Thursday 01st September 2005
Cray's adventure for glory continues
Cray Wanderers 6-0 Chessington & Hook United
FA Vase Second Round
by Stephen McCartney
Cray Wanderers FA Vase adventure continues following a convincing 6-0 victory over Combined Counties League fifth placed side Chessington & Hook United at The Clive Christian Stadium in Hayes Lane.
The pitch was passed fit by referee Mr S Daley during several inspections before the game, and even Cray chairman Gary Hillman was forking the pitch during the half time interval, with his side 3-0 up.
The Kent League leaders look unstoppable at present, and Jamie Wood had two chances in the opening nine minutes of the game when his first attempt clipped the crossbar before his left footed shot from seventeen yards was deflected wide by a defender.
Chessington's Steve Goddard had a couple of openings in as many minutes when he flashed a shot across the face of goal before Daniel Martin chested the ball into his path and Goddard fired inches wide of the left upright.
Chessington were to pay for those missed chances as Cray Wanderers opened the scoring after fourteen minutes.
Facing a four man wall, Adam Heaslewood bent the ball around the left of the wall finding the back of the net with visiting goalkeeper Andy Wyne rooted to the spot.
Ten minutes later, Darren Smith slid in to try to block Danny Evans shot from 25 yards but the shot bounced wide before Wood missed a great chance four minutes later when he fired over the crossbar from close range.
Cray doubled their lead after 32 minutes when Ricky Bennett powerfully headed Paul Dimmock's cross from the right into the back of the net from close range.
The pitch conditions helped the home side to score their third goal seven minutes later.  A back pass was held up a puddle inside the penalty area and goalkeeper Wyne's clearance was charged down by Ricky Bennett, who gambled, and his efforts were rewarded when he easily took the ball around the goalkeeper to slot home into an empty net.
Wood clipped a left footed shot wide of the left upright from 20 yards as another chance came Cray's way moments before the break.
Heaslewood fired home his second free kick of the game, after 52 minutes, from just outside the penalty area, to the left of the D to steamroll the Kent League double winners to a 4-0 lead.
Chessington were awarded a free kick two minutes later but Darren Everett fired against the wall, and from the rebound Micky Simmons caught the ball above his lead on the goal line.
Jamie Kempster ran at the visiting defence and almost found the back of the net from 25 yards on the hour, but his shot was deflected before going narrowly over the bar finding the roof of the net.
Former Bromley and Crawley Town striker Matt Woolf replaced two-goal hero Bennett after 62 minutes, and he made an immediate impact on the game.
His run down the left channel was crossed into the penalty area and Wood's diving header found the back of the net.
What was refreshing about Cray was their attacking play, and as Wood gave his side a 5-0 lead, there were three of his team-mates inside the Chessington penalty area.
When they celebrated their goals all their outfield players celebrated with the goalscorer, to show their real team spirit and character.
Simmons blocked Simon Bochenski's low shot from six yards and central defender David Gray cleared the ball narrowly wide of the foot of the right upright, before Cray almost scored again through Wood and Healeswood, as his free kick crashed into the side netting, to deny him a hat-trick of goal from free kicks.
Chessington substitute Alan Wood had a couple of chances in the space of three minutes.  His first shot brought a fine save from Simmons who dived to his left to save before his second chance, a hooked shot, went well wide of the right post after 77 minutes.
The sixth goal came with four minutes remaining.  Woolf received the ball, weaved his way past two defenders before chipping Wyne to wrap up another Cray victory.
Ian Jenkins side have now only lost once in 22 games, and that was in the FA Cup second qualifying round when they lost 1-0 at Ryman League Premier Division side Basingstoke Town.
Former Maidstone United star Jamie Kempster is Cray's leading goalscorer with 18 goals, Ricky Bennett (17) with Adam Heaslewood and Jamie Wood both scoring 10 goals, as Cray have now scored an amazing 78 goals in all competitions this season.
Cray Wanderers:  Micky Simmons, Andy Silk, Ian Rawlings, David Gray, Danny Evans, John Mayall (James Taylor 45), Adam Heaslewood, Jamie Kempster, Jamie Wood (Phil Turner 72), Ricky Bennett (Matt Woolf 62), Paul Dimmock.  Subs: Ross Lover, Danny Whelan
Chessington & Hook United: Andy Wyne, Wesley Field, Nick Bailey, Dominic Justice, Tommy Duffel, David Dow, Darren Smith (Simon Bochenski 60), Paul Keeley (Balford Brown 60), Daniel Martin (Alan Wood 46), Steve Goddard.  Subs: Martin Gange, Paul O'Sullivan
Attendance: 146
Referee: Mr S Daley
Assistants: Mr M Weaire and Mr P Townley