Thursday 01st September 2005 - The Kent Website - Supporting Kentish Football

Saturday 28 August 2004 FA Cup 
Extra Preliminary Round
Stephen McCartney reports from North Dane Way
Lordswood 1 Glen Barlow 60
Winchester City 4 Jamie Laidlaw 39
Ian Mancey 42
Mark Blake 45
Jamie Musslewhite 73

Champions cruise past Lordswood in FA Cup opener

WINCHESTER CITY cruised through into the Preliminary Round of this season's FA Cup, with a comfortable victory at Go Travel Kent League side Lordswood at North Dane Way.

Last season's FA Vase winners, after defeating Vase specialists AFC Sudbury 2-0 at St Andrews in the final, were well supported both vocally and in numbers, which helped the Medway outfit to their biggest gate of the season so far.

But a devastating spell in the last six minutes of the first half, where the visitors headed three goals, set them up for a trip to Ryman League Division One side Corinthian Casuals next Saturday.

With the Winchester City fans loudly banging their drum in the early stages, they were nearly stunned to silence as their goalkeeper Simon Arthur was forced to push Sean Hetterley's header around the foot of the near post in the opening minute of the game.

However, parity was almost restored after six minutes when a thunderous 25-yard drive from Winchester's Liam Green crashed against the angle of left post and crossbar.

Former Gravesend & Northfleet stopper Jake Slade was twice tested in as many moments but he was equal to Adam Rodger's 28-yard shot and a rasping effort from Green.

Ian Mancey twice went close to open the scoring, but his first effort, an overhead kick flew over, and his 28th minute header was comfortably saved  by the young Lordswood goalkeeper.

But once the Wessex Leaguers took the lead in the 39th minute, they didn't look back.

Mark Smith whipped in a free kick from the left hand side, which was headed across goal and Jamie Laidlaw headed home from close range.

Winchester increased their lead only three minutes later when Smith's shot was clawed away by Slade at the top of his near post but the ball dropped invitingly for Mancey, who accepted the gift presented to him, and headed into the net.

Winchester exploited Lordswood's weakness in the air, wrapping up the victory with their third goal, two minutes into stoppage time.

Skipper Matt Bicknell, who liked to get forward down the wing at every opportunity, delivered a free kick on the right by-line and Mark Blake's run towards the near post wasn't tracked and the big central defender powerfully headed home from 12-yards.

Lordswood boss Paul Piggott commented: "When you give away three sloppy goals like that in the space of six minutes, against a very good side, you are not going to get back into the game.

"But the boys battled on, they did  what was asked of them in the second half, and I was quite pleased with what we did."

Giant Lordswood midfielder Gary Peck sent an injury time header over the bar, and three minutes after the break, Andy Doerr struck a weak shot wide, as the visitors took their foot of the gas.

Stocky Wayne Barlow, Lordswood's assistant manager, wasted a free kick from just outside the penalty area, blasting high and wide of the right post.

Two minutes later, however,  Lordswood deservedly pulled a goal back on the hour mark.

Sam Colyer showed strength and composure fighting his way through and past Green and Toby Redwood, who were left behind, and Colyer played the ball inside to Doerr, whose ball picked out Glen Barlow on the left hand side of the penalty area, and he coolly fired low into the bottom right hand corner of the net.

Piggott added: "When sides go 3-0 up they try not to, but they switch off a little bit, and that's when, I thought, we captalised.

"We got our goal, it was a good goal, we have some good players who can knock the ball about, and a good finish from Glen (Barlow), and I was pleased with the way we responded."

Had Lordswood managed to pull a second goal back in a good ten minute spell, then we might have had an upset on the cards, but Winchester were able to increase their tempo and finished off their plucky Kent League opponents in the 73rd minute, and had more chances to run up a high score.

Substitute Jamie Musslewhite raced past the static Lordswood defence into the penalty area and coolly slotted home past an exposed Slade from eight yards out.

Both Winchester substitutes Stuart Cannie and Musslewhite had chances to increase the score in the final ten minutes.

Musslewhite's right flank cross picked out an unmarked Cannie, but he headed the ball down and wide when well placed.

The same player, then saw his 16-yard snap shot palmed around the post by Slade and then Musslewhite's struck a shot narrowly over. 

At the other end, Peck's 25-yard low drive forced Arthur to push the shot around the post.

Lordswood assistant manager, Wayne Barlow, admitted the difference in class was the telling point that finished their FA Cup campaign at the first hurdle.

Conceding three goals in the last six minutes of the first half, cost the Kent League side dear.

Barlow said: "It was very disappointing, we gifted them the three goals as well.  If you look at the first chance of the game it fell to a Lordswood player, and unfortunately that's probably the difference between the two sides, they were a class act, they can finish - we gave them three half chances really and they've taken them.

"Yes, it's disappointing, but that's the sort of level we were up against.

"I think it was a great experience for the youngsters to come in and play a tie in front of 134 people here - they can only get better from that."

Piggott admitted: "We were never going to win this cup, we are not going onto the third or fourth round, we know that, we are realistic, but a good day for the boys.

"They are learning, and they want to learn, so yes, now we can get back into the league and take that little bit of experience with us, and hopefully, do well."

Currently in tenth place in the Go Travel Kent League, Piggott will be making sure his players will reflect on their FA Cup defeat and remain upbeat.

He added: "I felt we have done allright in the league, we've given Thamesmead and VCD a good game, and we were unlucky not to get three points against Tunbridge Wells.

"It's very important now that we don't get too disheartened today, the players aren't, they are quite upbeat, but they know we've kept on battling and knocked the ball around, and we know we aren't going to play against sides like that every week!"

Lordswood: Jake Slade, Andy Skinner (Capt), Aaron Burrett, Ashley Russell, Richard Radbourne, Sam Colyer, Gary Peck, Wayne Barlow (Andy Freeman 80), Andy Doerr (Craig Allen 71), Sean Hetterley (Scott Bucklen 71), Glen Barlow.  Subs: Neil Crust, Lee Dengate

Winchester City: Simon Arthur, Shaun Dyke, Matt Bicknell (Capt), Toby Redwood, Mark Jones, Mark Blake (Dave Goss 77), Adam Rogers, Mark Smith, Ian Mancey (Stuart Cannie 59), Jamie Laidlaw (Jamie Musslewhite 59), Liam Green.  Subs: Kevin Brewster, Alex Hards (GK)

Referee: Mr S Scott (Crawley)
Assistants: Mr G Currie (Crawley) & Mr D Barnard (Horsham)

Attendance: 134