Thursday 01st September 2005

07979 418 360

Saturday 19th
February 2005
Go Travel Kent League
Premier Division
Robert Smith reports from North Dane Way
VCD Athletic 3 Main 30,90
Probetts 49 (pen)
Slade Green 3 Hayes 26
Bowey 52
Kearley 76

Main's parting gift before he goes down under

FOR the second time this season VCD goal machine Jon Main stunned Slade Green with a last minute equaliser as these local neighbours played out an entertaining 3-3 draw on Saturday. 

When the two sides met at Green’s Small Glen Ground back in September Main’s last gasp goal gave Vickers a 2-1 win in what was his first game back from Australia and it was ironic that his latest goal would come in his final game against the same opponents before once again jetting off to that far away land down under. 

It took 12 minutes for the first worthwhile chance of the game to materialise as Green’s leading scorer Ryan Hayes played in an inch perfect cross towards Dean Bowey but the Green striker was unable to make proper contact with the ball and his effort drifted wide. 

Keeper Lee Heywood returned to Green line up in place of Paul Vines and it was his brilliance that kept the scores level on the 15 minute mark as is acrobatics kept out a certain goal from Danny Penny following Paul McCarthy’s slick pass. 

With 21 minutes played Hayes fired Green ahead with a breathtaking solo goal.  Having picked up the ball midway in the Vickers half, Hayes embarked on a run down the wing and having left Clayton Probets in his wake, Hayes cut into the box beat a further two VCD defenders before promptly slotting the ball home. 

Within four minutes VCD were back on terms, Mark Greatorex’s long punt forward picked out Jon Main and having played a 1-2 with Steve Hogg, Main smashed the ball home. 

The second half was just four minutes old when the home side moved ahead, keeper Heywood was adjudged to have fouled the onrushing Paul McCarthy in the box and from the spot kick that followed Probets made no mistake. 

Straight from the kick Green pressed for the equaliser and after Tony Gallagher had sprayed the ball wide,  Bowey carried the ball forward before firing narrowly wide. 

However, in the 52nd minute with his next opportunity Bowey did find the net.  After Hayes had played in Wayne Barrett, the midfielder’s shot was kept out by keeper Marc Brown only for the rebounding ball to fall to Bowey who drilled it home. 

With 15 minutes remaining Green moved ahead for the second time, having been awarded a corner, Hayes floated the ball in from the left and Dean Kearley nipped in between two players and send a cheeky flick beyond the reach of keeper Brown. 

With the game seemingly won for the visitors disaster then struck, Green were incensed that Mo Miah had impeded Tony Gallagher but this was ignored by the referee and as a result Miah’s pass released Main who let fly with a stunning virtuoso strike. 

The home side then almost grabbed victory when with the last attack of the game Gary Ward’s cross picked out McCarthy whose header when well placed drifted wide.