Thursday 01st September 2005
The Kent Website
Supporting Kentish Football

Tuesday 7th
December 2004
Go Travel Kent League
Premier Division
Ian Muir reports from Eden Park Avenue
Beckenham Town 1 Wood 55
Greenwich Borough 2 Mathews 20, 74

Mistakes cost Beckenham dear

Beckenham Town's nine match unbeaten run came to an end at Eden Park Avenue on Tuesday night when new-look Greenwich Borough came to spoil the party.

Beckenham were quick to settle down and in the first few minutes both sides were fighting to find midfield supremacy.

After ten minutes chances started to be created by the home side and a powerful header from Mario Celaire was brilliantly saved by Borough's goalkeeper.

Greenwich immediately responded by hitting the woodwork, then it was back down the other end and Adam Heaslewood got involved in the action hitting a fierce drive from just outside the box that was tipped over the bar.

From the resulting corner Town hit the bar to the groans of the home crowd.

The Borough goalkeeper was called into action a few minutes later when a goal bound header from Nathan Paul was well saved.

This was a good period for the home side but the pendulum swung once more and Greenwich scored after 20 minutes with everyone looking to the assistant referee to raise his flag for off-side.

Ten minutes later a dipping drive was well saved by Hopper and just before the break Greenwich hit the crossbar.

At the half time whistle the match officials were surrounded by disputing Beckenham players.

Beckenham's manager Kevin Sugrue was so incensed he did not go into the changing room at the break but said: "I was furious and I needed Jason (Taylor) to focus on the next 45 minutes."

The second half saw both sides exchanging the right to be on top and at this stage it would have been hard to predict the final outcome of the game.

Beckenham pulled a goal back after 55 minutes when the quick feet and great determination from Lewis Wood made a goal out of nothing.

However, the visitors were quick to respond and moved the ball around confidently and despite their efforts the home side could not keep hold of the ball in the middle of the park.

Greenwich began to get on top, with their very industrious front pair combining well.

Disaster struck for Beckenham after 75 minutes when they failed to gain some advantage and took a quick free kick on the edge of their area, the short ball failing into the path of a Borough man  who burst forward and drew the keeper before unselfishly squaring the ball for a simple tap in for Mathews to score his second.

Becks responded and pushed Celair forward in hope of salvaging a point, chances did follow but there was little purchase.

All hopes of an equaliser began to fade when defender Wheatherhead was sent off for a second bookable offence.

Jason Taylor responded after the game "It was always going to be a tough game, and after 3 games in 7 days we began to look a bit jaded.

"We were sweating on some injured players before the match and had to pull Mario Celaire out of the back four to play left midfield as both Darren (Hall) and Asher (Edwards) were injured.

"We had a couple of bench of players who weren┬╣t match-fit.

"I don't like to make excuses because it is how you are on the day that counts.

" I am very disappointed with the result as I feel we were good for a point. Most goals in football happen from mistakes and we have made good profit from our opponents mistakes in the past.

"Their winner was from one of our errors and it seems we have not learned enough from them."

Taylor, however, refused to comment on the disputed goal.