Thursday 01st September 2005

The Kent Website
Supporting Kentish Football



Monday 13th 
December 2004
Go Travel Kent League
Premier Division
Stephen McCartney reports from Erith Sports Stadium
Erith Town 1 Glen McTaggart 54
Herne Bay 2 Dave Masters 48
Simon Brown 60

Lets show character to stay top

HERNE BAY returned to the summit of the Go Travel Kent League with victory at the Erith Sports Stadium tonight and manager Jason Lillis has told his players to show character to stay there.

Dave Masters' strike three minutes after the break gave the coastal visitors a deserved lead before Dockers striker Glenn McTaggart - who rejected a move to Southern League neighbours Erith & Belvedere last month - netted his 16th goal of the campaign six minutes later.

The visitors, however, sealed the win on the hour through Simon Brown's 20-yarder to leap frog over Ramsgate.

Lillis said: "I just think it's down to the lads now to show a bit of character and keep picking up the points.

"Overall, if you look at the chances and possession we had, I think we should have won."

The former Gills player gave credit to the home side - whose players pay to play Kent League football.

"They aren't a bad outfit - not many teams will come here and win.

"I went to see them against Maidstone on Saturday and they played well.

"All credit to whoever does the pitch here, and the staff, it's lovely - I feel like putting my boots back on!"

Star of the show was striker Danny Kedwell, but although Lillis praised the former Lordswood and Maidstone United forward, he insisted his side is not just a one-man team.

"He's a very good player, he's stayed loyal to me and I'm staying loyal to him with the different things we're doing and I think we've got a player.

"However, it's not all about Danny Kedwell.  I think all round the park we've got quite a solid base."

Herne Bay entertain Hythe Town on Saturday, looking to consolidate their place at the top of the table.

"It's very close, but we just have to keep using our points up, winning away and pick up points," added Lillis.

"We'll see where we are in February."

Dejected Dockers boss Willie O'Sullivan added: "A game we should have got something out off quite easily. 

"I'm a bit disappointed.

"Herne Bay go top, all credit to them.

"They set their stall out - they had two chances, they scored two.

"You have to give credit where it's due."

O'Sullivan, however, saw his already depleted squad further hit with a hamstring injury to eight-goal striker Matt Russell.

Terry Cohen was forced off at the break due to concussion and Michael Scowen didn't make it too the ground on time.

Therefore, the Dockers boss was forced to field five seventeen-year-old's.

Erith Town: Chris Arnold, Aran Hayrettin, Scott Edwards, Paul Jones, Paul Hanlon (Capt), Paul Voiter, Terry Cohen (George Belchamber 46), Mark Hynes (Wayne Grizzle 73), Glenn Mctaggart, Steve Shippey, Jamie Carter (Darren Nash 70). Sub: Adam Salih

Herne Bay: Jack Delo, Richard Styles (Dave Soutan 68), Owain Williams, Wes Hammond,
Steven Lloyd, Sam Denly, Simon Brown, Danny Kedwell, Dave Masters (Martin Defed 90), Rowan O'Conner (Capt), Nathan Eastwood (Imran Englesfield 86). Sub: Jon Warden

Attendance: 52
Referee: Ian Fissenden (Gravesend)
Assistants: Anthony Rawlings (Orpington) & Ray Thomson (Dartford)