Thursday 01st September 2005

Dickson the difference for below par Deres

Saturday 10th
September 2005
Kentish Observer League Thomas Hawes reports from Park View Road
Erith & Belvedere 2 Dickson 83,90
Sevenoaks Town 1 Waters 45

Erith & Belvedere celebrated their first victory in the Kentish Observer
League on Saturday despite a below par performance against Sevenoaks Town, writes Thomas Hawes.

It was the visiting side that started the better and the tall Oaks backline towered over Deres strike pairing of Chris Dickson and Anton Innocent to dominate the Aerial battle. Sevenoaks had the Deres pinned back inside their own half for virtually all of the opening ten minutes.

All at Park View Road thought that Sevenoaks had taken the lead when the ball was poked in from three yards, but the Deres blushes were saved by the assistant's flag.

A rare first half foray into the Sevenoaks half almost paid off for the Deres. Dave Fisher did excellently to keep the ball on the field before cutting the ball back to Chris Dickson who saw his shot from 6 yards out blocked by Sevenoaks shot-stopper Craig Clark.

The ball rolled back at a perfect pace to defender Tom Maycock who showed why he won't be challenging Chris Dickson for a forward position as he blasted the ball over the bar.

He was made to punish for missing this opportunity as in first half stoppage time, Sevenoaks took the lead after a goalmouth scramble was turned in by Dave Waters and this time their was no flag to save the Deres.

Sevenoaks thoroughly deserved their 1-0 lead at the interval.

The Deres performed better in the second half and the game evened out a lot. However, neither side looked like they would score or at least threaten to score and it looked as if Sevenoaks were going to coast to victory the game following a dull pattern.

And then up popped Chris Dickson.

With just seven minutes remaining, the Deres hitman latched onto the ball 40 yards out from goal. Dickson went on a dazzling run carving his way through a bemused Sevenoaks midfield. The skilful striker rifled a powerful shot from 25 yards out and he was still playing tricks with the ball even in mid-air as his shot swerved, dipped and thumped against the back of the net to equalise for the Deres.

Straight after the kick-off, the Deres nearly threw away the match as sloppy defender almost let Sevenoaks grab a winner.

However, it was not going to be Sevenoaks' day as with stoppage time looming Dickson once again waltzed his way through the Sevenoaks backline and even the away side's goalkeeper was skilled up by Dicko. Dickson made no mistake in side footing the ball into the empty net.

At full-time the Deres fans didn't know whether to be happy or disappointed.

A victory, yet what has to be the worst performance of the season so far all thanks to the trickery of a certain Dickson.