Thursday 01st September 2005

The Kent Website
Supporting Kentish Football


Saturday 11th
December 2004
Go Travel Kent League
Premier Division
Robert Smith reports from The Small Glen
Slade Green 2 Dean Bowey 27
Ryan Hayes 71
Lordswood 1 Ashley Russell 57

Green secure first double of season

Ryan Hayes (back from holiday) stepped off the bench to net his seventh goal in as many games to move Green within 6 points of leaders Ramsgate, but it was goalscoring grandmaster Dean Bowey who stole the show with a truly virtuoso goal as Green secured their first double of the season  

The home side dominated the first half Dave Martin fired wide of the far post following Wayne Barrett’s through ball, Shaun Malyon hit over from 20 yards while Scott Muttock bravely collected the ball as Bowey looked set to pounce following excellent approach play from Scott Lewis.  

Green finally hit the net in the 27th minute Barrett sprayed the ball cross field to find Billy Bond who laid it on for Bowey, situated on the left 25 yards out, Bowey looked up to see the position of the keeper before brilliantly switching the direction of the ball to sent it looping into the far corner of the goal to score his 298th career goal.

40-year-old prolific striker Bowey should have added a second goal 6 minutes before the interval as he collected Mark Sabatino’s cross only for his header from 8 yards to be thwarted by keeper Muttock. 

Lordswood’s only worthwhile opening of the opening 45 minutes arrived on the stroke of half time as Richard Radbourne rose high to head on a corner and as the ball veered towards the top right corner of the goal Scott Lewis was on hand to head the ball off the line. 

Green keeper Lee Heywood had to be alert at the start of the second half as he dashed off his line to block Almond while at the other a deep ball from Tony Gallagher was nodded back across goal from Bond only for Bowey to plant his header wide. 

Bowey and Bond again combined well moments later this time Bowey’s glorious centred ball from the left being met by Bond and as the ball bobbled Bowey re-appeared only for his shot to drift wide with the Lords defence in total disarray.

With 57 minutes on the clock Lordswood levelled the scores as the head of Ashley Russell met a cross and as the ball cannoned back off the post it rebounded against defender Dean Kearley into the net. 

The visitors may then have edged ahead, Heywood saved well from Radbourne’s free kick while a snapshot drifted wide following a break down the left. 

With 71 minutes played Green hit what proved to be the winning goal, Dave Martin broke down the left and following his cross, Bowey played a fabulous dummy and there on hand to rap the ball home was Ryan Hayes.

The Green youngster could then have turned from hero to villain as he lost the ball close to his own penalty box but fortunately for him Scott Bucklen fired over the post. 

This began a late rally from the Medway club, but it proved to be to no avail as Green held on to secure their second win inside three days.

Slade Green: Heywood, Lewis, Sabatino (Hayes), Gallagher, Penny (Upson), Kearley, Martin, Barrett, Malyon, Bowey, Bond.  Sub:  Abbott

Lordswod: Muttock, Sharp (Cunningham 75), Russell, Dengate, Radbourne, Peck, Gallagher, Almond, Hetterley, Bucklen, Brown (Broad 63).  Subs: Crust, Piggott