Thursday 01st September 2005
The Kent Website
Supporting Kentish Football

Monday 24th
January 2005
Go Travel Kent League
Premier Division
Stephen McCartney reports from Erith Sports Stadium
Erith Town 2 Matt Russell 1,6
Tunbridge Wells 0  

Wells blasted for showing no passion

THE Tunbridge Wells management team blasted their players lack of passion after they suffered their second Go Travel Kent League defeat in three days at the Erith Sports Stadium tonight.

After losing 2-0 at league leaders Herne Bay on Saturday they suffered the same result to a side second from bottom in the table, denting their title hopes in the process.

Their Herne Bay hangover saw the home side race into a 2-0 lead after only six minutes tonight with striker Matt Russell firing low into the bottom far corner of Matt Bromby's net after only 37 seconds and he added his tenth goal of the season after six minutes slotting home after the Wells goalkeeper had parried a shot.

Shell-shocked Tunbridge Wells, however, were reduced to hitting three long range shots into the grateful arms of Erith goalkeeper Chris Arnold in the opening half an hour through Ben Hilden, Bradley Mortimer and Lee Porter.

In fact, the closest the visitors came was in the 17th minute when Aaron O'Leary's cut back a corner to an unmarked Porter whose shot from 30-yards clipped the top of the crossbar.

Eleven minutes before the interval the woodwork denied Tunbridge Wells again.  Porter played in Dave Hassett and as the goalkeeper came rushing off his line, the former Sittingbourne striker clipped the near post from an acute angle.

Arnold, however, made a fine save on the stroke of half time from O'Leary's long range shot.  Back peddling, the goalkeeper did magnificently well to tip the ball over his crossbar.

A sleet shower fell down at the interval and soaked the 72 fans in the opening exchanges of the second half.

In was Erith's turn to hit the woodwork in the 53rd minute through James Carter, whose shot beat Bromby but came back down off the underside of the crossbar.

The home side - who travel to Herne Bay on Saturday - finished the game by creating some good chances to increase their lead through 16-year-old George Belchamber, Paul Voiter and former Dartford striker Wayne Grizzle.

Tunbridge Wells manager and coach Martin Telford, however, questioned their players pride as they sunk to their fourth league defeat of a promotion chasing season.

Scotsman Telford fumed: "The point of the matter is, they were absolutely terrible.

"They were absolutely disgusting, they were, without a doubt, no credit to this club.

"Their performance tonight was absolutely terrible.

"Believe me, and believe Kevin, they are going to suffer for this," he promised.

Metcalf added: "I am trying to look for words.  Two bad results - all teams go through a bad spell.

"The players showed no passion and no pride and as Martin said, a disgrace to the club as far as I'm concerned."

The fuming management team revealed they will sit down together at training on Thursday evening and keep their punishments in house ahead of Saturday's game against Greenwich Borough at Culverden Stadium.

"I shall sit down with Martin and Dave Rice and we will look at it on Thursday night," added Metcalf."

The former Canterbury City and Tenterden Town boss, however, admitted he hasn't conceded the title race but added: "It's a big ask, but I will never give in.  It's up to the players now.

"They should be fit enough (to play two games in three days) and they should be ready.  If we are going up a stage they will have to play twice a week, whether it's a Monday, Tuesday or a Wednesday night.

"We were never in the game, after conceeding two sloppy goals early in the game.  Erith were in our face all the time, and credit to them they won fair and square.

"We weren't at the races, it's so upsetting - it was our worse performances of the season."

Erith Town: Chris Arnold, Aran Heyrettin (Stephen Johns 77), Scott Edwards, Paul Johns, Steve Smith, Paul Voiter, James Carter, Paul Hanlon (Capt), Wayne Grizzle, Matt Russell, George Belchamber. Subs: Mark Hynes, Adem Salih, Steve Shippey, Darren Nash

Tunbridge Wells: Matt Bromby, Martin Anderson, Ben Hilden, Simon Joynes (Capt), Aaron O'Leary, Luke Williams (Paul Hallett 61), Bradley Mortimer, Steve Ward, Lee Porter, Dave Hassett, Mike Ward (Daniel Barham 61). Subs: Gavin Williams, Alex Rich, Dean Walker

Attendance: 72
Referee: Andy Carter (Ramsgate)
Assistants: Ray Thomson (Dartford) Keith Challenger (Dartford)

Please credit this report to Stephen McCartney -