Thursday 01st September 2005
Saturday 9th
April 2005
Go Travel Kent League
Premier Division
Robert Smith reports from Winch's Field
Herne Bay 1 Kedwell 90
Slade Green 0  

Kedwell leaves it late

WITH 94 minutes on the clock Slade Green looked to have ended Herne Bay’s Kent League title dream only to be sunk by a dramatic last gasp deflected free kick at Winch’s Field on Saturday.  

Green went into the game without skipper Tony Gallagher (work), however, they welcomed back Shaun Malyon having missed the previous nine games with a broken toe and Danny Little (suspension).  

For almost the entire first half Green were forced to defend as Bay took the game to their opponents.  Scott Lewis made a vital goal line clearance from Steve Lloyd after Sam Denly had squared Simon Brown’s corner while Mark Penny’s timely interception thwarted Danny Kedwell after Paul Vines had saved Richard Sinden’s goalbound shot when clean through on goal.  

As good was Green’s defending  the home side were guilty of two glaring misses as first Shaun Mitchell fired over with the goal at his mercy, and then the Kent League’s leading scorer Danny Kedwell then contrived to do the same with just keeper Paul Vines to beat.

It took Green a full 38 minutes before their first attack on the Bay goal.  Having picked up a Ryan Robinson throw, Dean Bowey weaved his way forward and following a challenge from a defender the ball fell invitingly for Robinson whose crisp 25 yard effort dipped narrowly over the bar.  

Moments later Dave Martin embarked on a glorious run down the left flank and although his break was curtailed the ball then fell into the path of Bowey whose opportunist strike was somehow tipped round the post at full stretch by Jack Delo.  

Having weathered the Herne Bay onslaught during the first half a different Green seemed to take to the pitch for the second period and it was now their turn to turn up the pressure gauge around the hour mark  

Scott Lewis produced a good break before laying the ball on for Bowey who in turn sprayed the ball wide to Dave Martin who fired over an open goal.  

An almost identical move then soon followed again when Bowey ceased upon a miscued pass to lay the ball on for Martin who again with just the keeper to beat failed to keep his shot on target.  

At the other end Dean Kearley blocked a dangerous cross cum shot from Kedwell and then Lloyd should have done better than head his free header over the bar from a well placed ball from Peter Jarvis.  

This missed chance looked to have signalled the end of Bay’s challenge to Ramsgate for the Kent League title that is until the 94th minute when following a foul by Mark Penny, Kedwell stepped up to blast his free kick against the thigh of Green defender Lee Barber into the back of the net.

Slade Green:  Vines, Lewis, Robinson, Barber, Kearley, Penny, Martin, Barrett, D.Little, Bowey, Malyon. Subs:  Upson, Miles, J.Little.