Thursday 01st September 2005

Rams reach final qualifying round of FA Cup

Saturday 8th
October 2005
FA Cup
Third Qualifying Round
Martin Able reports from
Southwood Stadium
Ramsgate 1 Ball 54
Walton & Hersham 0  

This season's Ryman new boys Ramsgate played host to former FA Amateur Cup winners Walton & Hersham on Saturday, and had revenge for the only other time the sides have met - when the visitors knocked Ramsgate out of the FA Trophy at Southwood in 1980, writes Martin Able.

The teams started at pace looking for an early goal, and in the opening minute a flick-on by Ollie Schulz reached Mark Munday, whose header brushed over the bar.

Within a minute, a good run by Walton’s Neil Lampton saw him put the ball through to Mark Nwokeji, but Danny Twyman got there first to clear the ball.

Both sides continued to press, and on 10 minutes the visitors were rewarded with a free kick, well taken by Lampton but Twyman punched it clear.

The best of the early efforts fell to Ramsgate’s Warren Schulz, whose 14th minute shot called for a great save from Nick Gindre in the visitors’ goal.

The Rams began to dominate the midfield and five minutes later some good build up play found Steffan Ball in a great position, but his shot was just over the bar.

As the half continued Nwokeji managed to make some useful runs forward for the visitors, but his crosses were either dealt with by the defence or intercepted by Twyman.  

The pressure on the Walton goal continued, mainly from great running by Ball, Shaun Welford and Stuart Vahid.

In the 31st minute Welford broke through, and Gindre had to come and concede a throw in to halt his progress. A quick throw by Welford found Ball inside the 6 yard box but, having done well to chest it down under pressure, his shot went over.

Three minutes later Gindre had to pull off another great save to deny the Rams, when Vahid’s overhead kick was heading goal-bound, and less than a minute later a shot from Munday skimmed the crossbar.

Lampton remained busy for the visitors, and three minutes later he managed to get past Michael Cassar and crossed from the corner to Scott Edgar, who put the ball wide.

As the half drew to a close, Ball began to open up the Walton defence with increasing frequency, beating two defenders in the 42nd minute to set up Warren Schulz, whose shot went wide, and again beating two defenders in the 45th minute, this time shooting himself but missing the target.

Gindre was called into action again in stoppage time, after Liam Morris found Vahid, who crossed to Welford whose shot was on target, but the ‘keeper managed to get to it.  

The second half continued in similar vein, and in the 52nd minute Ball appeared to be through clear on goal but was deemed to be offside. Following the restart the Rams regained possession, and this time Ball was brought down as he probed the defence. He made no mistake from the resulting free kick however, which he drilled into the corner of the net from 20 yards, giving Gindre no chance and the Rams the lead.

Shortly after another chance fell to Stuart Vahid when, after beating the defence his shot went just over.

On 64 minutes Nwokeji had an excellent chance to equalise, when he turned and fired within the box, but again Twyman had it covered. Two minutes later the visitors made their first change, introducing Gavin Cartwright for Gary Haylock.  

Walton & Hersham threw all their efforts into gaining an equaliser, but the home defence held firm.

In the 71st minute a long throw by Lee Allum found Jamie Reive at the near post, but Twyman managed to tip it over.

Three minutes later Ball worked himself into the area from the left wing and nearly doubled the lead, but his shot was blocked.

 Walton & Hersham then made another substitution, with Lee Riddell replacing Nwokeji, before changing Scott Edgar for Will Jenkins on 82 minutes.

Both teams came close as the game went into stoppage time, with a Welford cross which Warren Schulz headed against the upright.

The Rams nearly scored again from the restart, when a great cross by Vahid from the right found Welford’s head at the far post, which was going in but was deflected off the line by Grinde’s outstretched foot.

In the 5th minute of stoppage time Ramsgate made their only substitution, when Simon Pettit replaced Ball for the final three minutes of play.  

Ramsgate's defence - Ed Vahid and Ollie Schulz in particular - did a great job of keeping out the visitors while the work rate in midfield and up front epitomised what Jim Ward's side are all about.  

Referee Andy Legg also had an excellent match. Legg had no choice when he dismissed Jenkins in the 93rd minute for stamping on Twyman.  

The victory puts Ramsgate into the 4th Qualifying Round for the 3rd time, the previous occasions being in 1955 when the Rams beat Guildford City 3-2 at Southwood, and in 1969 when they were knocked out by Carshalton Athletic.  

This time, Southern Premier League outfit Cirencester Town are the visitors to Southwood Stadium on 22 October - just one win away from a place in the first round proper of the greatest cup competition in the world.


Ramsgate: Danny Twyman, Edd Vahid, Michael Cassar, Liam Morris , Ollie Schulz, Ben Laslett, Mark Munday, Warren Schulz, Shaun Welford, Steffan Ball (Simon Pettit 90), Stuart Vahid. Subs: David Cory, Mike Yianni, James Gregory, Shane Suter. 

Attendance: 301