Thursday 01st September 2005

Borough's win moves them into second
Greenwich Borough 3-1 Slade Green
Go Travel Kent League Premier Division
Tuesday 28 October 2003
by Robert Smith

Green were not a patch on the side that had performed so admirably just three days earlier against Maidstone as they suffered a 3-1 reverse at Harrow Meadow on Tuesday night.

In all fairness Greenwich probably just about deserved their victory and under the stewardship of the popular Dave Ward they look to have a more than useful side who like The Green are pressing for a top six finish come the end of the season.

Green made a dream start taking a 3rd minute lead when Sam Prett's pass sent Paul McCarthy on a run down the wing before cutting in and unleashing an exquisite strike to the left of keeper Moliba Baker inside the near post.

Within 5 minutes Marcos Perona looked to have come back to haunt his former club when he got on the end of an Akim Falola centre only to see his effort crash against the cross-bar.

Paul Vines produced an outstanding save on 22 minutes when he went full stretch to thwart Matt Norris but the visitors soon bit back when Mark Barton's crossfound Dave Martin who under pressure from Wesley Cain saw his header bounce just the wrong side of the post.

Perona's clever play earned Boro a penalty on the half hour when he was tripped by Dave Martin but from the resulting spot kick Paul Vines guessed right and thwarted Wayne Burnett.

Burnett was again thwarted by Vines 6 minutes later following a probing cross from the impressive Falona, but there was little Vines could do to prevent Greenwich from drawing level 8 minutes before the break as Matt Norris applied the finish to a slick three man move.
The home side would then have took the lead if not for a superb acrobatic save from Vines to keep out Perona's powerful volley.
Green were almost gifted a goal on the stroke of half time. A slip by keeper Baker was seized upon by Tony Weir however Baker soon made amends quickly tracking back to clear the ball even then the danger was not cleared as the ball fell to Barton but unaware of the unmarked Sam Prett who was waiting in ascendance Burton turned the wrong way and the danger was gone.
With McCarthy forced to leave the game at the interval with a groin injury things went from bad to worse for The Green and with the second half just a minute old they found themselves behind when Damien Scammel's free kick was not
picked up and Mark Dudley's shot rebounded off the post into the net.

Falola would have increased the home side's lead if not for another fabulous stop by Vines on 50 minutes. A diabolical refereeing decision effectively killed off Green's challenge in the 66th minute. Dave Martin was adjudged to have fouled Scannell in the box a decision that not only left Martin baffled but also Scannell and from the penalty that followed Burnett this time sent Vines the wrong way wiping out memories of his earlier penalty that Vines had saved. 

Mark Sabatino twice carved out good openings for the visitors. A beautifully weighted ball down the left flank released Dave Martin who in turn whipped the ball into the heart of the box and following Sam Prett's side step, Weir was unable to capitalise as the ball fell towards him.

Sabatino then lofted a fine crossed ball towards the far post which in turn saw Dean Corrigan square the ball into the path of Prett only for keeper Baker to show great reflexes and scoop the ball off the line. Following his bad penalty decision the referee then incensed Green further by failing to act on two blatant elbows directed at Dave Martin and Tony Weir. The first of which saw Martin forced to leave the pitch with blood poring from his forehead and resulted in Physio Graham Barber being cautioned for plainly saying 'I can't believe you didn't see that'.

Green: Vines. Laiming, Sabatino, Barber, Upson, Collier, Martin, Barton (Corrigan), Prett, Weir, McCarthy (Malyon). Subs not used: Haskins, Dallon.