Thursday 01st September 2005
Wednesday 30th
March 2005
Go Travel Kent League
Premier Division
Darrell Harman reports from North Dane Way
Lordswood 1 Gissing 58
Thamesmead Town 2 Deadman 43
Merridan 70

Lewis costs Lordswood a point

LORDSWOOD'S jinx continued tonight as they failed to get three points at home.

They started well as Lee Sturgeon burst forward and passed to John Gissing, who flicked it onto Steve Sharp who, from 20 yards on the left, saw his fourth minute shot go just past the post.

But as in previous games Lordswood let the opposition get back into the game and Thamesmead almost broke the deadlock seven minutes later.  Aaron Burett's clearance went straight to Curtis Williams' whose first time shot from seven yards was saved by Lordswood goalkeeper Phil Lewis' legs.

Paul Blade's visitors controlled the possession for the next twenty minutes without causing any problems.  However, in the 31st minute, Lordswood should have taken the lead when talented striker Andy Doerr received the ball from a throw in, crossed into the six-yard box and Ray Broad headed over.

Another good chance fell the home side's way when Gary Peck saw his flicked header, from a long throw, cleared off the line.

Thamesmead, however, opened the scoring after 43 minutes.  A corner came over to the near post and Peter Deadman rose unopposed and his header found the back of the net.

Lordswood started the second half with a lot more purpose and Doerr collected a bad pass from Danny Kemp, the visiting goalkeeper, burst into the penalty area, dummied the goalkeeper, was forced wide but his shot was cleared.

Two minutes later Doerr made space for himself but saw his shot flash past the post.

In a rare attack, Thamesmead almost increased their lead when Deadman's free kick found Lee Loveridge and his header beat Lewis but came back off the post.

Lordswood, who must collect at least four points from their last two games of the season to finish off the bottom of the table, although both Erith Town and Deal Town have games in hand, finally got their reward for their play in the 58th minute.  A long ball in the channel found Doerr and his cross was met by John Gissing inside the area, firing home from eight yards.

The game was drifting away for both sides and it looked like both sides were to collect one point each.

However, the South East Londoners secured the three points with 20 minutes left.  A long ball forward saw Jason Clews chase a lost cause and Lewis came out and collected the ball.  The goalkeeper was adjudged to be outside the penalty area and a free kick was awarded.  John Mayall stepped up, curled it around the wall but it bounced in front of Lewis who could only parry it out to Marc Merridan, who reacted the quickest and stabbed home from three yards.

Thamesmead are now ninth in the table with seven games to play - they have games in hand on all the sides above them.  They can go one point behind Tunbridge Wells if they collect all three points against Kevin Metcalf's side at Bayliss Avenue on Saturday (3pm).

Lordswood finish their season with home games against leaders Ramsgate (16th April) and Hythe Town (Wednesday 20th April).

Lordswood: Lewis, Burrett (Cunningham 74), Russell, Crust, Peck, Skinner, Broad, Gissing, Doerr, Sturgeon (Almond 66), Sharp.  Subs: Dengate, Read.