Thursday 01st September 2005
Lordswood in a spot of bother
Ramsgate 2-1 Lordswood
Go Travel Kent League Premier Division
Saturday 27 September 2003
by Darrell Harman
A crowd of sixty-eight saw Ramsgate beat Lordswood by two goals to one at Southwood Stadium.
Lordswood, managed by Barry Zillwood, should have taken a fourth minute lead when a back pass to the Ramsgate goalkeeper saw his clearance find Michael Dodsworth and his twenty-five yard shot was saved by Danny Twyman.
Twyman was in action after 18 minutes when James Short received the ball in the penalty area controlled the ball and held off two Ramsgate defenders before setting up Mike Cunningham who was denied from six yards.
Ramsgate's first chance came after twenty minutes when Vinny Woolford was left unmarked inside the penalty area and headed over the crossbar.
Lordswood goalkeeper Paul Piggott saved from Mo Takalagoboshi who was left unmarked inside the penalty area.
John Ovard on the left, cut inside and was brought down by James Day for a 24th minute penalty.  Up stepped Takalagoboshi and the penalty was superbly saved by Piggott diving to his left but the assistant referee said that Piggot had moved off his line and the penalty had to be re-taken.
This time Takalagoboshi hit the penalty straight down the middle to score and Lordswood's Dean Woodland lost his cool and went over to the assistant referee, swore at him and was banished by the referee.
After the penalty incident, Lordswood's heads dropped and in the 39th minute the home side went 2-0 up when Ovard's twenty yard curling shot beat Piggott.
Lordswood took the game to their hosts in the second half and were unlucky not to take a point from the game.
Ramsgate's first chance of the second half came from a free kick into the area found Takalagoboshi but again his shot went over the bar.
Lordswood reduced the deficit in the 62nd minute when Sam Colyer on the right won a tackle and went forward.  His cross found James Short whose side foot volley from six yards beat Twyman.
Lordswood were now on a high and playing some good football but just could not find the way past the Ramsgate defence.
Ramsgate had a couple of chances to extend their lead but as the final whistle blew it was Ramsgate's players who were relieved.
Lordswood: Piggott, Johnson, Thorburn (Crust 45), Clements, Woodland, Colyer, Freeman, Cunningham, Short (Pearce 78), Day (Gissing 45), Dodsworth.  Subs: Weeks, Morrison