Thursday 01st September 2005

Robinson rescues point for Green

Saturday 13th
August 2005
Kentish Observer
Barry Feist reports from The Small Glen
Slade Green 1 Robinson 82
Greenwich Borough 1 Vines (OG) 42

Ryan Robinson scored with eight minutes remaining to save Green’s blushes after Keeper Paul Vines’ calamity just before half-time, writes Barry Feist.

As early as the first minute Slade Green had a free-kick when Mark Sabatino was fouled by Borough’s Neil Dowling, but the resulting kick was played straight into the hands of goalkeeper Michael Holden.

Tony Gallagher was busy in midfield and on 10 minutes he played a ball out wide to Mark Sabatino. Saboatino's header was intercepted by Boro’s right-back who played the ball down the line to Tom Riddle. Riddle tried to take on Lee Morgan but under great pressure from Morgan ended up running the ball out of play.

A spell of missed opportunities ensued when Green’s Robinson fired over from 20 yards after Gallagher had won the ball in midfield and Sabatino’s cross a minute later was only half cleared by Nicky Spear and former Erith Town striker, Glenn McTaggart miss-hit his shot well wide of the post.

A free-kick on 17 minutes for Greenwich was headed just over the bar by Tom Riddle. Four minutes later McTaggart had another opportunity, but with only the keeper to beat his lob sailed agonisingly over the bar.

The game began to flow from end to end but neither team we able to break the deadlock. Then four minutes before half-time, disaster struck.

Greenwich had a throw-in half way inside Green’s half, the long throw into the box looked like an easy take for keeper Paul Vines but the wet ball slipped through his hands and across the goal-line to gift Greenwich an undeserved lead.

Greenwich came out for the second half looking to extend their lead, but it was Green that enjoyed a greater percentage of the game.

Hanlon was booked for a foul on 54 minutes and 10 minutes later Borough’s Smith had his name added to the list when he brought down McTaggart.

On 70 minutes Borough nearly increased their lead but Mulroe was unable to direct his header into the goal.

A double substitution for Green on 76 minutes when Robert Browning and Danny Little replaced Hayrettin and Morgan respectively.

This change breathed new life into Green and when the busy Danny Little was fouled on the edge of the Borough box on 82 minutes Ryan Robinson stepped up to fire the free-kick straight at the wall. The rebound fell nicely for Robinson and he followed it up with a shinned shot which beat Holden at his near left hand post.

Weasle went close on 88 minutes but it was Borough that were holding on for the point by then.

Slade Green: Vines, Lewis, Sabatino, Gallagher, Morgan, Barber, Hayrettin, Robinson, McTaggart, Weir, Hanlon.  Subs: Little, Browning, Penny, Barrett