Thursday 01st September 2005

Lordswood have to settle for a point

Saturday 20th
August 2005
Kentish Observer League Darrell Harman reports from North Dane Way
Lordswood 1 Richards 43
Herne Bay 1 Harvey 32

Both sides warmed up to their home FA Cup ties next weekend with a 1-1 draw at North Dane Way, which sees both sides in the top six of the Kentish Observer League table, writes Darrell Harman.

The first shot in anger came after 19 minutes when Lordswood's Steve Sharp crossed low and Will Richards got in front of his marker but shot over.

Jason Lillis' visitors, however, took the lead after 32 minutes when Martin Collins fed the ball inside Andy Forster for Luke Harvey to run onto.  Once inside the area he slid the ball past the onrushing former Chatham Town goalkeeper Gavin Hopper.

Lordswood nearly equalised five minutes later when a Bay attack was cleared to Sean Hetterley inside his own half.  He ran forward before passing to Richards who saw Herne Bay goalkeeper, Jack Delo some 35-yards out but his shot went agonsingly wide of the post.

The home side got their reward in the 43rd minute, when Delo, trying to waste time, eventually passed the ball out to Owain Williams who miss controlled the ball and Andy Doerr pounced on the mistake, ran forward inside the area and his cross fell invitingly for Richards to nod in from two yards to score his first goal for the club.

Herne Bay started the second half well and after 51 minutes a long cross to the back past saw Sam Colyer just get a flick to it but the ball fell into the path of Nathan Eastwood who headed wide.

Lordswood nearly took the lead when Lee Jones' floated the ball out to Sean Hetterly on the left, and after beating the full-back, ran into the penalty area.  As he was about to shoot he was tackled but the loose ball came to Steve Sharp whose shot from 25 yards flew over.

Herne Bay thought they had taken the lead when substitute Marvin Button let fly from the edge of the area but a diving Hopper tipped the ball over the bar.

The game was now flowing from end to end and in the 68th minute Bob Chiverton's corner was met at the far post by Andy Forster but his header flew over. 

A minute later Harvey saw his shot saved at the second attempt by the Lordswood stopper.

With fourteen minutes left, the visitors knew it wasn't going to be their day when Shaun Brown's cross was met by Ronan O'Connor's header, which cannoned back off the crossbar from six yards.

Lordswood had a couple of late chances through Doerr, but had to settle for a point.

Lordswood: Hopper, Burrett, Sharp (Broad 75), Colyer, Hetterley, Forster, Chiverton, Crust, Doerr, Jones, Richards.  Subs: Hayfield, Almond, Phillips, Cunningham