Thursday 01st September 2005

We're going to get better, warns Beckenham boss Rose

Beckenham Town's player-manager Gavin Rose always seems to exude a quiet air of a man going about his business in a relaxed manner, reports www.beckenhamtownfc.co.uk

He was in reflected mood about Monday's 9-0 win over local rivals Sevenoaks Town and the matches coming up, at Deal Town on Saturday and their next home game against VCD Athletic at Eden Park Avenue seven days later.

He told the club's website: "Monday's game against Sevenoaks was difficult especially in the second half when they were down to nine men, the sending off was unfortunate.

"Obviously there is a long way to go, I don't think we have been tested yet, although I don't think we have played at our best.

"The next two games are difficult.  Saturday's match at Deal Town will be hard.  Apart from losing their opening game they haven't done a lot wrong.

"I know our supporters fell the first big test is going to be against VCD Athletic on the 10th (September).  We will have to wait and see."

Errison Ahawan opened the scoring against Sevenoaks after just two minutes with a powerful header past former Beckenham Town goalkeeper Craig Clark.  One minute after the re-start, Tiesse broke free to slot home.

Sevenoaks, however, continued to threaten and had the ball in Beckenham's next only for it to be ruled off-side.

Beckenham started to get their passing game going and it was no way back for Gary Davies' side when Stewart blasted home to make it three after just 18 minutes.

The goal of the game came on the half hour when player-boss Rose jinked his way past four defenders and drew the keeper before rolling the ball home.

It was now a case of how many the home side could score before the break; to make matters worse for Sevenoaks, they had a player sent off and another three goals in eight minutes followed.  Morris netting two and followed by another from Stewart.

To their credit Sevenoaks kept the score-line down in the second period and played the entire second half with only nine players, having used all their permitted substitutes in the first half.

It took until the 60th minute before Beckenham scored again through former Lewes star, Junior Kadi, after receiving the ball on the edge of the penalty area, he picked his spot and curled the shot into the top corner past the outstretched keeper. 

Tiesse grabbed his second of the game ten minutes later.

Beckenham have played better this season and will most certainly play better as the season progresses.

As for Sevenoaks, they never gave up and showed great spirit combating Beckenham who have now taken their goal tally to 24 in only four games. 

And they even rested striker Paul "Charlie" Vines (7 goals already this season) and midfield powerhouse Peter Adeniyi - who signed from Lewes and has played for Kent sides Bromley (youth) and Erith Town earlier in his career.

Meanwhile, hosts Deal Town travel to Ryman League second division side Dorking next Saturday, 10th September, in the first qualifying round of the FA Cup.

The Kent side knocked out Sidley United in midweek, winning the replay 2-1 on home turf.

Dorking stunned Southern League Division One East side Dartford last Sunday, in their preliminary round tie, winning 2-1 at Stonebridge Road, with their winner coming in stoppage time.

It was Tony Burman's side first defeat of the season.

Deal Town v Beckenham Town
Kentish Observer League
Saturday 3rd September 2005
Kick Off 3:00pm
Deal Electrical Stadium, St Leonards Road, Deal