Thursday 01st September 2005
www.yourcounty.co.uk - The Kent Website - Supporting Kentish Football

Saturday 25
September 2004
FA Vase
Second Qualifying Round
Robert Smith reporting
Hamble ASSC 0  
Slade Green            1   (aet) Hayes 102

Hayes steers Green to first win of the season

An extra time goal from Ryan Hayes secured Slade Green their first victory of the season as they moved into the first round proper of the FA Vase with a hard fought 1-0 win at Wessex League side Hamble ASSC on Saturday. 

Hayes pounced in the 102nd minute. Following a short taken corner from Billy Bond, Danny Little's inch perfect pass was guided towards Hayes who rose above all and sundry to power home a bullet header into the Hamble net. 

At times Green's play was somewhat cavalier as they gave the ball away cheaply and twice inside the opening 15 minutes Glen Colmer and Darren Hedges delivered dangerous crosses into the path of Richard Morse who firstly headed wide before then seeing the ball scooped away from his feet by keeper Paul Vines. 

Green's first attack arrived in the 25th minute when Tony Gallagher was only a whisker away from slotting home Ryan Hayes deep cross.

Industrious play from Gallagher and Wayne Barrett then provided the opportunity for Chris Tuley to find the net but the striker drilled his effort over the bar. 

Shortly afterwards Tuley turned provider as he skilfully turned his marker before picking out Hayes whose strike flashed across the face of the Hamble goal. 

Green dictated play from the start of the second half, Gallagher headed over from Billy Bond's corner while Hayes sent an effort flying inches over following Mark Sabatino's lay off. 

However, Green should have found the net on 67 minutes, Hayes squared pass sent Gallagher bursting through the defence only to see his effort drift the wrong side of the post.

Hayes again opened up the Hamble defence 5 minutes later when his cross look set to be converted by Chris Tuley but the Green man lost his footing and the chance was gone. 

Hamble stepped up the pace in the final 15 minutes and took control of the game.  Rob Cox sent a free kick curling just wide while  Paul Vines came to Green's rescue with an acrobatic save to deny Luke Musselwhite a certain goal after Lee Barber had lost possession. 

Soon after  Steve Witcher split Green's defence with some neat play before seeing his canon back off the cross-bar and the same player then fluffed his effort with the goal at his mercy following Rob Cox's pass from midfield and in the very last minute Musselwhite saw his strike shade the Green post.

In extra time Green looked the more likely to win the tie and prior to Hayes goal, Tuley could have found the net but screwed his effort off target from Danny Little's pass and Shaun Malyon was desperately unlucky wide a header that drifted wide of the far post from Bond's free kick. 

However, with seconds remaining Hamble looked to have earned themselves a replay when Musselwhite found himself with just Vines to beat but the Green shot stopper pulled off a great save with his legs.