Thursday 01st September 2005

"Awesome" Beckenham tear Whitstable apart

Saturday 13th
August 2005
Kentish Observer 
Ian Muir reports from Eden Park Avenue
Beckenham Town 6 Vines 2,40,46,80
Martin 50
Sinclair 60
Whitstable Town 2 Seager 43 (pen)
Prett 75

There have been quite a few changes at Eden Park Avenue during the summer break but one thing has not changed and that is Paul Vines appetite for goals. It took him only two minutes to get on the score sheet on the opening day of the Kentish Observer League season, writes Ian Muir.
Beckenham Town paraded no fewer than nine new signings and cantered to a convincing victory putting six past strongly fancied Whitstable Town. 

The crowd were just getting to their seats when a fine pass from Kadi split the visitors defence for Vines to slot home. 

Beckenham quickly settled in to their game plan of moving and passing the ball on the slick playing surface, Adeniyi and Rose combining well in midfield. 

Whitstable fought back and showed glimpses of why they finished in third place last season and were rewarded with a penalty in the 43rd minute, which Marc Seager scored.

Three minutes later livewire Alex Tiesse’s clever turn set up Vines who smashed the ball into the top corner. The Visitors to their credit finished strongly going into the break.
A minute after the re-start Sinclair’s cross was met with a flying header from Vines who took his tally to three for the afternoon. Four minutes later Ryan Martin glided through the visitors defence to sweep the ball past the sprawling keeper. 

The home side continued to get into more threatening positions throughout the second period and got stronger as Whitstable looked very tired and it was no surprise when Sinclair drilled in Town’s fifth after 60 minutes.
The visitors were fortunate to score 15minutes before the end when Prett's deflected shot spun over the top of keeper Tofrey’s head.
Beckenham’s sixth goal was inevitable and it was once again Vines who delivered the goods scoring his fourth in the 80th minute to round off a professional performance from the young Beckenham Town side.
The game started with an emotional minute’s silence to respect former Town goalkeeper Ray Potter who passed away last week.

Whitstable Town manager, Matt Toms admitted after the game that Beckenham were "the best side we have faced since I have been a manager."

Steve Marshall added: "I would say that was the best side I have ever played against, and believe me in my time I have played some great sides, today they were awesome."

Rob Thomas added: "I have played since I was at school, through the Whitstable youth and now into the first team.  They are the best side I have ever played against, they were fantastic today."

"You see one touch football in training like they played today, but to see that in open play was fantastic," added Simon Hawley.

"As much as we hate losing, when you are beaten by a better side you have to hold your hands up.

"In my years at Kent Premier League level, I have never seen a side play better than that (even quality sides from much higher levels).

"Beckenham were very special today and teams who do not know these players, that means every side in the Kent League are in for a big shock.

"If they can keep the same side together, maybe they can win the league.  Just maybe we were the unlucky side to play them when Fisher did not have a game." the Whitstable coach told their website www.whitstabletownfc.co.uk

Beckenham Town:- Tofrey, Sinclair, Daniels, Adeniyi, Forbes (Capt.), Hudson, Martin, Vines, Kadi, Tiesse, Rose.  Subs: Hubbard, Morris, Johnson. Green, Stewart.