Thursday 01st September 2005

Lordswood enjoy their encounters with Dockers


Saturday 13th
August 2005
Kentish Observer
Darrell Harman reports from Erith Sports Stadium
Erith Town 2 Garland 61
Radbourne 66
Lordswood 4 Hetterley 3
Forster 33
Jones 40
Doerr 75 (pen)

Lordswood got their season off to a great start with a well earned victory at Erith Town on Saturday, writes Darrell Harman.

This was the Medway side's thirteenth victory over the Dockers in league encounters and the visiting team included five players making their debits for the club.

The game was only three minutes old when debutant Bob Chiverton slid the ball inside the full back for Sean Hetterley to race onto and his low cross found Andy Doerr.

His first time shot was saved by Erith Town goalkeeper, Chris Colleally but came back out to Hetterley who reacted the quickest and fired home.

Erith almost equalised when a short corner to former Greenwich Borough full-back Danny Tipple on the right and his cross evaded everyone and went just past the post.

Lordswood went close again when Chiverton's corner was met by fellow debutant Will Richards but his header was headed off the line.

In a rare attack from the home side in the 18th minute, Robert Fraser crossed to the far post for James Horton but his header was easily saved by former Chatham Town goalkeeper, Gavin Hopper.

On the half hour mark, Lordswood almost doubled their lead thanks to another Chiverton corner.  Andy Doerr's snap shot was saved by the goalkeeper but three minutes later they eventually doubled their lead when another Chiverton corner found Andy Forster on his own and his header from eight yards flew into the net.

Lordswood went 3-0 up in the 40th minute when Forster's free kick was met by Lee Jones' header from close range to scorer on his debut.

The second half started with it raining hard and the wind in the home side's favour and the Lordswood management had told their players that the home side would came at them hell for leather to play for pride.

And after 61 minutes they pulled a goal back when Peter Garland lobbed Hopper from 15 yards (the goalkeeper was only two yards off the line at the time) after the visiting side failed to clear their lines.

Erith pulled another goal back in the 66th minute when Garland and Matt Fagan combined and the latter reached the by-line and his low cross was deflected into the path of former Lordswood player, Richard Radbourne who shot home from six yards.

Lordswood's nerves showed for the next ten minutes as they knew they could be throwing away points but in the 77th minute Will Richards raced into the area and was tripped.

After the referee spoke to a few Erith players, up stepped Doerr and his effort just left of centre beat the goalkeeper.

It was a deserved opening day win for Paul Piggot's side.

Lordswood: Gavin Hopper, Aaron Burrett, Ashley Russell, Sam Colyer, Sean Hetterley, Andy Forster, Bob Chiverton, Ray Broad (Steve Sharp 75), Andy Doerr, Lee Jones, Will Richards.  Subs: Neil Crust, Warren Phillips, Charlie Almond, John Gissing