Thursday 01st September 2005
Kempster's double breaks Tunbridge Wells hearts
Cray Wanderers 2-1 Tunbridge Wells
Go Travel Kent League Premier Division Cup
Saturday 27 December 2003
Tunbridge Wells can take credit from their performance against defending cup holders Cray Wanderers at The Clive Christian Stadium in Hayes Lane on Saturday.
But had Cray taken their many chances then the victory would have been much greater, and the Culverden Stadium strugglers must be looking to improve their league position in 2004 if they continue to play with heart like they did at Hayes Lane.
Early pressure from the home side would have suggested they would clock up a high score as Jamie Kempster blasted over when well placed after only six minutes.
Good approach play from the visitors carved up their first chance after 14 minutes but Lee Sturgeon fired wide of the right upright from inside the D.
Tunbridge Wells goalkeeper, Matt Bromby was forced into action saving Kempster's shot and a fierce shot from Richard Dimmock from outside the penalty area.  Sandwiched in-between was Sam Wood crashing a shot against the side netting.
But Bromby was given no chance from Kempster's rocket shot that gave Cray Wanderers a 23rd minute lead.
Ross Lover must be given the credit for a run across the edge of the penalty area, and Kempster received the ball from the left and from just outside the D his powerful shot crashed into the roof of the net.
Moments later Kempster tried his luck again, but the former Maidstone United player volleyed wide of the left upright.
Benji Agana had twice given the hosts warning shots, his first effort straight at Simmons before his second effort was drilled wide of the right post from the edge of the D.
Bromby made a fine save palming Kempster's 25 yard shot over the crossbar before Sam Wood clipped the top of the bar from 30 yards before half time.
Sturgeon's corner kick was headed towards goal by Matt Tompkins but Simmons saved comfortably.
Both goalkeepers were tested within two minutes of the re-start.  Bromby dived low to his left to save Dimmock's dragged shot before Simmons had to dive to keep out Sturgeon's long rage effort.
Tunbridge Wells equalised after 51 minutes and their front two combined well.  Agana headed the ball into Sturgeon's path.  Simmons came off his line but the striker took the ball past him to roll the ball into an empty net to shock the league leaders.
Agana once again tested Simmons with a long range shot before Ricky Bennett crashed a powerful shot that struck the visiting goalkeeper's chest just before the hour.
Wood's right footed strike on the visitors goal was pushed wide by Bromby.
Tunbridge Wells' goalkeeper Bromby then launched a clearance which was clipped by Agana into Sturgeon's path.  He evaded the challenge outside the penalty area but the shot lacked conviction going wide twenty yards from goal.
Tunbridge Wells grew in confidence and Agana once again tested Simmons following a surging run with the ball down the right flank before shooting at the Cray goalkeeper.
Dimmock's diving header was off target before the home side threw attack after attack at the Wells in the closing minutes of the game.
Wood's fierce shot gave Bromby problems, but the goalkeeper who was going the wrong way, quickly changed direction to block the difficult shot.
Cray were rewarded with the winning goal with only three minutes left on the clock.  Facing Bromby on a one-on-one Kempster drilled home the winner past the goalkeeper into the bottom far corner of the net and gave the Wands a quarter-final trip to Erith Town.
Simmons denied the visitors late in the game, pushing over a fierce shot from the edge of the penalty area.
Cray Wanderers:  Micky Simmons, Andy Silk, Ian Rawlings (Capt), Danny Whelan, John Mayall, Ross Lover, Adam Heaslewood (James Taylor 74), Jamie Kempster, Richard Dimmock, Ricky Bennett (Jamie Wood 74), Sam Wood (Paul Dimmock 81).  Subs: David Gray, Danny Evans
Tunbridge Wells:  Matt Bromby, Scott McLeod, Les Cox (Capt), Matt Tompkins, Ricky Underdown, Lee Skinner, Lee Dawes, Lee Sturgeon, Benji Agana, Steve Waite, Danny McGahan (Simon Bragg 61).  Subs: Shaun Ellis, Chris Nixon, Danny Waite
Attendance: 112
Referee: Mr Paul Kelly
Assistants: Steve Haines & Bob Edmunds