10th September.

"We won't put in the same performance on Wednesday - I can assure you that," Metcalf insisted.

Looking ahead to the next round - if they get there - Metcalf added: "It is a big incentive and it also shows us how far the club has come taking on these type of teams."

Metcalf will discuss tactics with coaches Martin Telford and Dave Rice to assess what went wrong at the weekend.

"I don't feel any pressure because I believe we've got the squad and the coaches to take this club forward," he said.

"As I said to my boys, if you can't get up for a FA Cup game you might as well pack your bags - but saying that the Kent League is our priority."

Describing Sunday's lacklustre display, Metcalf used his common phrase: "Bad day at the office," but is confident his side can bounce back and secure a victory on home turf.

"We are all upbeat," he said.  "To be honest the players are upset for the fans.  They feel they didn't put a performance in for the supporters - but they will on Wednesday."

Tunbridge Wells v Littlehampton Town
FA Cup Preliminary Round Replay
Wednesday 31st August 2005
Kick Off 7:45pm
at Culverden Stadium, Culverden Down, Tunbridge Wells