|www.yourcounty.co.uk - The Kent Website - Supporting Kentish Football|
We must take our chances, insists frustrated Wells boss Metcalf
TUNBRIDGE WELLS manager Kevin Metcalf has told his players they must start taking their chances after they were held to their fourth Go Travel Kent League draw of the season on Saturday, writes Stephen McCartney.
win of their league campaign was against Sporting Bengal United, winning 2-0 at
Culverden Stadium, but they couldn't complete the double over the east London
side, following their 1-1 draw at the same time as the England-Wales televised
international took place at Old Trafford.
The most frustrating element for Tenterden based Metcalf at the moment is his side are creating enough chances in games but can't find that elusive goalscoring touch in front of goal.
This has plagued his team throughout the campaign and because of this, the are sitting in ninth place in the table, with five points from five league games played.
After taking a 12th minute lead at the Mile End Stadium, Wells looked favourites to go on and win the game comfortably, but once again they failed to finish off their opponents.
The visitors started brightly and a well worked move down the right hand side involving Kieron Jennings and Steve Ward saw the latter send in a cross to the far post and Steve Smith found the back of the net.
Metcalf admitted: "We started very brightly. It was all Tunbridge Wells in the first twenty minutes and we converted a well taken goal.
the next quarter of an hour, after scoring the goal, we looked quite
But Metcalf's side came back to Kent with only one point - instead of the desired three - and the manager added: "We basically took our foot of the gas and we let Bengal get back into their rhythm of play, which we also did in the second half, and they equalised in the 63rd minute.
"It was a very sloppy goal to concede, and the lads, myself and Martin Telford (coach) believed it was two points dropped, rather than a point won."
Tunbridge Wells will be looking for six points in their next two games, against teams below them in the table.
Beckenham Town are the visitors to Culverden Stadium on Saturday (3pm)before they travel to Slade Green on Tuesday 19th October (7.45pm).
Metcalf said: "I think the next two games are important as we need to keep in touch with the leading pack and are the sort of games I will be looking to win."
Daniel Barham is available for selection after completing a seven-day suspension but Buster Beaney is now in the second week of a five week ban. Jay Westwood, however, is still out nursing a swollen shoulder but Kevin Brown's fitness will be put under the spotlight in a midweek reserve team game.
admitted he was happy with the progress made at the club this season, but
insisted he would like more fans flocking through the turnstiles.
"I am very pleased with the professional set up at the club now and also with the professional attitude of the players.
"I have been impressed with Martin Telford and Dave Rice - their professional attitude with coaching and the respect they bring from the players.
"Obviously I would like to see more people through the gate, because we are playing an entertaining style of football, despite our four draws so far.
"We are trying to play football in the right way.
"Saturday's draw, however, was one too many and we have explained this to the players after the game on Saturday."