Thursday 01st September 2005




Saturday 26th
February 2005
Southern League
Division One East
Peter Pitts reports from Bourne Park
Sittingbourne 0  
Boreham Wood 5 Keepance 13
Black 26
Archer 28
Watters 56
Bangura 60

Wood you believe it!

SITTINGBOURNE suffered their heaviest defeat in the league for over three years in this game.

In addition to those on the injured list the Brickies were missing Bradley Spice who was suspended, and Kieran Marsh who is unavailable. This meant that Jon Neal was the only recognisable striker in the line up, and he is still not fully match fit following his injury lay off so goals were always going to be at a premium for the Brickies.

However, it certainly wasn't expected that the defence would so spectacularly capitulate in this game.

Boreham Wood took the initiative from the off and they almost snatched the lead after 6 minutes when Chris Bangura sprinted clear but he pushed the ball too far forward and Kevin Fewell easily gathered. 

Two minutes later Michael Black blasted a shot over the Brickies bar.

Boreham Wood seemed to be adapting to the slippery conditions much better than Sittingbourne whose players seemed to have problems keeping their feet.

Boreham Wood turned their superiority into a goal on 13 minutes when Andy Keepence was given the freedom of Bourne Park and he headed home via a despairing defender.

Wood should have been two up two minutes later but Bangura fired a Leon Archer cross over the Brickies goal from just two yards out.

However, they soon scored their second when the ball was passed inside to Michael Black who revelling in the space afforded him blasted the ball past Fewell.

Sittingbourne were giving a number of free kicks away and on 28 minutes Leon Archer latched on to one and fired past Fewell for number three.

Woods goalkeeper Noel Imber, who had made some spectacular saves in the corresponding  fixture in Hertfordshire, hadn't been troubled all game so far but on 37 minutes it looked as though Tanner would get in a shot but he dithered on the ball and the ball was swept off his foot.

In first half injury time Neal at last had a run only to brought down on the edge of the area by Keepence. The referee deliberated whether Keepence was the last man but in the end decided otherwise and gave him a yellow card instead of red. Tanner's resulting free kick was easily gathered by Imber. 

Damian Hodge replaced Paul Ainsworth for the second half but it was Wood who struck first when a good run by Chris Watters ended in him striking the ball into the net past the static Fewell.

Two minutes later Bangura made another amazing miss when he sliced a Watters cross wide when it looked easier to hit the target.

However, on 60 minutes Bangura at last found the net when he latched onto a free kick in the Brickies area and bundled the ball across the line for Woods fifth.

Clint Gooding had been treading a tightrope with some of his challenges and on 65 minutes he was booked. Six minutes later he committed a challenge on James Bunn and the referee sent him off.

On 72 minutes Fewell watched as  Bunn's shot struck  the far post  then Hodge became the second Brickie to receive his marching orders after picking up his second yellow in 17 minutes.

The nine men of Sittingbourne then managed to hang on without conceding any more goals. This result will have rocked Sittingbourne but on paper they have a sterner test ahead as next Saturday they entertain league leaders Fisher Athletic!
Sittingbourne : Fewell, Coyle, Hill, Gooding, Campbell, Ainsworth (Hodge 46), Ashmore, Douglas, Neal (Browning 74), Tanner, Dowley, Subs: Nolan, Scott, Friend.