Thursday 01st September 2005

07979 418 360

Saturday 29th
January 2005
Go Travel Kent League
Premier Division
Robert Smith reports from The Small Glen
Slade Green 3 Martin 2,44
Hayes 84
Sporting Bengal United 2 Gabriel 35,48

Slade Green move into top half

Ryan Hayes 10th goal of the season six minutes from time secured Slade Green their second win inside the space of four days to kill off the gallant challenge of a Sporting Bengal side that had twice came back from behind. 

Although the victory moved Slade Green into the top half of the table for the first time this season, boss Phil Miles slammed his side’s display. 

He said: ‘It was an inept performance.  Too many of our players performed below par, I got the feeling that the team believed they had won the game before the kick off.  No disrespect to Sporting Bengal, a better side would have beaten us today’. 

The home side made a dream start taking a 2nd minute lead, despite seemingly being impeded by his marker, Danny Little showed great vision to pick out Dave Martin with a cross-field pass, which culminated in the flying winger slotting the ball home. 

Two minutes later Green again had the Bengal defence stretched, a pinpoint pass from Wayne Barrett released Ryan Hayes who having  burst down the wing squared the ball into the path of Danny Little whose effort drifted agonisingly wide of the target.. 

With eleven minutes played Green did find the net again, having met Ryan Hayes centred ball, Dean Bowey played the ball on for Dave Martin only to see his goal disallowed for offside. 

Following this bout of early pressure Green seemed to take their foot off the peddle and with it
Bengal began to look dangerous. 

Rui Montiero’s cross looked to have played in prolific goalscorer Daniel Gabriel only for Darren Upson to intervene with a good clearance. 

However, with 35 minutes on the clock
Bengal levelled the scores, Shaun Malyon did well to block a free kick only for the loose ball to fall to Gabriel who promptly placed the ball beyond the diving reach of keeper Paul Vines.

The Green shot stopper then proved to equal to the challenge as he defied Gabriel with his legs when the
Bengal striker was left clean through on goal. 

This save proved pivotal because instantly Green regained their lead, Darren Upson let fly with a glorious 30 yard through ball to find Dave Martin and with the keeper Ian Brewster moving off his lime, Martin expertly dispatched an audacious lob over the keeper into the net. 

Green’s lead lasted just 3 minutes into the second half as Gabriel capitalised on a rare mistake by defender Dean Kearley who lost procession to allow the
Bengal hit man to level the scores. 

Paul Vines then had to be alert to parry an effort from Ricky Browne to prevent the
East London club from moving ahead. 

With 25 minutes remaining skipper Tony Gallagher was introduced to proceedings and his presence seemed to settle Green and no less than four times his deft passing released Dave Martin into possible scoring positions. 

With the game evenly poised the woodwork rescued both sides, having met Hayes cross, Martin saw his cheeky back heel strike the post while at the other end Abul Hussain’s strike crashed against the crossbar with keeper Vines beaten. 

With six minutes remaining Green struck the decisive blow.  Dean Kearley made amends for his earlier mistake when from deep inside his own half he played a peach of a pass find Dave Martin, instead of going for goal himself, Martin paraded great skills before playing in Ryan Hayes who confidently cut inside and out of his marker before rattling the ball home.


Slade Green:  Vines, Lewis, Barber, Malyon, Kearley, Upson, Martin (Morris), Barrett (Penny), Little (Gallagher), Bowey, Hayes.  Other subs:  Westcarr, Heywood