Sunday 07th November 2004

The Kent Website
Supporting Kentish Football

Hythe spot on as Beckenham's shoot-out misery continues

HYTHE TOWN manager Paul Fisk was pleased his side bounced back from their 2-1 loss at home to Lordswood to progress into the last eight of the Go Travel Kent League Premier Division Cup on Saturday, writes Stephen McCartney.

They defeated Beckenham Town 3-1 in a penalty shoot out after both sides couldn't break the deadlock after 120 minutes of football at Eden Park Avenue.

Although Farrell Fox missed their third spot kick, Dan Fisk, Roy Godden and Roy Guilver beat Gary Hopper from the spot to pile more penalty shoot out heartbreak for Beckenham, who have now failed from nine out of ten shoot outs.

The game was held up due to a floodlight failure ten minutes from the end of normal time and the players were taken off the pitch by the referee for a total of fifteen minutes whilst the necessary repairs were carried out.

By the time extra time had finished, the quarter-final draw had already been made, and Fisk was told who they would face in the next round.  However, in order to keep the pressure of his players, the Hythe boss kept the news away from them until the victory was sealed.

Fisk said: "One of the directors came running up to tell me we've got Maidstone in the next round and to tell the players before they took their penalties, which I didn't do.

"They didn't need any pressure so I didn't tell them we would have Maidstone at home."

"Everyone keeps on about us each week trying to bounce back in games and we have managed to bounce back.

"What we need is consistency but I was pleased and proud of the players yesterday.  They gave it everything and deserved to win, because we were the team in the second half and in extra time trying to win the game." 

Hythe, sitting in second place, travel to Ramsgate, one place and one point below them in the Go Travel Kent League game of the day next Saturday, and Fisk is anticipating a tough game.

He added: "Ramsgate are one of the top sides and we are going there to try and get something - we will be pleased if we get a draw."

However, Roy Godden (family commitments) and Mark Pollard (ankle) won't be taking to the turf against the Rams.

Jason Taylor, assistant manager at Beckenham Town, however, admitted he was happy with his side's performance after losing 2-0 to leaders Whistable Town last week.

The game was a typical cup-tie between two very good sides and the home side were clearly on top.  Once again Beckenham couldn't captalise on their dominance by finding the net.

When they did, Beaszant was judged to be offside and the goal didn't stand.  He did, however, look the man most likely to win the battle.

The game got off to a flying start with both sides pressing for the early goal.  After six minutes the home side lost centre back Russell Kirkby with a knee injury.  He was replaced by Dave Weatherhead, who was playing his first game after coming back from injury.

The temperature of the game was then raised after a innocuous Hythe foul provoked several players from both sides into pushing and shoving exchanges in the centre of the field.

Beckenham skipper Martin West was simply trying to calm the situation down, but in doing so found himself in the referee's notebook to the bemusement of players from both sides.

Becks' Nathan Paul put in a good solid man of the match performance and linked up well with Flaherty on the wing.

With a few minutes to go of extra time a good chance by West was met with a great save by the Hythe goalkeeper who had been kept very busy all afternoon.

Taylor said:  "That was a good performance.  As bad as we were last Saturday, I thought we were as good against Hythe this afternoon.

"We were solid at the back, strong, mobile and passed the ball well.

"A lot of the lads felt they had a point to prove after the way we played on Saturday.

"However, we may need to break the bank to get a striker who can put some of our chances away, but at least we are creating chances.

"We have to be patient and work hard at our game, we have a big squad and we have very good players in our second team.

"Today, our midfielders Vella, Celaire and Heaslewood stuck to the task of closing the opposition down quickly. 

"The game should have been won in normal time, this was a competition that we would have liked to win.  Good luck to Hythe in the next round."

Beckenham make the short trip to Sevenoaks Town in the Kent League next Saturday, where former coach Gary Davies is part of the coaching team at Greatness Park.

Premier Division Cup Draw
Hythe Town v Maidstone United
Herne Bay v Tunbridge Wells
Sevenoaks Town v Ramsgate
Slade Green v Thamesmead Town