Thursday 01st September 2005
Kempster hits hat-trick as Cray cruise to victory
Cray Wanderers  5-0  Pagham
FA Cup Preliminary Round
Sunday 31 August 2003
by Stephen McCartney -
Cray Wanderers manager, Ian Jenkins praised hat-trick hero Jamie Kempster as the Go Travel Kent League double winners cruised to an very 5-0 victory over a poor Pagham side.
The score might have been 5-0 to the magic Wands but it should have been at least 10-0 had Jenkins side took their many chances.
Speaking after the game, Jenkins said:  "I thought Pagham weren't a bad side in the first ten minutes.  I thought we played well today and we could have scored a few more goals.
"Jamie Kempster stood out for me today.  I know he scored a hat-trick but he was fantastic.  He was everywhere, had a go, and pushed the team on and on.  He was rewarded by his play with three brilliant goals.  Although he has been fantastic all season, today was the best he has played."
Pagham almost took a first minute lead when Bryn Hauxwell blazed over Simmons goal after he pounced on a loose ball after David Gray headed out a cross from Dave Spiller.
They were then outplayed, out passed by a very talented and skilful Cray Wanderers side for the remainder of the game.
Gray cut inside, at the other end, in the 8th minute but his left footed shot went over Wes Hallet's crossbar.
Cray had appeals for a penalty turned down when man of the match, Kempster was fouled inside the penalty box by stocky goalkeeper Hallet.
It took Cray Wanderers 24 minutes to take the lead, and from that moment, they never looked back!
Wanderers skipper, Ian Rawlings delivered a right footed free kick high into Pagham's penalty area.  Gray headed the ball across and Jamie Kempster's well struck shot crashed off the underside of the crossbar before crossing the line.
Dereck Chester headed wide of Simmons goal after 34 minutes in a rare Pagham attack on goal.
More chances came Cray's way, with left back Danny Evans looping a shot wide of the far post; Ricky Bennett heading wide following a cross from talented youngster Paul Dimmock and Gray heading over from another perfect cross from right midfielder Dimmock.
Cray took advantage of their attacking play by scoring the second goal on the stroke of half-time.  Jamie Wood set up Kempster who coolly despatched the ball into the net to Hallet's right.
Simmons was called into action, making a brave save as Hauxwell went in with studs showing, as the Wands goalkeeper got down low saving Speller's low whipped in cross from the right.
Cray increased their lead after 52 minutes.  Dimmock whipped in a free kick and Kempster's glancing header found the net via the left upright to score a well-deserved hat-trick.
Cray added to the score-line just three minutes later when Gray won the ball inside his own half and played a delightful long ball down the right flank.  Jamie Wood cut inside and played a cutting pass for Ricky Bennett who rolled the ball into an unguarded net.
With the score-line 4-0 to Cray the floodgates opened and the Wands were able to play brilliant passing football.
Kempster's shot deflected over, Gray headed wide of the left post following another excellent Dimmock cross.  Bennett almost scored his second but his shot went over before Wood's left foot shot was saved by a busy Hallett.
Cray skipper Ian Rawlings made a superb last ditch tackle on Lee Stevens inside the penalty area in a rare foray towards Simmons goal.
Cray midfielder Adam Heaslewood turned before shooting wide of the left stick after 66 minutes and shot reigned in from Dimmock, who was denied as Hallett pushed his eight yard shot over the bar and Gray, whose shot went wide following a corner kick.
Heaslwood's 73rd minute free kick came off the wall but fell nicely for Hallett before Stuart Cambell shot over Cray's goal from inside the penalty area moments later.
Jamie Wood scored Cray's fifth goal with ten minutes left on the clock, when he shot across Hallett and low into the bottom far corner of the net.
Substitute Ross Lover dragged a shot narrowly wide of the left post, and Simmons was tested in the dying minutes when he saved at the second attempt a drive from Stevens after a rare mix-up in the Cray defence.
Cambell shot narrowly wide for Pagham in the final minute following a good move by the visitors but Cray were too good for them and should have won more than the 5-0 scoreline.
Cray Wanderers meet Sandhurst Town at Hayes Lane on 13th September in the first qualifying round.  After beating Beckenham Town in the previous round, they better be prepared to face a team currently on fire!
Cray Wanderers:  Micky Simmons, Andy Silk, Ian Rawlings (Capt), David Gray (Danny Whelan 60), Danny Evans, James Taylor (Sam Wood 79) Adam Heaslewood, Jamie Kempster (Star Man), Jamie Wood, Ricky Bennett (Ross Lover 60), Paul Dimmock.  Subs:  Stuart Watts, Mark Dudley
Pagham:  Wes Hallett, James Mandry, Robin Josephs (Capt), Brett Forden, Dave Ward, Dave Speller (Jason Broomwall 66), Lee Stevens, Dereck Chester, Kane Evans (Darren Akmenkalns 66), Stuart Cambell, Bryn Hauxwell.  Subs: Louis Haga-Hammond, Neil Topley, James Heller
Attendance:  140
Referee:  Mr G Mays (Croydon) Assistant:  Mr R Edmunds and Mr S Finnigan