Thursday 01st September 2005
The Kent Website
Supporting Kentish Football

Saturday 6th
November 2004
Go Travel Kent League Premier Division Cup
First Round
Julian Leigh reports from Greatness Park
Sevenoaks Town 5 Bryce 26
Wood 28
Draper 30
Constable 57,77
Sporting Bengal United 2 Hall 37
Gabriel 48 (Pen)

Sevenoaks thrash un-sporting Bengal

Sevenoaks Town progressed into the quarter-finals of the Kent League Cup with a comprehensive win at home to Sporting Bengal United - the first of four home fixtures this month - the others being league games against Beckenham Town, Deal Town, Sporting Bengal United and against Ramsgate in the quarter-final.

Both sides started well with the home side having slightly better of the early exchanges with Gary Wood and Richard Bryce working well on the flanks.

Sevenoaks opened the scoring in the 26th minute in a three goal salvo in a devastating four minute spell.

Ollie Miles superb cross to the far post found former Tonbridge Angels player Richard Bryce who out jumped his marker to head the ball across the goal and into the far corner of the net past Ian Brewster in the visitors goal.

With the home team buoyant, the second goal came very quickly after their first.  A pass across the edge of the penalty area by striker Andy Constable was rifled home by former Dover Athletic striker Gary Wood.

Then on the half hour mark the unpredictable Brad Draper beat Brewster with a low shot after poor marking by the visiting defence.

To their credit, Sporting Bengal didn't give up and battled hard to get back into the game with some of the tackling bordering on crude.  Referee Mr Carter, who came with a reputation of being a no-nonsense referee - showed a couple of yellow cards when maybe red would have been more appropriate.

The East Londoners' scored in the 36th minute when a ball across the penalty area found Ryan Hall who had ghosted behind the Sevenoaks' defence, shooting past Darren Smart.

Constable had a chance to wrap things up just before the break but he fired wide when well placed.

No sooner had the second half started the visitors were gifted a penalty kick by the referee as Jamie Muldowney - a recent signing from Egham Town - was attempting to control a difficult bouncing ball but it flew up and his hand.

Although it was a case of ball to hand rather than hand to ball, the referee deemed otherwise and awarded a spot kick which prolific Daniel Gabriel despatched past Smart.

As the tackles came thick and fast from the visiting players, Sim Johnson had to leave the pitch with a gashed shin to be replaced by Liam Spillane and Bryce was to follow soon after a result of a first half knock to his knee.

Sevenoaks wrapped up the victory with the fourth goal in the 57th minute when Constable rose at the far post unchallenged to powerfully head home Spilliane's corner.

The former Whitstable Town striker added the fifth goal with thirteen minutes left when he fired home from the edge of the penalty area past Brewster, which brought a light hearted end to a good display from John James' side.

Sevenoaks Town: Smart, Johnson (Spillane), Underdown, Muldowney, Miles, Wood, Ralph, Forster, Draper (Aldridge), Bryce (Clarke), Constable.  Subs: Hart, Balmer